Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn' Filmmakers Ask Online Leakers To Stop

Author Topic: 'Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn' Filmmakers Ask Online Leakers To Stop
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-01-2011 04:34 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
'Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn' Filmmakers Ask Online Leakers To Stop

Source: deadline.com

quote:
Online leaking of premature footage and piracy has been the bane of filmmakers for years. The latest victims: Summit Entertainment and the creative team behind Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn. They've issued a statement about leaked images that have been spreading across the web. The letter is from author Stephenie Meyer, director Bill Condon and producer Wyck Godfrey. Meyer is no stranger to this. She hadn't finished a side novel she was writing about a Twilight character when it was leaked. Meyer understandably felt so violated she never finished the book. Eventually, she published the prose on her own website for Midnight Sun. Here is their statement:

As some of you may know, pictures and screen grabs of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn as a work in progress have leaked on the internet. We are extremely proud of this film and also extremely heartbroken to see it out there at this stage.

The film and these images are not yet ready or in their proper context. They were illegally obtained and their early dissemination is deeply upsetting to the actors, the filmmakers and Summit who are working so hard to bring these movies to fruition to you in November 2011 and November 2012.

Please, for those who are posting, stop. And please, though the temptation is high, don’t view or pass on these images. Wait for the film in its beautiful, finished entirety to thrill you.

Sincerely,

Stephenie Meyer, Bill Condon, Wyck Godfrey and Summit Entertainment

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 07:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait for the film in its beautiful, finished entirety to thrill you
...when you view it illegally on your iPhone.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 10:05 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait for the film in its beautiful, finished entirety
I thought they were talking about a Twilight film. [puke]

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2011 10:11 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering at this point this HAS to be an inside job, there must be some way they can figure out who the culprit(s) is(are).

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-25-2011 03:27 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly - this is hype generation.

I assure all of you - nobody's dusting for fingerprints in the editing bays at Summit.

I used to love this industry so much. Was it always like this and I was just too young and naive to realize?

Two minutes ago, I wasn't even thinking about TWILIGHT. And now? Now I have to go and Google these effin' pictures.

Two minutes ago, I didn't even know there was gonna be another TWILIGHT movie. And now I know. And now I'm tormented by the fact that I have to wait til freakin' NOVEMBER to see it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-25-2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look, I think we can all understand that these folks are rightly disturbed that there could be a leak like this -- no one wants their work to be seen before it is ready. You don't want people to see "The Making Of...." documentary showing the tricks behind the magic BEFORE they see the movie. And whether or not you are cynical enough to think it this is a marketing ploy to hype interest (I know it is possible -- like Hollywood doesn't pull this stuff all the time), in this instance I am on the fence -- it COULD be a legitimate reaction to this very early leak. Like all this stuff that filmmakers gnash their teeth about, in the end it can only really help generate ticket sales, especially of these cult movies.

I have always felt that these kinds of leaks, like the unfinished version of what was it, IRON MAN?, only make people who have interest in the film even that much more intersted. I don't see how it can hurt them to for people to see still captures or even short clips if that's what's out there. What's the difference between this and "teaser" attractions?

And as John says, this has to be an inside job and THAT should be a lot more upsetting to these three people -- that one or more of their own is a Judas. If they have such a weakness and lack of security in their operation, chances are a lot more than just screen captures will be smuggled out to the internet when the film is completed, like the complete film with encoded 5.1 sound on bootleg DVDs and on fileshare sites like iwannadownload.com. Instead of writing a laughable internet plea (like any TWILIGHT fan who finds this stuff won't "view" it because of that statement), they'd better do some real sluthing work and plug this hole before any more really substantial stuff gets leaked.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: