Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theaters Scrambling For Pre-Movie Ads As Companies Grapple With Economy, Tsunami

Author Topic: Theaters Scrambling For Pre-Movie Ads As Companies Grapple With Economy, Tsunami
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-05-2011 08:09 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Theaters Scrambling For Pre-Movie Ads As Companies Grapple With Economy, Tsunami

Source: deadline.com

quote:
Here's why you no longer see so many of those high-testosterone Army National Guard recruitment ads in movie theaters before the trailers: It's due to budget cuts in Washington -- and the National Guard doesn't need to hunt for applicants in this anemic economy. "A lot of people go into the military because they can't find jobs in the private sector," National CineMedia CEO Kurt Hall told Wall Street analysts Thursday to help explain why 1Q earnings were so disappointing at the No. 1 seller of movie theater ads. The company reported a net loss of $1 million, down from a $1.2 million profit in the same period last year, on revenues of $59.1 million, down 12.8%. Hall warned that the business is in for more turbulence, even though movie theater owners expect to fill seats this summer and TV networks predict robust ad sales in their upfront market. Japanese auto and consumer electronics companies are among the biggest advertisers in theaters, and they don't know whether they'll have enough parts to meet their production goals following the country's earthquake and tsunami. "They don't want to spend a lot of money (on movie theater ads) if their products aren't going to be in the stores or dealerships," Hall says. The lost advertisers are hard to replace. National CineMedia says it only has about 300 national clients. But he had some encouraging news for investors, although not necessarily for moviegoers: The company is starting to sell a lot of pre-movie ads to insurance companies.

|  IP: Logged

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2011 12:18 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our shows are actually starting at the time advertised! I hope the economy continues to tank.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-06-2011 12:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! I hope it tanks NCM right out of business. I think the world would be a far better place. Nobody can argue effectively to the contrary.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some movie theater chains, such as Warren Theaters, don't play a half hour of TV commercials and trailers before the show. Every time I have watched a movie at the Warren Moore 14 the pre-show package ran in under 5 minutes (Warren policy snipe, 1 or 2 movie trailers "attached" to the virtual print, Warren feature snipe, THX trailer, feature).

Warren makes up for the lack of TV commercial revenue and slide show revenue with all the extra customers they're gaining from nearby theaters as well as people who just haven't been going to theaters.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby I agree with you and Warren seems to be a well run outfit. I think the 2K on the big screens is a bad but the theaters are clean and staff is well trained and friendly. I haven't ever had the extra funds to try the balcony in the big theater. I still think those slopped floors in the main theaters was a cop out Coopers had modified stadiums and balcony's in the 60's so I'm sure it could have been done for Warren.

I hate all the TV style commercials and rolling stock ads (even though we do have to run them here). I miss the good old days when you got 2 or 3 previews and a movie and no BS crap about some HBO or Showtime mini-series, car comerical, or other garbage!

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What ticks me off is that at one point a few weeks ago,
I was running ads on screen for at least 4 TV networks.
(Showtime, STARZ, HBO, MSNBC) Do we really need to run ads
whose purpose is to get people ot stay home & watch TV?
It seems to be the cinematic equivilent of "shooting
oneself in the foot."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2011 11:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the commercials for TV shows in a movie theater is really sort of perverse.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I kind of prefer the "between shows" atmosphere to be pretty low key. Nothing on the screen (and preferably curtains closed in front of it). Perhaps some house music, maybe even music from the score of the movie that's fixing to play. The GCC Northpark 1-2 did this for certain shows, like Jurassic Park. It's one thing that sold me on buying the soundtrack.

Today, especially with digital projectors, a lot of theaters basically have video of some sort playing all the time. There's no more build up to the curtain opening and the show starting. You arrive at the theater 10 minutes or so early to get a decent seat. There's already all sorts of TV commercials, trailers and other fluff playing on screen -even in 5.1 surround. The only difference is the volume gets louder and the screen brighter when the actual 20-30 minutes of pre-show begins. The bean counters may love this approach, but I think it's a strategy that will encourage even more people to arrive later and later with lots of stragglers walking into the auditorium well after the movie has started.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2011 04:24 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would make certain comments on here about pre-show commercials. however, since the owners are very strong believers in it and have a specific company that delivers our pre-show I think I will exercise discretion. I will just say I see no one rushing in to the auditoriums to watch our pre-show presentation. Now when we had music and what amounted to a basic trivia show with the poster of coming soon, pictures from the coming attractions and theater police information people went in early, but that is the past and no more.

I see we are all pretty much in agreement on particular sin of theaters!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: