Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mike Blakesly requested a sound trailer, I delivered (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mike Blakesly requested a sound trailer, I delivered
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-06-2015 07:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So 5 days ago back in this thread, fellow forum member Mike Blakesley demanded:
quote: Mike Blakesley
Somebody on here (I'm talking to you, Joe Redifer) should produce a cool musical "stereo surround sound" trailer (non-branded).
To which I replied:
quote: Joe Redifer
Careful what you wish for! I have some free time next week I think.
Well I did have a couple of hours free so I made a trailer to grant Mike Blakesley his wish. Well, except that it’s not “non-branded” at all. In fact it caters to his own specific theater. It’s in DCP only. You can download it here:

http://www.joeredifer.com/WelcomeToTheRoxy.zip - 637 MB

It’s in Scope (the format of champions) and also 5.1 surround.

Mike will surely play this before every show at The Roxy.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Kurtzke
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2015 11:24 PM      Profile for Michael Kurtzke   Email Michael Kurtzke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

That was wonderful! Excellent use of the Surrounds!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-07-2015 12:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Downloading as I type... having seen some of Joe's animations, I just hope there isn't too much blood and gore! [Wink]

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to watch it. I downloaded it and tried, but it just plays as green screen.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-07-2015 10:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the best method to use for playing back a DCP on a computer system? I heard VLC Media Player can play a DCP, but haven't tried that.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2015 01:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Excellent use of the Surrounds!
Thanks!

quote: Bobby Henderson
I heard VLC Media Player can play a DCP, but haven't tried that.
It just gives you a black screen at the wrong aspect ratio. It can play the audio though (in stereo). The sound is not placed correctly though. Left, center and left surround come out of the left speaker. Right and Subwoofer come from the right speaker. Right surround is missing. It doesn't seem to be able to play the black screen and the audio at the same time.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-08-2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning. I thought about installing VLC but won't bother. I hadn't messed with VLC since seeing if it would play ripped data from DTS music CDs correctly (it didn't; just stereo when it would play something other than white noise).

There's other software-based DCP players, but they typically cost a bunch of money. I think easyDCP is free, but will only let you play 15 seconds of any DCP at a time.

I'm not aware of any plugins that will let someone import the assets from a DCP into Premiere Pro, Audition or After Effects.

That leads to the obvious question: Joe, can you generate an .MP4 or .MOV so those of us without DCP players can check out the Roxy trailer?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2015 01:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our internet crashed for a while yesterday while I was downloading the trailer but I managed to get a complete download this morning, so I will check it out later today (hopefully). Things are a little ca-ray-zee around here at the moment.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Joe, can you generate an .MP4 or .MOV so those of us without DCP players can check out the Roxy trailer?
Sure but not until Mike watches it legit in his theater.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Things are a little ca-ray-zee around here at the moment.
The proper term is cray-cray.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-08-2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe...he is in Montana. They say things differently there.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-08-2015 04:48 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
I can't wait to watch it. I downloaded it and tried, but it just plays as green screen.
Ah, you must have downloaded the censored version. [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2015 11:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, now that's damn funny. I'm .... honored? [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-09-2015 12:23 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also a good sound test to make sure each of your channels are 1) present and 2) sound good since I did not change level or EQ as the voice travels.

Anyway here is the Quicktime version (H.264). It is also 5.1 channel linear PCM. Bobby if you have PS3 Media Server on your computer you should be able to stream it to your PS3 in full 5.1. It will not play directly on a PS3 because the PS3 won't know what to do with it.

http://www.joeredifer.com/crap/roxysmall.zip - 26MB

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2015 01:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So Mike, since most everyone in your town probably knows who you are, are you going to run this? If you do, you should videotape the audience reaction from the back row.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-09-2015 01:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I will have to think about that one! (Although videotaping the reaction is a fun idea)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: