Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oscars Tonight In Dolby Surround® (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oscars Tonight In Dolby Surround®
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2015 11:27 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see how ABC does with the sound at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood tonight. The Dolby people have spent the money to put in the best surround sound in any theatre around. Hope It sounds good on our home Dolby surround units. Must be nice to hear It in person tonight in the Dolby Theatre Hollywood CA USA. Turn up the volume and lets hear all the live TV split surrounds!!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-22-2015 12:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we'll get the crystal clear sound of the rain beating down on Hollywood Boulevard outside! Ironically, given the drought, we're forecast for some. There were a few spots driving home last night and it's dark and cloudy (at home, 64 miles east from the Dolby Theatre) right now.

They've built a massive canopy type thing straddling the entire street from the Chinese across to the MouseHouse, so they're obviously taking the boy scout approach and being prepared.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2015 12:32 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Monohan
Hope It sounds good on our home Dolby surround units.
I'm sure the young hipsters will be listening to the Oscars on their Dolby Atmos enabled headphones while they Hear The Whole Picture on their 7 inch tablets [Moon]

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2015 02:48 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's a better mix than what CBS did on the Stevie Wonder special. That Stevie Wonder special audio, even though it triggered the 5.1 Dolby Digital on the receiver, had no center channel and no surround audio, at least not as broadcast by WCBS-TV.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2015 05:54 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like old cheap ABC is broadcasting the Live On The Red Carpet in MONO SOUND! The commercials are in surround stereo sound at least as of 3 45 PM PCT. How sad I called KGO Ch 7 ABC in SF and they tell me ABC is sending them a mono signal for the live red carpet. I hope It will change for the main show at 5:30 PM or the pre taped red carpet that starts 1 hour before curtain time. I was the only sound type person to complain? In this day and age in front of the Dolby Theatre I can't believe they are doing MONO with no surround for the live red carpet thing. ABC saves money by not hiring the union sound guys in Hollywood to make stereo surround happen. Wait as of 4 PM Ca time THE RED CARPET IS NOW IN STEREO SURROUND SOUND. Many people may have complained and ABC got the correct stereo feed from Hollywood. All is not lost.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-22-2015 06:30 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overdressed actors answering inane questions about their clothes... in Dolby® stereo. Hold me back.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2015 07:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be completely fair, nobody on the actual oscars telecast really talks about the clothes.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-22-2015 08:06 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be interested in hearing the orchestra mix tonight. Apparently this year the band will play from down the street at the Capitol Records Building - the set design this year took up the space that was previously used for the orchestra pit at the Dolby Theater. Supposedly it is one of the biggest bands yet used at an Oscar show - 65 of Hollywood's best session players for this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZBjtg_adeM

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2015 09:48 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't sit through the Oscars unless I was getting paid to do so, which has been the case for
the past I-don't-know-how-many years. Thankfully, this year I'm working at another big event
and having a better time than I'd be having if I were sitting through that over-hyped drivel.

And IMO, surround sound- - Dolby or otherwise, would only make it worse.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2015 11:58 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't watch this but checked a few seconds, seems that this is one thing that ABC DOESN'T put their stupid logo bug on. Wonder if that's because this is the only thing the industry people actually watch over the air live, and they don't care about the shows being ruined because they get their own copies of those?

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the stereo sound on the red carpet seems like the local ABC station in LA KABC TV sends out a live carpet feed to any ABC station that wants to play It's a pre show red carpet from 1PM to 4PM before the regular ABC live feed. This is what I saw in SF and was in Mono sound. The set in the back part of the stage was one big video wall most of the time. Some looked a little crowded and junkie to me. Strange no one from the stage mentioned the heavy rain going on outside. The only sound problem I heard was a few people hitting the elevator mike pole. To bad someone didn't give Lady G some long sleeves to put over her tatts on her great Sound Of Music song. The clips they showed from the Fox Todd-AO 70mm film SOM looked very crisp and good color. Some of the bleacher crowd outside must have gotten soaked in the rare LA rain storm.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-23-2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With reference to the foreign film Oscar (Ida), I wonder when was the last year in which a live action feature shot and intended for projection in 1.37 and b/w won one? I'm guessing early 1950s.

As for the evening itself, agreed that Lady Gaga's tattoo was gross (and it must have taken Julie Andrews all the self-control she could muster not to say something catty about it), but I did like, immediately after the best documentary award, "And now, as an antidote to all that truth and realism in the nominated documentaries, here are some commercials!"

And Tarantino and Nolan must have been spitting bullets when Larry Hornbeck got his shout-out...

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was just three years ago with The Artist.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2015 01:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
agreed that Lady Gaga's tattoo was gross (and it must have taken Julie Andrews all the self-control she could muster not to say something catty about it)
There had to be some other equally-talented singer that could have done that tribute. It was just another ratings grab. Lady Gaga has a great voice but she's just so kooky, she is a huge turn-off for me. Guess it's my age showing.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2015 06:39 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My home system, which works quite well, did not have any noticeable stereo at all.
The mixing for the nominated songs was just bad! The vocals were low level, and pretty well drowned out by the orchestra.
To me, the clips from THE SOUND OF MUSIC were rather inferior picture quality, especially compared with the live transmission of the rest of the show.
Other than these comments, the rest of the program looked and sounded fine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: