Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Did Sony Leak The Red-Band Trailer For ‘Dragon Tattoo’?

Author Topic: Did Sony Leak The Red-Band Trailer For ‘Dragon Tattoo’?
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-31-2011 11:36 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Sony Leak The Red-Band Trailer For ‘Dragon Tattoo’?

Source: celluloidjunkie.com

quote:
Over the weekend the Internet lit up with news about a pirated version of the red-band trailer for the English language remake of “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”. It wasn’t long before speculation arose that Sony Pictures, the distributor releasing the film, had actually planted the trailer on YouTube as part of a viral marketing campaign.

Adapted from the first novel in Steig Larsson’s best selling trilogy, “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” is being directed by David Fincher and is due to hit theatres worldwide before the end of the year. A Swedish adaptation of the novel was a worldwide hit when it was released in 2009.

The online appearance of the red-band trailer had movie bloggers frothing at the mouth for a number of reasons, including the popularity of the source material and Fincher’s stature as a modern day American auteur. But what really got their juices flowing was a growing conspiracy theory that Sony had purposefully leaked a trailer.

The Hollywood Reporter and Mashable were some of the many media outlets to point out a few inconsistencies:

While the trailer starts out looking as if it was captured secretly with a camcorder inside a dark movie theatre, after the first few seconds the off-center, shaky image becomes more steady and clear.
The quality of the audio is much better than traditional camcorder versions of pirated movies and the video can be viewed in HD.
The red-band trailer for “Dragon Tattoo” was only released in theatres internationally, however the online footage begins with the MPAA’s red-band advisory notice. This poses the question as to why international markets would show a an advisory from a U.S. ratings board.
My initial instinct was to dismiss all the conspiracy theories as click bait – you know, kind of like the headline of this post. Everyone working in the global exhibition and distribution industries is working diligently to squash camcorder piracy. Why would a Sony participate in a marketing effort that features such illegal activity, even if they were trying to implement a guerilla campaign. After all, this is the same studio that pats down members of the industry on their way into trade show screenings in search of camera phones. (In all fairness, all studios do that these days).

Then I began to doubt myself as the weekend came to an end and the video had not been taken off YouTube. Could it be that whoever is in charge of filing take down notices at Sony was off enjoying a long holiday weekend? Or was Sony really behind the “rogue” video, releasing it to U.S. audiences in a way that lent it some illicit curiosity factor to help build buzz, while at the same time giving them plausible deniability should anyone protest the flashes of blood and nudity.

If Sony truly is responsible for posting the red-band trailer of “Dragon Tattoo” online then their actions have had the desired effect. Outlets such as Deadline, Empire Online, Entertainment Weekly, First Showing, Hitfix, the Los Angeles Times and Vulture, along with 200 others, all covered the story. (I guess you can make that 201 now). The trailer has been watched over a million times on YouTube as of Monday evening at a rate of 20,000 views per hour. This may come as no surprise to Sony who learned just how much buzz can be generated by putting a trailer online when they posted the teaser for David Fincher’s last film, “The Social Network”.

So, what do you think? Did Sony surreptitiously post the red-band trailer of “Dragon Tattoo” online? Finally, does anyone know if MPAA advisory notices appear on trailers released in overseas markets?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2011 12:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care about this, but I wish they would put out a red-band trailer for "Bad Teacher." The sanitized one takes pretty much all of the best humor out of it.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-31-2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Mike... they don't NEED to make red band trailers anymore because the green band now says that the trailers are for "APPROPRIATE AUDIENCES". So now they can make any trailer that they want and it's up to you (or your corporate office) to decide if you only program it in front of "R" rated movies.

I'd love to see the green band go back to "ALL AUDIENCES" and then have more red bands - or maybe even some yellow bands.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-31-2011 03:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever seen a yellow band trailer. Red band trailers are pretty rare.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-31-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I wish they would put out a red-band trailer for "Bad Teacher." The sanitized one takes pretty much all of the best humor out of it.
There is one.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-31-2011 05:10 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was suggesting they create some, Bobby. Seems kind of silly to have a green band (the kind that used to essentially be "G" rated) trailer for Saw or Jackass.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2011 07:30 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers used to have only 2 ratings, Green for all audiences and Red for restricted.
I recall Comedy Central airing the Fargo trailer, as a paid advertisement, by running the 60 or 90 second Red Band trailer. One of the characters said "shit", which is why, I believe, that edit did not get the green band then.
It would not surprise me if Sony "leaked" the Red Band trailer, but like Mike I feel it's S.F.W. If this somehow puts more butts in theater seats, then by all means "leak" out more red bands. Otherwise like Britney Spears shaving her head, it's only a distraction.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2011 11:02 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats really funny about all the Dragon Tattoo stuff this past week is last Monday, I noticed on one of the Trail Mixes shipped to us that the new trailer was on there. So I loaded it up and as soon as we closed I watched the trailer. It was the red band one that was "leaked" this weekend. I went on IMDB and posted a quick thing about the trailer and my thoughts. I went to bed and when I went and checked my normal movie sites that I check daily they all were running stories based on what I had posted on IMDB.

Kind of funny that I started the ball rolling about the trailer on the web. My only claim to fame if that really is a claim lol. As far as the trailer goes, I think it was probably leaked by Sony. Last weekend we received a film version of the same trailer but wern't allowed to put it on anything. Its a good trailre and I'm excited for the film.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-05-2011 06:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I wish they would put out a red-band trailer for "Bad Teacher."
OMG there is a red band version and it soooo makes me wanna see it! LOL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: