Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Utah theater fined for showing "Hangover II" movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Utah theater fined for showing "Hangover II" movie
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-30-2011 08:09 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah theater fined for showing "Hangover II" movie

Source: Yahoo

quote:
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah movie theater that serves liquor has been fined more than $1,600 for showing "The Hangover Part II."

The fine issued by the state liquor board Thursday is the first for Brewvies, which only allows people 21 years and older to attend their movies and serves food and liquor to patrons. But under state law, many PG-13 and R-rated movies could net the theater a fine because of prohibitions on showing a film with sex acts, full-frontal nudity or even the "caressing" of breasts or buttocks.

While the fine for the first offense was $1,627, repeat offenders may be fined up to $25,000 and lose their liquor license for up to 10 days.

The law is generally used to regulate strip clubs, which aren't permitted to have nude dancers — g-strings and pasties are required to be worn — if they serve liquor. The law is applied only to businesses with liquor licenses, so it wouldn't apply to alcohol-free theaters.

Utah Highway Patrol officers issued the citation against Brewvies in early September after a complaint was filed with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

The movie was in violation because of multiple scenes, patrol spokesman Dwayne Baird said. "Hangover II" includes full-frontal nudity from male, female and transvestite characters and also has a scene showing a monkey simulating a sex act on a monk.

Brewvies manager Andy Murphy told The Salt Lake Tribune they have always complied with the state's liquor laws, and "don't want to shake up anything."

Brewvies got a state liquor license in 2009 that allowed patrons to have wine and mixed drinks. The theater has been open since 1997, but served lower-alcohol beers that only required approval by the city government.

The liquor board established the fine amount for such violations, and there wasn't leeway in the amount for Brewvies, department director Francine Giani said, adding that she's planning to urge the board to revisit their fine schedule.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-30-2011 08:25 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Utah... [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-30-2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats one of three theaters I refuse to service in this area...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-30-2011 09:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I refuse to service in this area
..and "brother" ain't that the truth and fully agree!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-01-2011 12:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Mark, you can't drop that and not tell us why....surely it's not because you disapprove of pasties and monkies simulating sex acts. [thumbsup]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2011 07:57 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, if its that bad, I'd hate to see the other two . . . [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-01-2011 11:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
I'd hate to see the other two
...you don't want to ....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-02-2011 12:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys need to stop this nonsense and explain what is so bad about these theaters... unless you are afraid of them.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2011 11:37 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Mark and Monte! It's about time someone took a stand against such garbage,

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2011 12:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are three customers in my servicing area that I refuse to service and I think most techs have these sorts of people they drive right past. This is one of them and there are many reasons. It is not because this was an R rated movie at all. I could care less what the rating is because I believe in freedom of speech which is what this boils back down to or that they serve booze at this location. I think if the present owner of Brewvies stood up for his rights and freedon of speech that he could have this rediculous law stricken down. I actually serviced Brewvies for many years for it's original owners who were brother and sister until they sold it to the present owner. It was a great place back then...

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2011 01:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you missed the point. You keep saying "I won't service them and two others" but you keep forgetting to say "why". Explain now.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2011 04:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe... Next time they call I'm giving them your contact info and you can find out why! Perhaps Monte will elaborate why... He is doing work for one of them...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I see. You're afraid of their retaliation if you explain why you refuse to service them. I understand. Either that or you don't actually have a valid reason.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2011 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few and they don't all pertain specifically to the above mentioned theater... I think every tech has had experiences with people like these.

1. Dirty theaters, so dirty I'm afraid of getting my tools and equipment dirty or bringing home creepy crawlers.

2. They don't pay their bills... one client pays COD to the entire world and thats fine, one of the others I have to go track them down to get paid and I don't have time to do that.
I have slow paying customers that are struggling and they always pay with in 60 days or so or they let me know when they will pay. I don't mind helping those people out when they need help and they normally run pretty nice theaters and keep em clean.

3. Equipment that is so shitty that it should have been in the land fill two decades ago. Now keep in mind that I still service theaters that have E-7's and Supers. But they are very well taken care of and are actually very good machines when used within their limitations.

4. Etc, Etc... these two are my favorite reasons!

4a. People that come in and buy decripid locations and think they can turn them around even though they know absolutely nothing about this buisness... but pretend that they do. This is the absolute worst type! I call these the go out of buisness in a hurry type.

5. A projectionist that works at one of the locations that I do service used to work at one of the above mentioned establishments. He got canned for having the house lights up too high... The owner's excuse for firing him was that all the patrons could see how dirty the theater was. Thats ok though, one of my favorite locations now has a really good projectionist. I think he might even be on Film-Tech once in a while. His dad is also a very good projectionist.

6. None of the other area dealers or techs will service these locations. Not even if hell freezes over.

Now you know some of the story. You'll have to wait for the rest of it when my Biography is released in 2025. I am including a paragraph or three about you too Joe! You'll be in Chapter 7 and 13...

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2011 01:13 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always pictured Joe as a chapter 11 kind of guy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: