Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Racist 'Hunger Games' Fans Very Upset Movie Included Black People

Author Topic: Racist 'Hunger Games' Fans Very Upset Movie Included Black People
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-26-2012 08:17 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Racist 'Hunger Games' Fans Very Upset Movie Included Black People

Source: iwatchstuff.com

quote:
The first chapter of the Hunger Games trilogy made to to screens in a critically-praised, hugely-successful adaptation, but it's not all smiles for some fans whose Peeta posters are flanked by Confederate flags and unfocused rage. They are very upset about there being black people in their Hunger Games!

As depressingly documented by HungerGamesTweets, many racist fans of Suzanne Collins' books are apparently tweeting their fury over the fact that the actors who played Rue, Thresh, and Cinna are black and, in one instance, Lenny Kravitz. Though (as related by Jezebel) passages from the novel describe Rue and Thresh as having "dark brown skin"--Cinna's skin color is never mentioned--these people are seriously P.O.'d that this description was not interpreted as "dark brown skin (for a white person, obviously)," and they're making no secret of the shameful subject of their wrath.

In the eyes of one terrible person, the movie was basically ruined because someone she did not imagine as black ended up being black. Terrible Person attempted to explain:

why does rue have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the movie
Wow, she is awful! But not as awful as this guy, who questions whether or not he is racist just for saying a super-crazy racist thing:

call me racist but when I found out rue was black her death wasn't as sad
"Oh, does shrugging off the death of other races make me racist? Huh, guess I am. Well, then, in retrospect, I should have probably put a #spoiler tag before telling everyone about both the death and my being a racist, then. Sorry, everyone."

Then this other absolute piece of shit said:

Sense when has Rue been a n****
Because that guy is like, "Fuck you, previous racists, I am so much worse at spelling AND being a human being!"

Sadly, that is only a very small sampling of the crazy person tweets accurately labeled with a #racist tag on HungerGamesTweets. If you have the free time and the drive to lose even more faith in humanity, go ahead and do a little browsing. What better way to momentarily distract yourself from the nation's current, serious discussion about race and murder than with this other, stupider discussion about race and murder and if Lenny Kravitz was the right casting choice?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-27-2012 02:20 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, racist and no reading comprehension.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-29-2012 12:30 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been picked up by a number of different publications and media sources and it's disgusting.

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2012 10:20 AM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try laughable. Why let the morons upset us?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2012 12:48 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When writing stories many authors are very generic on the description of the characters physical appearance. Painting a broad picture for the reader to fill in with specifics. Why because the reader becomes invested in the character when they paint their own picture of them. the author ignore race often if it is not specifically necessary for the story or has little to do with the person you are reading about. I personally never describe my self as Caucasian or white Anglo/Saxon or German/Irish with a touch of Native American. Why would a character be defined in a story this way? Granted it could be important to the story but if not why would you? Let the reader see who they want to see.

When you make a movie you can't do that so an actor has to play the part. Getting upset over weather a person is black or white in Hunger Games is akin to being mad at the new Sherlock Holmes movies where Robert Downey Jr., isn't British, isn't grey eyed, isn't 6 feet 1 or 2 or is six feet, and isn't clean as a fresh daisy. Rather pointless and as to racist can't believe they can figure out how to pour water from boot with the instruction written on the heel.

System Notices

- posted 11-03-2013 11:53 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 565 days since the last post.

Michael Goucher
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2013 11:53 AM      Profile for Michael Goucher   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Goucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since Barack Obama was elected President of the US, the pointy-hat set has been having a renaissance. The Civil War (or-"War of Northern Aggression" as some dare call it) has ended. Hatred of anyone who doesn't look like you and think like you and dress like you do keeps those who damn you to poverty and ignorance in a position to keep doing it to you. Wake up, put down the beer, learn something new and get out from under this blanket of fear you lie under. The only one you're hurting is yourself.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2013 05:11 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said. The hard lesson is to realize that you are the one responsible for your position in life. Stop being a victim and take responsibility for yourself.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-03-2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a quip during the shutdown referring to angry mobs waving flags in front of the White House that sums up some of the willful ignorance.

"There's nothing like waving a confederate flag in front of a Black man's house to show you're not a racist".

Works for me.

System Notices

- posted 01-26-2015 10:33 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 448 days since the last post.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2015 10:33 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Goucher
Ever since Barack Obama was elected President of the US, the pointy-hat set has been having a renaissance. The Civil War (or-"War of Northern Aggression" as some dare call it) has ended. Hatred of anyone who doesn't look like you and think like you and dress like you do keeps those who damn you to poverty and ignorance in a position to keep doing it to you. Wake up, put down the beer, learn something new and get out from under this blanket of fear you lie under. The only one you're hurting is yourself.
I don't know why I read this thread several years late but your post really got me angry. What the hell were you talking about?

Your assertions about a KKK resurgence are ridiculous. We are now 6 years into Obama's Presidency and nobody has made an attempt to harm him.

What you (and other people) forget is that we live in a free country. I am free to hate anybody that I want for whatever reason that I want.

I can't discriminate against people based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. and I can't do harm to people but I can hate them if I want to.

I don't hate people for these reasons but the point is that I have the right to. Kind of the same way that you have the right to be prejudiced against whoever you think is sleeping under a blanket of fear while drinking beer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-26-2015 11:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle, that dude hasn't posted anymore since the one you quoted (which was 14 months ago), so he's probably been banned or has left the fold.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: