Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » It is very cold in Hawaii now (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It is very cold in Hawaii now
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-04-2015 04:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know many of you are living where the outside temperature is below zero and I have personally experienced such cold situation during my many trips to the US mainland before but the cold climate we have now here in Hawaii is different from previous winters. I have normally found the cold temperature during past winters very refreshing after our hot summers with high humidity but the cold temperature seem to be different this year. At about 12:15 in the afternoon, the outside temperature is now 76 degrees with a very cold nip in the air but it was about 59 degrees this morning where I live. It has been this cold many times here before but nothing like this year. With the wind chil factor, it feels like the temperature is in the forties with a biting cold

Both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa our two highest volcanic mountain peaks on the big island of Hawaii is now snow capped after a severe storm the othe day.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2015 04:41 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Claude, but I have zero sympathy.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-04-2015 04:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I was not asking for your's or anyone's sympathy. I only wanted to comment about our unusual winter.

-Claude

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-04-2015 05:03 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had tornado warnings last night [Wink]

I recall when we lived in Hawaii, around 1969, it got to it's lowest recorded temperature (at the time). I think it was 54 degrees. I went swimming that day. The water was fine.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-04-2015 05:39 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is only my second winter living in Southern California, but people who've lived here all their lives are telling me the last week has seen the coldest temperatures they can remember. The lowest the sensor in our backyard has recorded was 24.2 Fahrenheit / -4.2 Celsius, overnight on January 1-2. A poinsettia that had been growing nicely for a year was nuked by the frost, because we didn't think to bring it in. I spoke to my mother in London on January 1, and the daytime temperature there was a full 10 degrees warmer!

A colleague mentioned that it last snowed in downtown LA in 1948. If there had been any precipitation over the last few days, I'm sure it would have done again.

I guess that the unusually cold weather in Hawaii is part of the same weather system.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2015 06:43 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had different weather, here in Leeds, U.K. Some days (and nights) have been quite warm as in sat out drinking coffee wearing a light weight top. When I left my cinema at around midnight the other day, it was 14 degrees C which is rather warm for that time of night in January. In years gone by I have driven home at -7/-8 degrees at this time, and always had a big coat on.

Todays, however was sunny, but stuck at 0 degrees c, and yes tonight by midnight, after sun down, the temp went up to 4 degrees,

I can't keep track, and it's certainly not how it used to be!

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2015 09:37 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday:

-

It didn't stop there either, it got to 36.1C, which is 97 in old money. Too damned hot for me!

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2015 10:21 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't keep track, and it's certainly not how it used to be!
Definitely not. 2.58 million years ago, the most recent ice age began. A few hundred thousand years later most of the ice melted.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2015 10:34 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude***Some day with all the mixed up weather around the globe you may have a few days of 32 and snow on the palm trees and beach. The people of Hawaii will panic and have no heaters to buy at the store. Get out your warm coats and blankets. Cover up the tropical plants or they may get frost freeze bite when the day comes soon!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2015 10:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
With the wind chil factor, it feels like the temperature is in the forties with a biting cold
In Montana, the only time anyone would equate "the forties" with a "biting cold" is if we were in the forties BELOW zero. I'd give my left frozen nut for a temp in the forties right now.

Right now we're at +2 F with about 12 to 14 inches of snow expected over the next two days.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-05-2015 02:02 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-35 Farenheit here right now but the temperature is dropping overnight. It was -42 when I went out this morning, and it's supposed to be about the same tomorrow morning.

Garbage pickup day here is Monday mornings, but the garbage collectors don't do the pickup when it's -40 or below. We didn't get any garbage pickup here last Monday and we won't get it tomorrow, so I'm stacking bags of garbage in my garage. Can't put it anywhere outside or the ravens tear it up and make a huge mess.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2015 02:28 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude being cold has me wondering how large the arctic mass was that descended upon us the past week, and seems to like it down here and continues to putter around.
The area south of Austin is having a freeze warning tonight.
24 in Southern California? Never thought I would hear of that...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-05-2015 09:01 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Predicting 18 overnight Weds in Montgomery. I can hear the pipes bursting all over town already.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-05-2015 06:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Honolulu Star Advertiser on their online blog yesterday reported record low temperature in the mid fifties, Saturday night in Lihue on Kauai, Kahului.on Maui and here in Honolulu. It was just as cold last night and it will be the same tonight and the rest of the week.

Normal winter temperatures in Hawaii should be at about a high of 78 and low of 68.

-Claude

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2015 10:51 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude**You need to get on the next plane out and go to NYC and wait outside to get into a movie theatre on 42nd ST Tuesday. Then you will know what true COLD is.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: