Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hollywood’s Grauman’s Chinese Theatre To Convert To IMAX

Author Topic: Hollywood’s Grauman’s Chinese Theatre To Convert To IMAX
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-11-2013 04:55 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Source: slashfilm.com

Hollywood’s Grauman’s Chinese Theatre To Convert Into Third Largest IMAX Theater in North America

quote:
Hollywood’s Grauman’s Chinese Theatre is one of the most famous movie theaters in the world, but in recent years it has become more of a tourist attraction and venue for movie premieres. The theater plans to enter the 21st century with plans to convert the huge theater into an IMAX theater.

CompanyTown has learned the following (which IMAX and Grauman’s have yet to officially confirm):

Imax plans to make the Chinese Theatre one of its main venues for holding premieres of big budget action movies. The new Imax theater will be 94 feet wide and seat 986 people, making it the largest in terms of seating capacity among more than 730 Imax theaters in at least 50 countries. It would be the third-largest Imax theater in North America, only slightly smaller than Imax venues in San Francisco and Lincoln Square in New York City.

Of course, the deal would be subject to permit approval by the city. The bad news is that the new theater will abandon film all-together and run 100% on digital projectors:

The Imax theater is expected to open by September and with new stadium seating, as well as a new Imax sound system and digital projector, which will later be replaced by a laser projector system that Imax is adding to its circuit. The system, expected to be installed next year, uses patents that Imax acquired from Kodak and provides much brighter images and better color contrast than conventional digital systems.

We have not yet seen the possibilities from IMAX’s upcoming laser projection system, but word is that it will be a real game changer. The company has plans to eventually replace all the existing 70mm film projectors with this new laser technology. Grauman’s seating was build on a slight slope and had many bad seats, so stadium seating will be a welcome addition (required for the IMAX set-up).

In addition to upgrading the venues to accommodate bigger premieres, It seems to me the movie is largely strategic to compete against the movie theaters in the surrounding Hollywood area.

The historic 1927 landmark is frequented by tourists from around the globe looking to see the hand prints in the concrete in front of the cinema.

In the early 1990′s, the Walt Disney Company began leasing the El Capitan theatre across the street, thereby preventing Grauman’s from screening any of the new Disney films playing at the other historic theater.

Then in 2002, The Decurion Corporation opened the Arclight Hollywood just a walk down the road in 2002. The proximity of that premiere 14-screen multiplex prevents any film screening at the Arclight from being shown at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre (or the Grauman Multiplex in the Hollywood Highland Center). It also doesn’t help that the Arclight Hollywood is often voted as one of the best movie theaters in the world, making that the choice of film geeks of the area. Grauman’s has been having trouble securing some of the bigger films in recent years.

Putting an IMAX theater in this location may allow the theater to show some of the premier film releases that it wouldn’t already be allowed to screen. IMAX has deals with many of the big studios, but their relationship with Disney has proven to be one of the greatest. I wonder if the mouse house will allow IMAX to screen new Disney releases across the street from their own El Capitan movie theater?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-28-2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rodent does whatever it wants and almost always gets away with it. If it doesn't want Grauman's to play any title that it wants to premiere at the El Capitan, then that's the way it will be.

On the other hand, if IMAX at the Grauman's has laser projection, that might be a big leg up on every other theatre in the area still running xenon. The kicker may be that IMAX may be able to prevent The Rodent from acquiring laser technology for the El Capitan. That would certainly put quite a dent in perceived level of technical excellence of the El Capitan if laser really becomes the cat's meow in terms of presentation quality, but even more-so if it capture's the public's imagination and its perception of quality.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-17-2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admittedly, I'm saying this without having seen laser technology in action, but...

If the average consumer can't tell the difference between 35mm and 2K, then I also question whether they can perceive any improvement on 2K.

Consider also what passes for HD on television nowadays.

Consider also that many people prefer to have 4x3 images stretched to fit 16x9 and don't care how it looks.

The popular appeal of El Capitan isn't exclusively tied to image and sound. It's the overall presentation package. The architecture and historic status of the building. The live pre-show. The exhibits in the lobbies. Making it snow outside (for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) and so on.

...and, of course, the appeal of the "Disney" brand itself.

Bottom line: I think El Capitan will hold its own. They'll be just fine.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-17-2013 12:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The El Capitan arguably has a better looking sign package (marquee and cantilever blade sign) than the Chinese Theater. That's even when taking into account the iconic status of the Chinese Theater's building.

I suppose IMAX' laser projection technology (is it going to be 4K or just 2K?) might draw more crowds if it is marketed right. Sharks with friggin' lasers! That's what I think when I hear their "laser aligned sound" nonsense on the opening snipe at an IMAX Digital theater.

Commercial movie theaters everywhere should be working to make their presentation quality the best it can possibly be. We all know how so much of the general public doesn't get or even care about the details on what makes image quality good or even real "HD." I can tolerate an average home viewer watching SD content stretched to fill their 16x9 TV set. I'll lower my view of any restaurant or sports bar doing the same thing and make it a point in favor of businesses who do show native HD on their TV sets. Any theater lowering their standards on a curve to fall inline with the part of the crowd that doesn't know any better doesn't deserve any respect, much less paying customers.

I have a fairly bad attitude towards some people working in my field who fail to watch the details. If a laymen sends me some web page resolution image he wants to blow up on a billboard I'll have the understanding he doesn't know better. When a person getting paid to do graphics work commits the same error I have to really bottle up the urge of getting angry with him. If the guy knows better and is sending me garbage quality assets then it's clear he doesn't give a damn about doing his job right. If the graphics guy doesn't know better than he's unqualified to be doing his job in the first place.

Anyway, I'm bringing up all this standards and practices stuff because these theaters branded as IMAX, ETX, GTX, DDD or whatever are charging a significant premium above what is already an arguably expensive movie ticket. If I'm going to pay $15 or $20 just for the movie ticket alone (on top of the huge snack counter prices) I kind of expect the presentation quality to not only be top notch, but freaking state of the art as well. If the theater is going to price gouge me they better have some clear justification for doing so. Like sharks with lasers mounted on top of their projectors!

Alessandro Minelli
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2013 07:24 AM      Profile for Alessandro Minelli   Author's Homepage   Email Alessandro Minelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX Laser Projection should be able to finally match Sony R515 contrast values at 8000:1, here is the interview with IMAX CTO:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120059-imax-interview-future-cinema-brian-bonnick

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
If the average consumer can't tell the difference between 35mm and 2K, then I also question whether they can perceive any improvement on 2K.
I don't think the average consumer cares about the technical difference between 2K and 35mm, what they care about is the size of the screen and the size/design of the auditorium.

The Master looked great 70mm however it was often playing on just and average sized screen in my market, this simply does not help promote the format, at least to the average consumer.

Now, with IMAX Digital, yes it nowhere near the impact of a true 70mm presentation, but to the average consumer, this what they are willing to pay for.

But, at the end of the day, it really comes down to the movie playing, that is what really puts people into the seats of the theatre.

quote: Bobby Henderson
I suppose IMAX' laser projection technology (is it going to be 4K or just 2K?) might draw more crowds if it is marketed right. Sharks with friggin' lasers! That's what I think when I hear their "laser aligned sound" nonsense on the opening snipe at an IMAX Digital theater.
I highly doubt IMAX will market the difference, eventually IMAX laser projectors will replace the 2x2 2K set up they have now.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2013 06:58 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I suppose IMAX' laser projection technology (is it going to be 4K or just 2K?) might draw more crowds
2x4k projectors

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now, the latest in this little saga: the historic Chinese Theatre in Hollywood is set to re-open next month with an IMAX version of ... "The Wizard Of Oz", in 3-D, and at $19 each. Is there something in the water I'm drinking? Am I hallucinating? I guess not -- here's the article from today's Los Angeles Times (which may also be accessed directly at Chinese Theatre re-opening)

'Wizard of Oz' in 3-D to debut at renovated Chinese Theatre
By Richard Verrier -- August 6, 2013 -- Los Angeles Times

As it moves into the digital future, the former Grauman's Chinese Theatre will draw from its Hollywood past when it unveils a giant Imax auditorium with a 3-D screening of "The Wizard of Oz."

The new theater, now called TCL Chinese Theatre Imax, will reopen to the public next month with a digitally remastered version of the classic that held its Hollywood premiere at the Chinese in 1939. The Chinese has been closed for renovations since May 1.

TCL partnered with Warner Bros. and Imax to release "The Wizard of Oz" in Imax 3-D format. The theater will host a private premiere at the theater Sept. 15, followed by an exclusive one-week engagement at the Chinese and other Imax theaters across North America beginning Sept. 20.

"This film and the TCL Chinese Theatre are among the best-known and most-beloved icons of Hollywood filmmaking, and of course, the amazing Imax technology represents the future of filmmaking," said Alwyn Hight Kushner, president and chief operating officer for TCL Chinese Theatres. "It's going to be a game changer for the film industry and the city of Hollywood."

The iconic Hollywood Boulevard theater will feature a 90-foot-wide, 46-foot-tall screen in an auditorium that will seat 932 people. It will be the world's largest Imax auditorium in terms of seating capacity among about 730 theaters worldwide.

Consumers will pay a premium to watch Dorothy and her companions on the giant screen in 3-D: Tickets for the "Oz" screening will cost $19.

"There are very few people alive who've ever seen 'Wizard of Oz' in a movie theater, let alone an Imax movie theater," said Richard Gelfond, chief executive of Imax Corp. "We've been surprised by the level of interest we've had in it."

TCL has invested more than $5 million in the renovations, which also include new LEDs on the interior and exterior of the building. Plans to replace the marquee are still underway.

The renovations involved removing the flooring and seating of the Chinese Theatre and did not disturb historic features, such as the ornate lighting fixtures, murals and medallions.

"The Chinese decor has been completely preserved and protected," Kushner said.

Imax plans to make TCL Chinese Theatre one of its main venues for holding premieres of big-budget action movies. The remodeled Chinese will feature stadium seating, as well as a new Imax sound system and digital projector, with plans to replace it with a laser projector system that Imax is adding to its circuit.

Following a model that it has used in other venues, Imax will sell its equipment to the owners and receive a percentage of ticket sales.

"It's a very big deal for us," said Greg Foster, CEO of Imax Entertainment. "It's sort of the perfect manifestation of what we're supposed to do, which is provide an experience for moviegoers that can't be replicated elsewhere."

The storied Hollywood Boulevard theater, best known for its giant red Chinese pagoda, 30-foot-tall Chinese dragon and footprints and handprints of famous stars in concrete, opened in 1927 and was declared a historic and cultural landmark in 1968. Judy Garland, the star of "Wizard of Oz," was the honoree for the 50th handprint ceremony in the forecourt in 1939.

The Chinese is one of the most popular tourism draws in Los Angeles. It was the site of the Academy Award ceremonies in the 1940s and has hosted numerous high-profile premieres.

Warner Bros. spent years on the digital remastering of "The Wizard of Oz."

"We couldn't be happier to partner with Imax as we celebrate the 75th anniversary of this iconic film," said Dan Fellman, president of domestic distribution for Warner Bros. Pictures. "We are excited to give fans the rare opportunity to see this stunning version on the big screen."

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a trailer for the 3D WIZARD OF OZ on the front of PACIFIC RIM at the local min-Imax. It looked absolutely AWFUL. Looked like a bad 35mm print blown up to a large screen. It was in the proper ratio, with no cropping, but the image was VERY fuzzy. Also odd was that the trailer was 2D...you would think they would want to show off something interesting they could do with 3D. Nothing in that trailer that would make me want to see it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2013 10:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 3-D version of that trailer...maybe they ran the 2-D one by accident?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2013 04:25 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMAX 3D trailer for TWoZ looks fantastic on my IMAX 3D screen. There are a number of scenes that have great depth, none more so than the final shot of the trailer, when Dorothy and her friends are traveling down the long green hallway to see the Wizard. I'm excited to see it, and I will not be surprised if it gets a second week of showtimes during the day in front of the IMAX 3D Metallica concert movie.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2013 05:00 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a video of the refurbishment/rebuild of the auditorium.

I suspect the bulk of the difference from the audience perspective will not be due to the IMAX patent technology but the new auditorium seating layout.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-26-2013 05:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like how the video has 52,000+ views and not one comment. Looks like the screen has a height channel, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: