Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » James Cameron Now "In the 'Avatar' Business. Period." (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: James Cameron Now "In the 'Avatar' Business. Period."
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-07-2012 12:45 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
James Cameron Now "In the 'Avatar' Business. Period."

Source: iwatchstuff.com

quote:
He conquered Mariana Trench; he fixed the scientific inaccuracies of his Celine Dion music video; he executive produced Sanctum; and now, all those distractions out of the way, James Cameron is at last ready to devote all his fatherly love the cerulean baby he rebirthed back in 2009.

Speaking to The New York Times, Cameron has made clear that he is, for now at least, through with producing for other people, as it's not like you remembered Sanctum was a movie, anyway. It's now time for James Cameron to get "in the Avatar business. Period." After all, it's apparently going to take him as many as three more films to finish telling the complete story of Sam Worthington and his endangered forest friends. Said Cameron:

I'm not interested in developing anything. I'm in the "Avatar" business. Period. That's it. I'm making "Avatar 2," "Avatar 3," maybe "Avatar 4," and I'm not going to produce other people's movies for them. I'm not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the "Avatar" landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it.
Cameron added that he, like Iron Man, may work more closely with the China to co-produce future efforts--China obviously being the paragon of the kind of ecological prudence the director aggressively pushes for. Cameron also said "in terms of new filmmakers, up and coming, I haven't seen anybody that blew me away in the last year or so," so nice job letting down James Cameron this year, everyone.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 07:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because the movies he produced for other people were flops?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 08:20 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So . . . . more remakes of "Dancing with Wolves?" louis

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2012 09:31 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised he has not responded to the negative HFR Hobbit issues since he plans to take it even further with the prequels...

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2012 10:35 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He should just stick to making realistic sci-fi movies with Arnold.

What a pompous ass. He's getting to be worse than George Lucas.

AJG

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-08-2012 03:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty high level of pompousness to beat though. At least Cameron puts his money and talent where his mouth is. Lucas hasn't made a decent film in 35 years.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2012 07:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So? Cameron hasn't made a decent film since 1997.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 10:00 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's only 15 years. Georgie has him beaten hands down.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2012 05:49 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I think within the "Avatar" landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it."
Oh joy. I can't wait.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2012 04:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Cameron does not realize that people really aren't all that influenced by what they see in sci-fi adventure films. I mean, I can't remember ever hearing a politician say "We really need to preserve our natural resources, because like we saw in the movie 'Avatar,' blah blah..."

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-13-2012 08:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: "James Cameron"
I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it.
If you are in the movie making business because you want to tell other people what to do you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about James Cameron's "message."
All they want to do is sit in a dark room for two hours, eat popcorn and see some eye candy. (With Cameron, that's more like three and a half hours.)

Fifteen minutes out the theater door and most people don't even remember half of what they saw... Ooh! Look at the kitty!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-13-2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are "affected". One person told me that after seeing Avatar, they were ashamed to be human. It took everything I could muster to prevent myself from giving him a sound beating.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-16-2012 12:14 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Stu, Mike and Randy said. I could tell what his "message" was by watching the Avatar trailers. I'm tired of hearing that message - from him and everyone else in Hollywood. I could think of many much more interesting and important things going on in the world.

I think I might be the only person who has not seen Avatar. And I showed it. I only saw the last three or four minutes of the odd numbered reels - just long enough to do a change over.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-16-2012 09:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We showed it twice -- 2-D on film, then 3-D in digital. I never saw it either time. I just couldn't see the appeal and still can't. And we didn't do all that well on it either...when we played it on film, nobody wanted to see it in 2-D and when we played in 3-D digital, everyone who had wanted to see it had seen it, I guess.

But I have to admit, I'm anxious for at least the first sequel, strictly from a "butts-in-seats" perspective.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2012 06:19 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't suppose 'Sanctum' worked out too well, plus I can see that there's an advantage to not spreading yourself too thin and concentrating on the one thing.

I do hope that Cameron can take time to supervise transfers of 'The Abyss' and 'True Lies' for Blu Ray. New transfers for Terminator 1 & 2 wouldn't go astray, either - they are both yet to reach their potential on Blu Ray.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: