Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World' Smells Like Trouble With Aromascope

Author Topic: 'Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World' Smells Like Trouble With Aromascope
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-24-2011 02:21 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
'Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World' Smells Like Trouble With Aromascope

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

quote:
If you think the 3D movie trend is getting tired, you’re right. "4D" is here and Dimension Films thinks it smells like a success. The studio announced Friday that Spy Kids: All the Time in the World will be offered in 4D with Aromascope.

"Families are going to love the interactivity of this new addition to the movie-going experience,” director Robert Rodriguez says. “And best of all, you won't have to pay extra for 4D Aromascope, which will be provided to every theater whether it be 2D or 3D.”

Basically, each moviegoer will receive an Aromascope card and there will be eight opportunities to rub the appropriate space on the card and get a whiff of whatever’s happening on screen.

The concept of interacting with a film via scents has been around for a while actually. The 1960 film, Scent of Mystery, didn’t give viewers any options. Producers injected 30 different smells into the theatre during the film. Director John Waters included scratch and sniff cards for an enhanced version of Polyester in 1982. And the animated film Rugrats Go Wild! used sniff cards in 2003 as an homage to Waters.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-24-2011 02:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you smell the desperation?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2011 04:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can definitely smell somethin'.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2011 01:34 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Waters did this 30 years ago with Polyester.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2011 09:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...that's something I definitely won't want to bother with... We want the audience to smell that fresh popcorn!

Really, it's beyond stupid. What are they going to do -- flash a number on the screen asking you to sniff a certain spot on a card? And what kid is going to hang on to said card in a dark theatre while wearing 3D glasses?

Yep this one stinks.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2011 04:41 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! It's happening! I predectied several months ago, that as 3D dies, the next big thing would be smell-o-vision. film-tech thread
I apologize to everyone for being right.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 07-12-2011 06:11 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That stench you smell are the common sense and creativity of studio execs rotting away.

Cheesy franchise + stupid gimmick + 3D crashing = Studio desperation.

Will this crap never end?

Give the public great stories, interesting characters and quality production and 'they will come'.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2011 10:04 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobert did 3D on the last SpyKids flick before it was widespread in theaters, this is just another such gimmick, I doubt it will see widespread use.

I shudder to think what gimmickery might be implemented on a 5th SpyKids.

Here is a history of the Spy Kids franchise:

"Spy Kids" - Robert Rodriguez is pissed off at Hollywood for making him direct "The Faculty", so he makes his next movie in his back yard with the neighbors' kids

"Spy Kids 2:The something-or-other subtitle" - After being shown footage from the then-unreleased Star Wars Ep II, Robert Rodriguez is pissed off he had to shoot Spy Kids on crummy old analog-y film, so he shoots it again on digital video.

"Spy Kids 3:Hopefully this franchise is Over now" - After seeing "Ghosts of the Abyss" in 3-D, Robert Rodriguez... says "Hey, I bet I could bash out another 'Spy Kids' flick over a weekend and get even more money.

"The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl:Not a SpyKids movie, even though it looks suspiciously like the last 2" - Darn it all, the kids from the spy kids movies are growing up too fast and getting jobs in other movies, such as they are. Hey, Sonny, make up a story and Daddy'll make it into a movie.

"Spy Kids 4:We're all broke now" - Robert Rodriguez is late on his alimony payment, but fortunately the kids from the first 3 movies are out of work now, albiet old enough to have kids of their own. Screw it, we'll make it work.

"Spy Kids 5:the curse of Bobert's insatiable need for female companionship" ...

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2011 10:17 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Lasher
I shudder to think what gimmickery might be implemented on a 5th SpyKids.
Feel-Around (TM), of course!

Feel-Around Cinema

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2011 12:15 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

. . .

Well it'll help the unemployment rate if nothing else.

"Mommy the movie's touching my--"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-14-2011 09:05 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With so many of the movies Hollywood studios are releasing lately if they include an AromaVision® card it only needs one scratch and sniff option: shit.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-21-2011 07:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Waters has done that one already. [bs]

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 01:35 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feel-Around (TM), of course!

That was shot at my theatre! The Rialto in South Pasadena. Now closed and slowly rotting away. [Frown]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 07-22-2011 05:13 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winnie the Pooh - now THAT would be great in Sniff-A-Rama.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: