Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kosher Concession items

Author Topic: Kosher Concession items
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2015 09:47 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre that I am currently working at has a large Jewish population in that town. I learned tonight that Sno-Caps is a kosher concession item, and was wondering if anyone else can suggest other kosher concession food items that maybe I could sell at the concession stand to bring up the per cap in the theatre.

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2015 11:11 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your interest!

The most recognized Kosher symbol is the U encompassed by a circle (commonly referred to as the O-U). Also, the word Pareve.

O-U is the Union of Orthodox Rabbis. Pareve means that the food is "neutral". It contains neither dairy or flesh and can be eaten with either.

The extent that an individual adheres to the Laws depends on how liberal or conservative ones beliefs are.

So, you may stock Kosher (Hebrew National) hot dogs or Kosher popcorn. A very Observant individual will not purchase these items, unless the kitchen and serving facilities are Kosher. A less Observant individual will not mind.

You should not have any problems selling Kosher items, such as candy or other goods, so long as it is packaged and sealed with the proper markings.

So, an Observant individual will not purchase bulk items, as the bulk container will not be Kosher.

Also, an Observant individual will not eat flesh and dairy during the same meal. There is a prescribed waiting time between consuming the two items. For example, Kosher hot dogs served on dairy buns.

Kosher items are common throughout most grocery stores.

Feel free to contact the various Congregations throughout your community to discuss their needs. They should be very receptive and appreciative of your interest.

Also remember that Observant individuals will not attend your establishment from sundown Friday night till Sundown Saturday evening. Also, an Observant individual will not eat leaven items during Passover.

FYI, for those health-conscious individuals, Hebrew National has low fat hot dogs, and they are decent.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2015 12:13 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the Info Will !

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2015 05:06 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned all about Kosher when I managed the Byron Carlyle on Miami Beach. As an observant manager I noticed the Jewish population skipping going to the concession stand. I then began to research why. Fairly quickly I figured it all out. I was able to convince my employer (Regal Cinemas at the time) to switch to Kosher hot dogs and buns. We also switched up some of our preparation of such items. I did indeed meet up with some of the local Jewish dignitaries and we improved business at that location at that time.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-20-2015 04:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All it takes is a little consideration. Well done!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2015 02:38 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you now Paul? Still with BCG? I would think they would have no problem getting any food based type of item.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2015 08:47 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at Tri-Boro until 2004 (the year before they closed) Then continued working at my families Assisted Living facility until my mom retired in 2013. Last year worked at the Rustic Drive in, then started last November at Sharon, Massachusetts. What about you?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2015 08:42 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for National Cinema Service until shortly after they became Strong Tech Services and had some BCGs in my territory (and some Entertainment Cinemas too) is Trevor Bailey still the tech in Sharon? I didn't leave on the best terms as I was going through a personal problem but I always respected the people esp Trevor, Andy Lizotte, Mike Labbe, and Dan DeVoe (and of course Bud Shepard and Chris Peirce) One of my biggest regrets is leaving those guys the way I did and not being on friendly terms with them.

After that I was out of the industry until I got sober in 2007-2008 and I went to NYC where I worked as a projecection/sound/lighting tech at the School of visual arts theatre on west 23rd st. I stayed there until I moved back to mass in 2010 to start my own family business which has been very successful.

I am glad your well and thanks for asking.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2015 09:45 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually have Trevor Bailey or Lenny Miller for technicians

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor is a great guy and a great tech one of the best guys I had the pleasure to work with. The name Lenny Miller sounds so familiar to me but I can't place it... Dolby maybe?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: