Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New York Snow Blizzard

Author Topic: New York Snow Blizzard
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2015 10:45 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the movie theatres in NYC and the Broadway theatres be open or closed for the big storm??? Will they have power to heat the popcorn? Run for cover, the giant storm is coming!!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2015 10:58 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Id imagine its all post-poned. I feel for everyone in the path of the blizzard. Looks like a doozy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-26-2015 11:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a storm that went thru here in October of 2013. We just got missed by it -- got a couple of inches of snow out of it -- but it hit our south-east neighbors in Rapid City, SD hard... they had over 4 feet of snow. It wound up stranding thousands of cattle most of which froze to death. It shut down air travel into the area for over a week -- my buddy Keith (who lived there at the time) was stuck in Minneapolis for 9 days because no flights were going into Rapid. He finally rented a car and drove home once the roads cleared up. So yeah, anytime a lot of snow happens it's a bad deal ESPECIALLY in a city where everything pretty much depends on everybody being able to move.

In small towns we just tend to shove that crap aside and keep on going since we can do things like park anywhere we need to during the worst of it, but when we get anything over a foot or so life still becomes a challenge.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2015 11:25 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some of my old trade journals, there are stories of the theatres being
closed on Broadway and in other East Coast cities several times during
both WWI and WWII due to coal shortages caused by a slow down in the
mining industry due to many of the men being sent to war, and also due
to 'war priorities' which gave places like factories, railroads and hospitals
a priority on the available coal supply.

In the 1970's, during the Arab oil embargo, the large theater I where I was
working at in NY had to close several times one winter due to a shortage
of heating oil.

(Fortunately, I was in "The Union", so I got paid for missed shifts anyway)

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The storm pretty much gave NY/NJ a miss, except for eastern Long Island. Problem is, all the chain theaters announced last night in a panic that they would close for the day today, and now they are left with dark screens on a day of only moderate snow. There are a few independents open. The little 5-screen art house a few towns over will open this afternoon, to I'm guessing what will be a very nice evening.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-27-2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got about 1.5-2' of snow today here in Boston (and still coming). All public transportation is shut down and there is currently still a ban on driving. Pretty much every business is closed today as a result (since employees and customers would have a hard time getting anywhere), and many schools have even cancelled classes for tomorrow. Roads will probably be clear by early to mid-morning on Wednesday, and I would expect that cinemas will re-open on Wednesday night.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2015 12:52 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> We got about 1.5-2' of snow today here in Boston (and still coming).

And that is where snow belongs... [Smile]

32 miles northwest of Manhattan, we got a devastating 3" (inches) of snow (and it is now sunny out). Nobody can figure out how the weather people got it so wrong.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-27-2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One time the weather report called for a slight chance of rain and we got 3 inches in two days of nonstop downpour. It's definitely not an exact science!

I always thought it was kind of a joke that people would get mad at the TV weatherman for "getting it wrong," but my wife works a lot with a TV station in Billings and their weatherman told her that he frequently gets phone calls at home from people blaming him for "ruining their plans" with the bad weather.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2015 01:47 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weather is chaos.
Though it seemed our ancestors were able to predict when it would rain, or snow, by certain nuances in the clouds, how the sunset looked, what the animals were doing, when flys clung to the door screens...
Then there was the science of weather, where high and low pressure systems were recognized, warm and cold fronts. Predictions could be made for about 24 hours but accuracy was never assumed. They knew it is chaos.
Today the "forecast models", relying on historical data, is constantly used. And now there are mesonets all over the country, recording wind, temp, rainfall, barometric pressure. Still, no accuracy in forecasting. Where did the modern yahoos go wrong? Forgetting that weather is chaos.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2015 04:10 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> Weather is chaos.

No. I do not agree. Weather is physics. As you said, weather prediction is a matter of air pressure, temperature, moisture content, wind speed, etc. They can predict with a great deal of accuracy as far out as they can accurately measure, and that is the rub. When the conditions do not permit accurate measurement, they measure what they can and use various "forecast models" to guess what will happen based upon the measurement they do have, rather than clearly stating that the current state of technology does not permit an accurate forecast and these are the possibilities.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-28-2015 02:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In one sense James is correct in saying "weather is chaos," if you refer to things like chaos theory, fractal geometry and "the butterfly effect."

Ultimately weather is all about cause and effect from many billions of different variables coming into conflict with each other. Evaporation, convection and condensation are some of the biggest variables. The moon's gravitational pull, topography of the land and different water sources all have an effect.

Forecast models don't just compare historical data with current numbers. Powerful super computing systems simulate weather patterns with all sorts of very complex math formulas. Often one computer's simulated result doesn't agree completely with another computer's results.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-29-2015 02:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
Nobody can figure out how the weather people got it so wrong.
Sorry to sound smug, but I can.

I first noticed this syndrome after the so-called "hurricane" in 1987. Michael Fish's infamous weather forecast broadcast a few hours before it hit ("Some woman has just called me up ... says there'll be a hurricane tonight ... well don't worry, there won't") became one of the defining moments in British TV history. After that, it seemed to me that weather forecasters would far rather predict an apocalypse that failed to materialize than fail to predict one that did. In other words, if it's a choice between crying wolf or missing an actual alarm, then crying wolf is the lesser of two evils.

As a general rule, I think short-term (as in, from about a week out) forecasting is pretty accurate, by and large. But it can get the precise timings and locations a bit out, as in this case. The problems come when a major metropolitan area is potentially affected, as happened, here, when the disruption stakes are that much higher.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2015 07:10 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Fortunately, I was in "The Union", so I got paid for missed shifts anyway
And yet, we wonder what caused the demise of Union projectionists... [Smile]

Regarding this Armageddon level blizzard, why does there have to be so much hype and panic. Just use common sense. If there is a major snow storm, stay indoors at home until the worst passes and the roads are plowed. It is a sad state of humanity that we need "States of Emergency" and travel bans complete with threats of arrest.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: