Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Giving people your address

Author Topic: Giving people your address
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 08:30 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't my idea, but it's a good one.

I created a simple black-and-white graphic that contains my name, address and email address written in a plain, easy to read font.

The graphic is the same resolution as my cell phone screen, so it fills the screen exactly.

I created a shortcut to the graphic on my phone's home screen.

Now when someone asks me for my name and address I can just go "click" and show him my phone.

Beats having to spell everything out or write it down.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 09:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also means that if lose your phone while a significant distance from home and it falls into the hands of someone criminally inclined, all they have to do is go "click" and they have the address of somewhere that is uninhabited and that they can burglarize in peace.

A few years ago a criminal gang was busted at Manchester (England) airport. They would simply walk up and down check-in and baggage drop lines taking cellphone pictures of the luggage tags of groups that clearly looked like families departing on an overseas vacation. They would then read the addresses from these pictures, knowing that they had at least a clear week in which to do these properties over.

When I read about this I stopped putting my address on my airline luggage tags, and instead replaced them with a label stating my phone number, email address and airline e-ticket number. That will give the legitimate authorities the information they need to find out my address if they need to, but should keep that information out of the hands of criminals. My cellphone needs a four-digit combination to unlock the screensaver (to which it goes after a minute of inactivity), so the information in it is safe from your average street criminal.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-15-2014 07:30 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many cases, your address is already in there. The average smart phone user has dozen of contacts, often including their own, e-mails and all kinds of other sensitive information stored on there (just ask those celebrities who had their private pictures stolen not so long ago [Wink] ).

I think what Google is doing with their latest smart phones, where they encrypt everything by default is the only way to go, especially if more criminals start to realize that the information on those phones is often worth a lot more than the actual device itself. Now only Google knows everything about you...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-15-2014 10:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just make business cards that contain the information you want to share with people.

You can buy perforated business card stock at the office supply store and run them through your computer printer. Just type them up using your favorite application and print as needed.

That way, you control the information and who gets it. It's actually pretty convenient for interacting with receptionists and order takers, etc.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-15-2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not "checking in" at airports, hotels and restaurants is an awful good start for preventing burglaries while you are out of town, but good luck with getting that through people's heads.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-15-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people start posting their vacation photos while they're still on vacation, I like to get on their timeline and post something like "Glad to see you're out of town and having a great time! We'll be by sometime this week to pick up all your stuff. Thanks, The Burglars."

This always results in them saying "Oh, no, we've got the neighbors watching our place!" (as if that actually ever stopped any real talented burglars).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-16-2014 06:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope...we leave dog(s) at home and actual house-sitters/dog-sitters with them. Much prefer that for the dogs sake as much as anything else (hate the thought of kenneling them).

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-16-2014 03:10 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in 'Vegas, I was with my brother and his wife so there was always someone home when I was out on the road. And three animals in the house to keep each other company. When I moved to Duke City I became very much a singular person, so during my road trips I hired some neighbors who run a pet-sitting service (my Great White Hunter kitty was by himself otherwise). So I felt I could give out contact or trip info with only the usual precautions, such as the ones Leo mentioned.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2014 06:08 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
as if that actually ever stopped any real talented burglars
Well, if they're talented burglars, they'd be able to take care of business whether or not the family's on vacation. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: