Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Odd Screen for 1929

Author Topic: Odd Screen for 1929
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-24-2015 02:31 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone heard of other theaters with this feature, and more important, when and how it was used? Possibly in preparation for Grandeur films, but no indication (yet) it was installed here.
quote:
Film Daily - October 20, 1929 - Automatic Screen for Publix Ala. Theater - Montgomery, Ola.[sic] - An automatic screen which can be made to expand or contract in proportion to the size of the picture is to be installed at the new Paramount here, according to Hoxey C. Farley, director of the local house. The screen will permit the showing of life size pictures and may get narrowed for closeup. The new house is scheduled to open in December.
I also presume this was done with masking, but who knows?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was for MagnaScope

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-24-2015 07:45 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Article
The screen ... may get narrowed for closeup
Mr. Farley had a premonition that The Horse Whisperer would be released 59 years later and decided to get his masking system installed and tested in good time?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-24-2015 09:50 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like MagnaScope, indeed:
http://vitaphone.blogspot.com/2006/12/of-magnascope-and-vocalite.html

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2015 10:53 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Paramount Publix either owned or had controlling interest in
the Maganascope process, and they were installing it in many of their
"A-List" theatres in large cities built in the 1929-1930 time period.

The screen was equipped with both horizontal & vertical maskings:
 -
(Sorry I can't make this larger, but original exceeds the size limit)

The masking changes were made by (union!) stagehands:
 -

In addition to a large screen and masking system, a 'proper' installation
also used a 3rd projector.

According to old tech documents, Simplex built a special "72degree"
high speed intermittent movement for the Magnascope process:
 -

To get the larger picture, the "Magnascope Projector" was equipped with
a lens that was half the focal length of the theatre's 'normal' projection
lens, thus giving an image that was almost twice the size:
 -

The information above came from an article in a 1929 trade journal and
was written by the head of the Paramount Publix projection department.

The same article was also published in a 1929 issue of "International
Projectionist", which, I think, you can find online someplace.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-25-2015 12:52 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jim. Good to know Montgomery, Ala was "A-List" in 1930;>
The Paramount Theater cited still stands. It is now the Davis and is a legit house. All of the film equipment, and anything related to film, was removed in the early 80's. Compared to the Alabama in Birmingham, which opened a couple of years earlier, the Paramount was quite mundane, but still a nice theater.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-25-2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the Magnascope masking had to be adjusted manually using pulleys from behind the stage - they didn't have motorized masking with preset stops at that point.

I'm guessing that motorized masking with presets didn't arrive until the mid-1950s, when smaller theaters (of the sort that wouldn't have had backstage staff to operate pulleys) had to change aspect ratios during a show for the first time.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2015 05:30 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo- The earliest movable masking system I'm aware of was the "Vallen
Sound Mask" which came out in 1928. It only changed the masking on
the left side of the screen, which was necessary when projecting
"Movietone Aperture" prints, to eliminate the black bar you'd otherwise
have on the left edge of the image. I'm not sure these were "upgradable"
when the Academy aperture arrived on scene in 1930
 -

1929 Advertisement:
 -

Old ads & info I have on file show it was available in both manual
and motor driven models. Interestingly, tech info I found in one
old theater manual sez that the masking motor only ran in one
direction, leading me to believe there must have been an electrically
operated reversing gear as part of the driving mechanism.

In researching my earlier reply, it seems that most Magnascope
installations included something called a "Vocalite Sound Screen":
 -

Don't know much about "vocalite" screens, other than that they
were "porous, but not perforated" . . however that worked [Confused]
 -

(As in interesting aside, I grew up in Roosevelt NY, but moved away
in the early 1960's, when I was very young, so I have no idea if the
"Beaded Screen Corporaton was still 'in town' back then)

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Paramount in Oaland Ca had a magnascope screen which was used almost till Pearl Harbor day. It was motorized and controlled from the booth. They had A Brenograph effects machine which had designs on it and filled the area that had been covered by the masking. Very impressive. Although I`m 92, I never got to see Granduer or anything that filled the larger screen.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-25-2015 09:21 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I'm not sure these were "upgradable" when the Academy aperture arrived on scene in 1930
Presumably when the silent/Vitaphone and Movietone ratios went away (by 1933 or thereabouts), you just took the Vallen system out (or left it, fully retracted and powered down, to gather dust), got yourself a pair of slightly shorter lenses (of the focal distance needed to fill your old, silent screen with the Academy 1.37 image) and aperture plates cut for 1.37, and that was that for the next two decades.

The main attraction of the Vallen system must have been to houses that were either showing silent and Movietone prints interchangeably, or both sound-on-disc prints and Movietone (or all three), and that would only have been happening for a 3-5 year period.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2015 07:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old Ironsides was exhibited in Magnascope

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: