Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » ‘The Lion King’ 3D Blu-ray Trailer; Plus Full Theatrical Re-Release (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: ‘The Lion King’ 3D Blu-ray Trailer; Plus Full Theatrical Re-Release
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-30-2011 04:03 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
‘The Lion King’ 3D Blu-ray Trailer; Plus Full Theatrical Re-Release

Source: slashfilm.com

quote:
The Hollywood Reporter now says that The Lion King will be getting a full theatrical 3D re-release on September 16 leading up to the Blu-ray release October 4. Read more about the update after the jump. Original article follows.

When Disney released The Lion King in 1994, they were kicking on all cylinders. They’d recently released The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin but after the quality of those films, a follow-up seemed impossible. However, The Lion King delivered big time and to this day remains one of Disney’s most successful films of all time. Though it had a very solid DVD release in 2003, that disc is now out of print so Disney will officially re-release the film not only on Blu-ray, but on 3D Blu-ray later this fall. Yes, The Lion King is getting a 3D post-conversion. They’re even re-releasing the film theatrically, in 3D, at at least one location, Disney’s flagship theater, the El Capitan in Hollywood CA from September 2 through October 6.

|  IP: Logged

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I see it in 2D in theatres? I'd pay extra.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-07-2011 02:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I would be interested in seeing the 3D version just out of curiosity over how it will look -- have they figured out a way to add "roundness" to the flat drawings, or will it just look like layers of flat drawings on top of each other?

But after about five minutes of curiosity-seeking, I would probably prefer the 2D version.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-10-2011 11:39 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conversion 3D is iffy at best, but if anyone will take time and do it well, it will be Disney. I would imagine doing a conversion with animation where they have all the elements preserved separately would make it easier than live action conversions.

I wonder if they will allow this to play on film and in 2D and possibly T3D. Did Disney buy into the Technicolor 3D process or were they one of the studios that said screw film exhibitors?

It is a good thing this is going to be a 3D BluRay release as for some absurd reason, studios are holding back all that 3D product from 3D BluRay, much to the consternation of my two friends who bought 3DTVs. They ask me why virtually none of the big 3D titles are being released on BluRay. I have no rational answer for them, other than lunatics run the movie business.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-10-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studios are trying to soak the TV manufacturers for those stupid exclusive deals, would be my guess.

And, I don't think Disney bought into the T3D system.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2011 03:07 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney, Fox, and Sony are the three studios that don't support T3D.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-16-2011 04:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "LK" came out in 1993 .. for "Pocahontas" was a 1994 release for Disney.

We're running both the 2D and 3D of "LK" - kinda neat to see this classic Disney back on the screen .... but not in 3D - way too much of a layered look...as if the "multiplaning" technique got way out of hand..

..Colorizing B/W films was a better idea of a revising a movie than taking a 2D film and doing it 3D.

...and they're going to do it with "Top Gun"? Heaven help us!

-Monte

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 09:07 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw The Lion King in 2D Digital projection at the AMC Westminister Promenade at 10:30am with my daughters (3 & 7).

I feel a bit like Charlie Brown running to kick the football. I will swear off movie theatres for a bit, and then return, only to have my hopes dashed against the rocks like a florescent tube tossed from the roof of a 12 story building.

The first disappointment was that the 3D showing was in the large auditorium while we were stuck looking at a small screen. Not embarrassingly small, but it certainly didn't feel like a big screen experience.

Next up, the image looked like it was being projected through a dirty stocking. And there was a pair of streaks of vertical light on the screen.

On the audio side, it should have been a half-turn louder. A wildebeast stampeed should be gut-rumbling. Of course, the biggest sound fx came from the screaming infant in the back.

Despite all of the above, it was nice to see a good movie for a change... I suppose. Should I keep bothering? Should I just wait and watch at home?

E.T. and Raiders are coming out on BluRay next year and part of me is really excited for the possibility of a theatrical re-release. The other part of me... well, you know.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-18-2011 09:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
Should I keep bothering? Should I just wait and watch at home?
That's what I tend to do. The people in charge of running Denver-metro area movie theaters are not capable of a quality presentation any more. This is something that nobody contests, but many people simply "tolerate". They have no reason to put on a good presentation. I went back and forth with AMC a bit with the shit-tastic presentation of their MPX or RPX or whatever it is that they have. At least they responded (though I have no clue if they made any attempt to fix the issues). Regal absolutely NEVER responds. Their customer service is entirely as poor as their theatrical presentations.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's 'ETX' Joe - as for the ETX presentation I saw, the image didn't impress nor did the soundmix (notably the bass, or the lackthereof)

Matthew Black
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2011 09:48 AM      Profile for Matthew Black   Email Matthew Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it was the actual movie sound mix that was subpar. I was watching it in one of the auditoriums at my theater, and this aud usually has really good bass (enough to hear in the hallway through a door during loud booming parts.) No matter how much I turned up the volume, the movie sounded flat.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lion King was Summer 1994, Pocahontas was Summer 1995.

And our shows of LK3D outperformed out LK2D shows 4:1 in attendance this weekend.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-20-2011 03:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty sucky the one sheet posters have the Blu Ray release and date on them too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2011 12:18 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours don't say that, but they do say "In theaters 2 weeks only."

It's not doing that well here, but the people who are coming are loving it. We've had a lot of people coming with their parents, who had brought them to the original showings. I blame a lot of high school sports over the weekend. We'll see how it does in week 2. Smaller crowds are easier to take when the movie is really good. At least you know the people who do come are having a great experience.

3-D is massively outdoing 2-D here as well. We had a 2-D matinee and it was pretty sparse. We had zero people for our 2-D show on Friday (although it was a 9:00 show so that partly explains it).

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2011 03:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Black

I wonder if it was the actual movie sound mix that was subpar. I was watching it in one of the auditoriums at my theater, and this aud usually has really good bass (enough to hear in the hallway through a door during loud booming parts.) No matter how much I turned up the volume, the movie sounded flat.

my laserdisc AC-3 Dolby Digital sounded far superior than what I heard in the theater last Friday.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: