Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'Top Gun' Coming to Theaters in 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 'Top Gun' Coming to Theaters in 3D
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-12-2011 04:52 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
'Top Gun' Coming to Theaters in 3D

Soruce: hollywoodreporter.com

quote:
Tony Scott’s 1986 classic Top Gun starring Tom Cruise is being converted to 3D for a theatrical release.

A four-minute 'world premiere' preview of the converted film--featuring the 'Danger Zone' aerial flight sequence--was screened Monday at the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in Amsterdam.

The 2D to 3D conversion is being accomplished at Legend3D, whose CEO Rob Hummel introduced the clip as well as its unique business model during an IBC panel.

"We think there is great potential for catalog titles in 3D, but studios have had trouble justifying the expense," Hummel said, explaining that Legend 3D is funding and doing the conversion for Paramount.

"As I understand it, they are planning to release it in 3D in early 2012, though I known they want to get Tony Scott’s approval before they go forward," he said, explaining that Legend 3D effectively has a revenue sharing deal with Paramount.

"I think Top Gun lends itself to 3D due to the aerial flight," he said of the project. "You can have fun with 3D by bringing things off the screen if they are not attached to the edge of the screen."

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-12-2011 04:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top Gun's barely even worth watching in 2D.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-12-2011 05:28 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--featuring the 'Danger Zone' aerial flight sequence--
What sequence would that be then? [Roll Eyes]

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2011 08:56 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They gotta rerelease the classic NES game based on the film in 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCXNXGvYfVk

Just imagine how exciting that sixteen-color borefest will be in three-dimensions! [Big Grin]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2011 01:57 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Surely you jest!

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 09:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember at the time of it's initial release it was fun, but seeing it again on bluray I thought this is pretty dumb.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2011 02:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Barely? Try putting "not" in there instead. I've never understood the appeal of this movie, and the flight sequences are ridiculous. It is nothing more than a bunch of what is essentially stock footage of somebody looking around with a helmet covering their head inter-cut with various footage from the ground of the airplanes flying around. Ed Wood could've done just as good of a job, and on the first take too!

Blah. [Roll Eyes]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a stupid idea. Upper managenent-morons have no clue.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-07-2011 09:25 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Art Scholl died while filming some of the aerial POV shots for this film - what a waste.

My flying buddies and I all had a good laugh when this came out - it was an enjoyable afternoon at the movies for us all, even if only to laugh at all of the stretching of various aviation truths replete with hokey screen writing. As one buddy, a Viet Nam era Navy A-4 driver put it, "How many supersonic low passes do you think you get in a career?"

I admit audiences sure seemed to eat that shit up back then though. I predict it won't do so good this time around.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 07:55 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need for GREED. [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-09-2011 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...a lot of us have been griping for years about remakes, saying that a re-issue of the original would be a better idea. Disney proved it works with Lion King, so why not something like this?

I just wish the re-issue wasn't followed immediately by the DVD re-issue. Give it a couple of months at least.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2011 10:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just forword it up to the last two reels... That's the only marginally good part.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2011 01:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot resist posting this again.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2011 02:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What movie is that from?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2011 11:36 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's from Sleep with Me released in 1994.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: