Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Radio Shack Gift Cards

Author Topic: Radio Shack Gift Cards
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2015 10:43 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that everyone here knows that Radio Shack declared bankruptcy. What surprises me is that many other retail stores and supermarkets are still selling Radio Shack Gift Cards, that will be worthless after this coming Thursday (3/5/2015). Gift Cards are considered unsecured debt in a bankruptcy unless the retailer asks the court to allow them to keep redeeming them, which Radio Shack did not.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2015 10:59 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is surprising to find out.

Your post leads me to the question of why anybody would have bought a Radio Shack gift card in the past 15 years.

Once online shopping allowed you to get the components and cables that Radio Shack sold (for much cheaper in most cases), I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2015 11:06 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a couple of Radio Shack stores here a week or so ago and stocked
up on about $150 worth of miscellaneous items that I knew I'd need
sooner or later. (I spent about $150, but got almost 200bux worth of
stuff since there was 25-50% discount on most of the stuff I bought.)

Helpful Hint: Since I own several RS radio scanners & other electronic
items, I went online and downloaded the manuals for all of them, since
I have no idea how much longer you'll be able to get them from their
website. A few of them even have schematics, which may be useful
if I ever have to do any repairs in the future.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2015 11:02 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why Those Filthy Back Stabbers! [Eek!]

-

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-03-2015 02:00 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I wouldn't have guessed they ever got past using paper gift certificates.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2015 08:42 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this means that my Tandy Battery Club Membership will no longer exist... [Smile]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2015 11:50 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mitchell but no more Free Batteries for you ! [Wink]

-

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-04-2015 12:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the last time I was in a Radio Shack was in a mall somewhere.... my wife was shopping for clothes and I was in a "killing time" mode. The store looked just like any other games'n'gadgets store, not a store for electronics hobbyists like it used to be. Considering that most games'n'gadgets folks buy everything online, it's no surprise that Radio Shack isn't relevant these days.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-04-2015 12:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What To Buy At Radio Shack

By Cameron Huddleston

Considering that RadioShack declared bankruptcy a month ago, the message on the retailer's site might seem a bit perplexing. It reads, "We are open for business! Check out our exclusive Web deals."

Our advice: Capitalize on the confusion. While the 94-year-old electronics chain did indeed file for Chapter 11 protection on February 5, many of its approximately 4,000 company-owned stores, as well as RadioShack.com, remain in operation -– at least for now. The ultimate fate of RadioShack is up in the air, so take advantage of bargains before locations are shuttered or sold off.

Deep discounts can be found online and in stores, but the retailer will stop honoring RadioShack gift cards after Friday. Shelley Hunter of GiftCards.com says holders of gift cards are catching a break since it's not unusual for stores to stop accepting gift cards immediately after declaring bankruptcy. Hunter says consumers still are in possession of about $44 million worth of the retailer's gift cards.

Best Values

If you have a gift card you need to use or just want to take advantage of deeply discounted prices, these items should offer some of the best values at RadioShack, according to Louis Ramirez, senior editor of bargain-shopping site DealNews.com:
Smartphones. Over the past year, RadioShack has had some great deals on smartphones, says Ramirez. You might not see many markdowns on the newest models of phones, such as the iPhone 6, but Ramirez says you should see discounts on models such as the iPhone 5c and the LG Volt 4G.
Media streaming devices. Ramirez says that RadioShack has had some great deals in the past on Amazon Fire TV and Roku Streaming Sticks, which let you stream movies, TV shows and more to your television. So he expects these items to be discounted as RadioShack clears out inventory.
Hobby accessories. RadioShack has always been a go-to shop for hobbyists, so it's no surprise that it has offered great prices on an array of accessories, Ramirez says. Among the most-discounted accessories at RadioShack have been emergency weather alert radios, which the store sells for as little as $10, he says.
Smart Ways to Redeem RadioShack Gift Cards
If the items above don't appeal to you or you don't need a new tech gadget for yourself, here are several creative ways you can use your RadioShack gift card:
Stock up on everyday items. Hunter recommends using your gift card to buy items you know you're going to need, such as batteries or phone chargers.
Purchase gifts. RadioShack sells gaming systems, video games and a variety of electronic toys. So if you have kids who like these items, use your gift card to buy them for upcoming birthdays or holidays.
Get broken gadgets repaired. Some RadioShack retail locations offer on-site repair services for Apple and Samsung mobile devices.
Buy items to donate. Hunter says that you can put your gift card to good use by buying items to donate, such as computer keyboards for kids' school or supplies for your place or worship. You can claim a tax deduction if you donate items to an eligible nonprofit.
Buy items to sell. Under normal circumstances, you could sell unwanted gift cards for cash at Web sites such as GiftCards.com, CardCash or Cardpool -– but these aren't normal circumstances. None of the sites is accepting RadioShack gift cards due to the bankruptcy filing and imminent expiration. So if you want cash for your card, Hunter recommends using it to buy something at RadioShack, then turn around and sell that item on eBay or Craigslist.
Don't toss your unused gift card. If you don't redeem your gift card before the deadline, you might be able to get your money back if you file a claim with RadioShack, Hunter says. You'll likely need proof that you have a gift card, so that's why you should hang on to it. There's also a chance that gift cards will be honored by any RadioShack stores that operate under new ownership. It's possible too that other retailers will offer discounts to holders of RadioShack gift cards. When Sharper Image declared bankruptcy, for example, Brookstone let consumers turn in Sharper Image gift cards for 25 percent discounts, Hunter says.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: