Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » White Christmas ?

Author Topic: White Christmas ?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2014 06:15 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if a majority of Carmike Theaters across the Country are going to show this old Bing Crosby Holiday Film but 2 of our Multiplexes are going to show it December 14 & 15 in the Evening. While I have nothing against this Film and have probably seen it a Dozen Times on TV; I wonder why Carmike would pick this Christmas Film verses say "The Christmas Story"(Peter Billingsley) which I would personally like to see on the Big Screen or Even a Colorized Version of "IT's a Wonderful Life"

I would venture to say that almost everyone up here has only seen IAWL on Television. Even though it would be in the old Academy Aspect Ratio; I would still like to view this Classic Film on a Big Theater Screen. I believe "The Christmas Story" has overtaken any other Holiday Movie years ago as Even one of Ted Turner's TV Stations shows it nonstop for 24hrs starting on Christmas Eve going back more than a decade.The Movie had such a Short Theater Run back in 83 that most fans of the Movie have never seen it to this day on a Theater Screen.

I just don't think "White Christmas" was that great of a Film that Carmike could have picked something more Popular with Christmas related Films. I would actually pay a premium to see TCS...I'll pass on White Christmas [thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2014 10:16 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring back VISTA VISION® for It Christmas run.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2014 02:05 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White Christmas is a Fathom Event via National CineMedia.
Select Cinemark locations will be playing IAWL on Sunday the 21st and Christmas Eve as part of the Classic Series.
But, sadly, there are no locations close to Steve...
We have played it before and it has done quite well, so Steve's hunch is right.
And, strangely, White Christmas does well, too. Though I would not see it either.
Another title that does well on the big screen is Wizard of Oz. Go figure...

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Christmas Story not The Christmas Story.

And VistaVision.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-13-2014 05:21 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Holiday Inn," the film that first used the song, White Christmas, is arguably the better film.

Another holiday option is "The Lemon Drop Kid, a Bob Hope comedy famous for the song "Silver Bells" (though a Bing recording preceded it).

Both are B&W. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-14-2014 12:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gremlins is the quintessential Christmas movie for me, preferably double-billed with It's a Wonderful Life (many of the jokes in the former make a lot more sense if you've seen the latter is fresh in your mind).

As for resurrecting VistaVision, I guess if Tarantino were to do a remake of White Christmas, he might try it...

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2014 01:36 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeffry L. Johnson
A Christmas Story not The Christmas Story.
My Mistake;It had to be "THE SOAP POISONING" for the error [Eek!] I have watched this Movie probably more than any other Film in my Lifetime.One of Peter Billingsley's best Performances! [beer]

-
"I Told You Not to Use The LifeBuoy"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2014 09:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just played the original Home Alone for a matinee and we had a real nice crowd for it. I didn't know what to expect but everyone loved it. Makes me wonder if we shouldn't bring back some more 'classic' Christmas movies for matinees.

I was watching "Trading Places" on TV today and had forgotten that it's also a Christmas movie.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-15-2014 07:26 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elf also seems to be a big Christmas Fave.

For the last five years we've done It's A Wonderful Life for our last show of the year (we close during most of December). We do well enough to make it worthwhile. This year our one screening outgrossed every screen in town except Mockingjay (and that had about 10 shows a day per theatre).

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the 60th anniversary of White Christmas. That is probably why Fathom is doing it.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE" Here is an Article concerning how the Film fell into The Public Domain and What Happen After...Interesting Read! [thumbsup]

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2013/12/05/wonderful-copyright-life/

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2014 04:36 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Resurrect VistaVision? At last a use for Mark Gulbrandsen's projector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: