Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » George Lucas Speaks Out Against Altering Films in 1988

Author Topic: George Lucas Speaks Out Against Altering Films in 1988
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-31-2011 10:39 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas Speaks Out Against Altering Films in 1988

Source: slashfilm.com

quote:
In the 1980s, a controversy swirled in Hollywood when there was a notion to colorize black and white films. The issue made it all the way in front of Congressdue in large part to the passionate backing of several important filmmakers. Eventually, their efforts helped to establish the National Film Registry which, to this day, takes historically significant films and preserves them in their natural state forever.

On March 3, 1988, George Lucas was one of those filmmakers who spoke in front of Congress. The same George Lucas who, in the two decades since, has continually tinkered with his signature Star Wars films from the Special Editions through the prequels and right up to the Blu-rays, which caused massive mainstream controversy this week due to new changes including a digital Yoda and Darth Vader’s new dialogue. But on that day, 23 years ago, Lucas delivered a rousing speech that condemned exactly what he’d end up doing himself.

Thanks to the website SaveStarWars.com for this speech. Ladies and gentleman, here’s George Lucas:

My name is George Lucas. I am a writer, director, and producer of motion pictures and Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm Ltd., a multi-faceted entertainment corporation.

I am not here today as a writer-director, or as a producer, or as the chairman of a corporation. I’ve come as a citizen of what I believe to be a great society that is in need of a moral anchor to help define and protect its intellectual and cultural heritage. It is not being protected.

The destruction of our film heritage, which is the focus of concern today, is only the tip of the iceberg. American law does not protect our painters, sculptors, recording artists, authors, or filmmakers from having their lifework distorted, and their reputation ruined. If something is not done now to clearly state the moral rights of artists, current and future technologies will alter, mutilate, and destroy for future generations the subtle human truths and highest human feeling that talented individuals within our society have created.

A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as “when life begins” or “when it should be appropriately terminated,” but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with “fresher faces,” or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new “original” negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

There is nothing to stop American films, records, books, and paintings from being sold to a foreign entity or egotistical gangsters and having them change our cultural heritage to suit their personal taste.

I accuse the companies and groups, who say that American law is sufficient, of misleading the Congress and the People for their own economic self-interest.

I accuse the corporations, who oppose the moral rights of the artist, of being dishonest and insensitive to American cultural heritage and of being interested only in their quarterly bottom line, and not in the long-term interest of the Nation.

The public’s interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work.

There are those who say American law is sufficient. That’s an outrage! It’s not sufficient! If it were sufficient, why would I be here? Why would John Houston have been so studiously ignored when he protested the colorization of “The Maltese Falcon?” Why are films cut up and butchered?

Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself.

I hope you have the courage to lead America in acknowledging the importance of American art to the human race, and accord the proper protection for the creators of that art–as it is accorded them in much of the rest of the world communities.

The important thing to note about this is that Lucas is talking largely about the rights of the author to claim their work which, of course, he has as Star Wars is his work.

So while there is hypocrisy in his words, the fact is his words still give him – the author – the right to do what he wants.

(Note: I changed a bit of the wording at the end as I wasn’t using the correct phrasing. I think the point remains intact.)

Thanks to Brandon Schaefer for the heads up.

Further reading here.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-31-2011 11:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note: Spielberg also spoke out against colorization back in the day, on similar grounds as George. And in 2009, when was "called out" by a student at USC, he said it was okay for a director to alter his own work after-the-fact, in his opinion. Spielberg makes a distinction between the artist and the copyright holder. I wouldn't be surprised if this is also George's rationale.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-01-2011 01:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But who is "the artist" when it comes to movies? George didn't direct parts 2 and 3. Is the writer considered the artist? The producer? Directer? The guy who wears the most hats on any given production? Or the copyright owner?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2011 06:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I controlled the laws...

I would require the copyright holder to surrender the copyright (make it public domain) to the original work if they wanted to issue an altered version of that work (and also seek copyright). Or perhaps...give one a year or so to issue director's cuts as well as theatrical...but none of this going back years/decades. The original theatrical version would have to be the definitive version for as long as the copyright exists.

One thing Lucas tends to harp on is his "vision" (though not in his speech above). And that his alterations are a means to further realize his "vision" that he couldn't do originally due to limitations of time and/or technology.

One thing is a fact about vision...it degrades with time. This is true both physically as well as philosophically. Lucas is looking at his vision now with blurry eyes and can't really tell what is sharp anymore. This does not take away from he continual genius as we are all living with his many visions...right down to the change in this industry right now with DCinema. While digital would eventually overtake film, even without George Lucas...there is no question that he and his companies have pioneered and pushed the whole way of making movies as well as showing them. He definitely sped up the timeline by showing that it could be done with his own movies. In society, one always stands on the shoulders that came before you in order to achieve further heights...he has done this many times.

But as for going back to alter a previously released work...he is guilty as all of the others that felt they could/should "improve" something that they really don't have the vision (anymore) to do and end up ruining the movie and altering history, which is the real tragedy.

-Steve

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-01-2011 08:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
I wouldn't be surprised if this is also George's rationale.
While that's a fair reading of parts of what he said, he referred to "people" who alter works of art for profit as barbarians and not "people who don't own the copyright." But I imagine he won't understand the distinction.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-01-2011 01:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
But who is "the artist" when it comes to movies?
Excellent question. I rolled my eyes too because, having worked on movies (including directing a few short ones), I know that ONE person doesn't make these things.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A letter about NOT altering films written by the Big Cheezit Of Film Altering himself. Oh come on!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-01-2011 01:29 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when the big hullaballoo started about colorizing B&W films and these guys started whining about "artistic integrity" etc. At the time I thought, where were these aholes for the previous 10 years when every Sunday Night at the Movies broadcast and every VHS release of every 'scope film was a mutilated Pan&Scan in a way that defies comprehension? But not a peep from any of the same guys who would becoming supercilious and getting their pantyhose all up in knots over colorizing?

At least with colorized B&W films, you cold turn down the color control on your TV. There was nothing you do to see a P&S film correctly. And the BIG difference, colorization of course was that it was never being done TO FILM - it was being done to video, and VHS video at that. Colorized crap was hardly destroying the film experience because back then; watching film on a 19in TV set with VHS resolution, well, how much more of a degradation would colorization really do to THAT experience? But P&S? That was a TOTAL abortion and nary a word from these guys. So when they started in about colorization, I couldn't take their complaints seriously. I also thought, I bet they wouldn't be making all this noise if they were getting a nice cut from the colorized sales and rentals!

But that was changing VIDEO -- this stuff Lucas and the rest are doing today is changing the moviegoing experience itself. They are showing these messed with messes in movie theatres. AND they are making the originals unavailable -- PURPOSELY.

And I agree 100% with Steve -- copyright protection was ALWAYS intended, right from its very inception and written into the law, to be limited with a specific termination date, and THAT intent is STILL in the law. The primary intent of the law was ALWAYS to insure that THE PUBLIC had ACCESS to the works of artists and writers. That is why works were intended to go into THE PUBLIC DOMAIN after a relatively SHORT period of time -- 24 years with the possibilty to extend it another 24, total -- 48 years MAX.

More interesting is that Congress gave copyright monopoly protection to authors only a by-product so they would be encouraged to create more works, which would enlighten the public. In other words, so they wouldn't have to work as blacksmiths and waiters. But that only comes out of the laws PRIMARY intent which is to encourage creative discoures. The framers of the law saw it as a public good. The author of the work was secondary.

More importantly, the protection was NEVER intended to be in perpetuity as the studios have been able to get Congress do, plying Congress apparatchiks with wine, women (no doubt boys when necessary) and $ong to pervert the original intent, as in has now it has become the life of the artist plus 75 years. And what, if you don't mind my asking, is "the life" of 20th Century Fox?

So when Lucas, Speilberg et al guys want to go and CHANGE the original film, and on top of that, REMOVE IT remove it from the PUBLIC DOMAIN, then that should IMMEDIATELY TERMINATE copyright protection. The original work should revert to Public Domain. PERIOD. Sure, let them get off mucking around with their movies all they want until they croak, but they don't get to take the originals that have become part of the American collective experience and withhold them....Philistine pigs that they are.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2011 07:34 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once tried turning down the color on a broadcast of a colorized movie. The grayscale wasn't the same; it was dull and lifeless. Nevertheless Frank, you have a good point--those films were never permanently altered. In the case of Ted Turner, he funded restorations of those movies to be colorized, and both the color version AND beautiful B&W versions were made avaiable to the public.

Conversely, Lucas wants nothing of the original versions of his movies available, which from the standpoint of the histories of film and American culture, is ill-advised. The first two Star Wars movies produced are in the National Registry, you know, films that are culturally significant. Which versions are being preserved, the versions the culture saw in 1977 and 1980 respectively, or the later, tarted-up versions?

Good luck, future film scholars!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-03-2011 05:22 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary, you are absolutely right -- Turner struck many new prints of MGM titles when they held the MGM library and our theatre benefited from it many times, getting really fine, spanking new prints for many of the classics. And the work they did was top-draw (unfortunately not Vision stock, which was not yet available). And these were slow speed printed on the best stock at the time, so in most cases they were the equivalent of EK or Show Prints and a FAR cry from that one sees in today's high speed jobs. It was a good time for the art circuit.

To their credit, Turner was very conscientious about maintaining good 35mm prints and it was due in at least part, to the profits coming from the colorization releases on their channel and on VHS and cable rentals. There may even have been some 70mm prints come out of that era too, not sure. So for a retrospective art house operator, I would freakin jump for joy every time I saw a new colorized VHS come on the market! When a colleague of mine asked why I wasn't more against colorization, I simply said, "If those people weren't lazy pigs and REALLY wanted to see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE the way it was intended to be seen, they should see it in a THEATRE. If they watch it on a 19in TV, they deserve what they get."

Yah, I could be obnoxious when I needed to be.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-03-2011 09:20 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same as it ever was. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: