Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » It's Official: Dolby now owns Doremi

Author Topic: It's Official: Dolby now owns Doremi
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2014 11:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received the release today. Dolby now, officially, owns Doremi. Furthermore, all Doremi product will be branded Dolby going forward (existing stock will not be re-badged but new stock will carry the Dolby name).

So who is the #1 server company now? [Razz]

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-04-2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wonder which font they'll use on the new gear.
[Confused] [Razz]

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2014 12:04 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they going to maintain the Doremi product line? What about offices and support staff?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect that they will take what they want from the Doremi hardware/software and incorporate it into their products, eventually discontinuing the Doremi. Time will tell.

Sony has not had a good track record of maintaining separate brands, especially in the professional products divisions.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-04-2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not realise that new Doremi servers will be Dolby branded! [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For now...they are maintaining both product lines. I would suspect that there would be a merging of them in time, however. As for staff...again, from what I hear...both are still on but again, I would have to think that there would be a consolidation.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-04-2014 07:02 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
more software RAIDs...

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-04-2014 07:07 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a storage device, like a NAS, that has nothing else to do besides "storing stuff" and putting it on the network, I don't really mind software RAID. Actually, there are several software RAID systems like ZFS already outperforming many entry- and mid-sized hardware storage solutions.

But for a box (a playout server would probably qualify) that has a lot more to do, hardware RAID should still be preferable.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2014 01:31 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All be damn. I wonder why Doremi wanted to sell? Must of been a great offer.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-05-2014 01:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely will give GDC a run for its money ....

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2014 06:59 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/extURLs.aspx?id=417
---
(Reuters) - Dolby Laboratories (DLB.N) on Monday received EU clearance for its acquisition of digital cinema technology group Doremi, the European Commission said.

The Commission, which acts as the competition watchdog in the 28-member bloc, said that while there was overlap between the two companies in the digital cinema servers business, the merger did not distort the market.

"The proposed transaction would not lead to any anti-competitive effects because of the presence of alternative suppliers, the fast-moving nature of the market and the ease of switching for customers," the Commission said in a statement on Monday.

In February, Dolby said it had agreed to acquire Doremi for $92.5 million in cash and $20 million in contingent consideration.

(Reporting by Robert-Jan Bartunek; editing by Adrian Croft)
---

No anti-competitive effects... well, as a matter of fact, in some areas of the world there is only Dolby or Doremi to choose from, I have yet to see a Qube or GDC in the wild around here.

Meanwhile, Doremi already adjusted their support contacts to reflect the final aquisition:

http://support.doremitechno.org/index.php/news/news-letter/630-doremi-dolby-support-comtacts

---
AMERICAS
Please contact the Americas support team by phone at +1-415-645-4900.
At the prompt, please select option 3 for cinema support, and then select option 1 for Dolby product support
or option 2 for Doremi product support.
In addition, you can send an email to the Americas support team:
Doremi products: doremisupport@dolby.com
Dolby products: customersupport@dolby.com
EMEA
Please contact the EMEA support team by phone at +44-1793-842-130.
At the prompt, please select option 3 for cinema support, and then select option 1 for Dolby product support
In addition, you can create a case on the Doremi support portal: http://support.doremitechno.org/ticketing
You can send an email to the EMEA support team:
Doremi products: doremisupportemea@dolby.com
APAC
Please contact the APAC support team by phone at + 86-10-5910-3066.
In addition, you can send an email to the APAC support team:
Doremi products: doremisupportasia@dolby.com
JAPAN
Please contact the Japan support team by phone at + 86-10-5910-3066.
In addition, you can send an email to the Japan support team:
Doremi products: doremisupportjapan@dolby.com
These contacts can assist with technical issues, return material authorization (RMA), software downloads,
Doremi license message (DLM) generation, and general questions.
In addition, for Dolby products, the customer can log a case on the Dolby support portal at
www.dolbycustomer.com or send an email to the support team at customersupport@dolby.com.

==============================================================

WHOM DO I CONTACT FOR SUPPORT FOR MY BROADCAST PRODUCTS?

AMERICAS
Please contact the Americas support team by phone at +1-415-645-4900.
At the prompt, please select option 2 for broadcast support, and then select option 1 for Dolby product
support or option 2 for Doremi product support.
In addition, you can send an email to the Americas support team:
Doremi products: doremisupport@dolby.com
Dolby products: broadcastsupport@dolby.com
EMEA
Please contact the EMEA support team by phone at +44-1793-842-130.
At the prompt, please select option 2 for broadcast support, and then select option 1 for Dolby product
support or option 2 for Doremi product support
In addition, you can create a case on the Doremi support portal: http://support.doremitechno.org/ticketing
You can send an email to the EMEA support team:
Doremi products: doremisupportemea@dolby.com
APAC
Please contact the APAC support team by phone at + 86-10-5910-3066.
In addition, you can send an email to the APAC support team:
Doremi products: doremisupportasia@dolby.com
JAPAN
Please contact the Japan support team by phone at + 86-10-5910-3066.
In addition, you can send an email to the Japan support team:
Doremi products: doremisupportjapan@dolby.com
These contacts can assist with technical issues, RMA, software downloads, DLM generation, and general
questions.

In addition, for Dolby products, the customer can log a case on the Dolby support portal at
www.dolbycustomer.com or send an email to the support team at customersupport@dolby.com
---

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: