Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RealD Shares -15.5%

Author Topic: RealD Shares -15.5%
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-02-2011 06:20 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
REALD SHARES DROP

Source: deadline.com

quote:
The after-hours trades gave up the 9.5% gain in RealD shares on Wednesday before the market closed. And the strange thing is that earnings for fiscal 2Q were way ahead of forecasts: The 3D movie technology company had net income of $19.2M, up from a $4.2M loss in the period last year, on revenues of $88M, up 34.7%. The earnings, at 33 cents a share, compare to the Street’s forecast of 22 cents. But investors also expected revenues to come in at $94.4M. Fiscal 3Q could be worse: RealD says that only eight 3D films will be out in the quarter vs nine last year, including six that had domestic box office sales of more than $100M. Samsung’s decision not to make LCD screens for RealD’s 3D TV technology could be a big blow to its home entertainment ambitions. CEO Michael Lewis says that RealD now is ”pursuing other potential partners.” Samsung ”had a recent management change, reviewed all their projects and decided not to go forward with the RealD technology at the moment,” Lewis said. “We’re still bullish on the technology … despite the headwinds we encountered recently.”

RealD isn’t taking sides in the fight between Sony and exhibitors over who should pay for 3D glasses. “We are confident that the industry will reach a resolution” that benefits everyone, Lewis says. Meanwhile, he defended RealD’s technology, saying that it offered “twice the brightness of our competitors.” He says that some studios including DreamWorks Animation and Relativity are producing brighter versions of their 3D films. “Higher brightness creates a halo on the entire consumer experience,” Lewis says. The company noted that 3D accounted for 46% of the total box office for films offering the option last quarter, and Lewis says that’s “the appropriate expectation.”

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-02-2011 08:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good time to buy shares!!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-03-2011 01:13 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You do that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-03-2011 01:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mark has stock in RealD and is trying to use reverse psychology.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2011 05:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Notice Mark didn't say "what" to buy shares in. [Wink]

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 09:30 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolute would be a good investment! I use to buy shares of it all the time and drink them down.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 07:53 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is their claim that RealD is brighter than all the competitors valid or just smoke and mirrors? Or an outright lie?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 10:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's marketing.

We saw every 3-D system imaginable at CinemaCon and Dolby was indistinguishable from RealD, at least from where we were sitting.

Some of the other manufacturers were shortchanged by having their presentations done in the trade show or banquet rooms rather than in the main theatre so it is hard to make comparisons for all of them -- but none seemed amazingly brighter or dimmer than the others to me.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-21-2011 02:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on what you define as "brighter." If one were to judge by light efficiency alone, then the Real-D XL is the most efficient at about 28%.

If one where to judge by how bright one can get before ghosting, then Real-D is the worst...ghosting starting to be visible at around 9-10fL.

If one were to judge by overall brightness across the entire screen, Real-D will be one of the worst (as will any silver screen method) because the overall brightness is going to be lower on the higher gain screens (bright in the center but darker everywhere else).

-Steve

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2011 09:46 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my major pet peeves about the stock market. A company can have a great quarter, but because it didn't meet the expectations of a group of money men who have nothing to do with or have any experience in the industry in question, the stock gets hammered.

Recently, Apple announced its third quarter earnings. Best 3Q revenue ever. Sales of iPad 2s blew away every tech expert's wildest fantasies. But some guys and gals on Wall Street decided Apple's record-breaking earnings weren't good enough for them, and the stock got hammered for a couple days.

Wall Street hasn't met my expectations in a very long time, but it's still enjoying record profits. How do I get them to get downgraded?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2011 11:17 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
the overall brightness is going to be lower on the higher gain screens (bright in the center but darker everywhere else)
Reminds me of when I did work at Harmony Gold . We had installed a 5/70 for demos. My first trip there was to exchange the power supply. I forget the reason why. I made the mistake of getting there after their tech had already removed the "old" supply, so I hadn't seen an image onscreen. When I fired it up, the owner was in the booth and said it looked like crap. I said it looks like you have a high gain screen. Hot spot in the middle when viewed from the booth. He assured me that it was a matte screen, so I didn't go down and double check. I spent all fucking day checking every alignment, moving the lamp table, working distance, you name it (it is hard to work with an owner standing behind you). Turns out it was a high gain screen. The owner even insulted me by calling in a local tech (who verified everything i said). Oh well, I spent a couple days in Beverly Hills on his dime, he was paying all expenses and I had booked my room and travel arrangements with a couple extra days.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-26-2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
This is one of my major pet peeves about the stock market. A company can have a great quarter, but because it didn't meet the expectations of a group of money men who have nothing to do with or have any experience in the industry in question, the stock gets hammered.
There's a lot of things I don't like about the stock market.

For so-called investors the stock market is nothing more than an institution of legalized gambling. Simple as that. It sure as hell isn't any sort of bank even though most people who own stock view it that way. The romantic notion of a guy with seed money helping a great business idea become reality applies only in very rare cases. Most of the time greed is the only thing driving share holders.

Businesses typically "go public" out of some basic need to get a lot of venture capital at once. Some may have no choice in doing so. But they forget the fact share holders are ultimately partners with motives different from theirs, with short term gain at the expense of long term loss being the most common motive.

Journeyman CEOs and other traveling executives for hire have a very screwy and sometimes unethical relationship with a public company's board of directors. A company's vision is supposed to be about selling a product or service to the customer. The customer is supposed to be what matters. Too many CEOs and company boards lose sight of this. They get into the business of selling company stock instead.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 12:25 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
Wall Street hasn't met my expectations in a very long time, but it's still enjoying record profits. How do I get them to get downgraded?

Well, you start with 4 or 5 thousand people, get them to being tents and sleeping bags and you OCCUPY Wall Street and you make use of that as a media magnet to draw populous attention to the fact that they are indeed a legalized gambling institution that has the potential to severely hurt the economy -- that they need to be closely policed, not "self-regulated."

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-30-2011 12:40 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
....to draw populous attention to the fact that they are indeed a legalized gambling institution that has the potential to severely hurt the economy -- that they need to be closely policed, not "self-regulated."
Hallelujah Brother!

Agree 100%.

But how can this be enforced and still allow 'normal' market forces to operate?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: