Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hello Dolly in 70mm for Mother's Day at UCLA (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hello Dolly in 70mm for Mother's Day at UCLA
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-09-2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At UCLA's Billy Wilder Theater for free!

Short notice I know... Mother's Day at 11am:

Hello Dolly at the UCLA Film & Television Archive

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-11-2015 11:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that the UCLA archive must have its own print. We've tried to book it in 70 recently, but were that there was no print available from any of the usual sources we ask. Personally, I'm not really complaining - the DCP looks and sounds fantastic (it is emphatically not a 2001-type job), but a lot of our regular customers insist on 70mm for the traditional big roadshow movies, and so we try to get 'em that way if we can.

Same situation with 2001. Apparently there is a print from the rerelease (in 2001) in Canada, but nothing available to book in the US apart from the infamous shitty DCP.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-11-2015 11:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...for the record, I've yet to see a good DCP of any 70mm title...the closest I could find would be Oklahoma! Though the colors are good, the resolution is wanting and the sound isn't Todd-AO. So yeah, if that is how they are going to treat 70mm when it comes to DCPs...I'd insist on 70mm too.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2015 12:00 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Arclight Dome ran a 70mm print of 2001 just a few weeks ago, on 4/26.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, last fall just before Interstellar came out the Alamo in Austin ran a print of 2001 (dts). It was dirty, scratched and just didn't look very good at all to me, but it was 2001 and it was in 70mm. They definitely exist.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-11-2015 05:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2001 Print #20011 played in this area in February. It was in decent but not amazing shape. For some reason, it didn't come with DTS disks, but the theatre managed to get a set, which was returned with the print.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-15-2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Though the colors are good, the resolution is wanting and the sound isn't Todd-AO. So yeah, if that is how they are going to treat 70mm when it comes to DCPs...I'd insist on 70mm too.
The Hello Dolly DCP was nice. There were two versions on the drive: one with a conventional 5.1 mix, and the other with the Todd-AO five stage channels and mono surround. The overture, entr'acte and walk-out music were all there, the 2.2:1 aspect ratio was correct, and the color, contrast, mid-tones and definitions all looked very nice to me. Without doing a "flip from one to the other" test with a 70mm print running side-by-side I couldn't opine with any credibility whether one is "better" than the other: all I know is that this DCP got right all the things that the infamous 2001 DCP got wrong.

As for the 2001 print issue - weird. I'm simply going by what our programmer told me about availability. Maybe he couldn't get the print that Brad and Scott saw because it was playing one those bookings at the time (I think it was February we last played the DCP)? All I know is that we had so many customer complaints the last time we played the DCP, that in a discussion at the following staff meeting we decided not to play that title again until either they re-do the DCP and do it right, or we can get a 70mm print.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-15-2015 02:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So on the "6.0" soundtrack...how was it encoded? Where did they put LC/RC channels?

And did they finally encode the movie as a "C-220" or did they shave off resolution and cram it into an "F-220" or "S-220" container?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-15-2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From memory (don't have the screening report handy - am at home), the special venue version's channel allocations were:

1 - left
2 - right
3 - center
4 - mono surround
5 - left extra
6 - right extra
7 - unused
8 - unused

There was a label on the drive that explained it.

It was S-220. I'm guessing that C-220 would have been too much of a risk - too few venues would have had a preset set up to use the full container for 2.2:1 properly (or the expertise to set one up), and would have played it on their normal 'scope preset, and thereby massacred it.

By the same token, they had no practical choice but to offer a conventional 5.1 mix, too.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-16-2015 08:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, if what you are saying is true then...

It shows what a sham the studios give to 70mm "restorations."

The track assignment, as you list, is NOT DCI compliant (on either earlier or current documents). LC/RC were originally to be on 7/8 and have since moved to 9/10 since ADA usurped 7/8 and SMPTE has now put them there for the future but at least with SMPTE channels are assigned by name, not number. ADA should never been on a full-range channel...that is low bandwidth information (think telephone quality...it is just the spoken voice)...there should have been a separate ADA output from servers (preferably in analog too...but I digress).

They chose S-220...so that isn't really 4K is it? 3775 x 1716. We are talking 70mm and we aren't giving it the resolution of 35mm 1.85. Even 4096 x 1862 doesn't really capture 70mm but it would be our best attempt with current projection technology.

Once upon a time, if a theatre wanted to run things like 1.37...they went out and bought a lens (or lenses) and cut aperture plates and hopefully added to their masking system. With DCinema, creating a new format in a projector requires zero $$$ in equipment and just the time to zoom the lens and create a new Screen file (and possibly input or PCF file). If you are going to run that sort of product, spend the 20-minutes to create the preset/channel/macro for it.

And lets say you don't and run the movie in "Scope." What happens? It looks like it did on the 35mm Scope version with some slight cropping on the height (about 8.5%)...something that would have been protected for since most movies play in 35mm.

So stop settling for this garbage. As I said before, I completely understand why people would prefer the 70mm version to the DCP low-res copy with questionable audio (mind you, yours is the first report of a 6.0 mix being issued with a feature I've seen).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2015 11:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And lets say you don't and run the movie in "Scope." What happens? It looks like it did on the 35mm Scope version with some slight cropping on the height (about 8.5%)...something that would have been protected for since most movies play in 35mm.
I couldn't agree more.

So what will Jurassic World be? Will it be letterboxed in the flat container or pillarboxed in the scope container? There is no way they will do 2:1 in the full container.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-18-2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's points are all well taken. However, I do think there is a "real world" aspect to this: they assume implicitly that you're comparing a pristine 70mm print, on 2393 stock (now no longer made in 70mm, if at all) and step-contact printed from a lovingly restored source, and projected on equipment in perfect condition, operated and maintained by a highly skilled career projectionist, with a DCP shown in a similar situation (state of the art 4K projector, operator for whom setting up a new screen and PCF file is a trivial 10-minute job, etc.).

In that scenario, I'd prefer to see the 70mm print of Dolly, too. As we all know, the reality now is likely to be a well worn 70mm print shown in a situation with significant equipment, film handling and presentation issues, vs. a DCP shown by pressing the scope button and then play. And only a tiny number of venues are set up and ready to play the Todd-AO audio channel configuration correctly. If there are as many as 20 in the country, I'd be surprised.

My point was that in a "press scope and press play" situation, this DCP gives (in my subjective opinion) a better impression of what Todd-AO is supposed to look and sound like than any other I've seen, and that therefore I'm less annoyed at not having access to a 70mm print than I am with 2001, for which the only DCP in circulation is so unacceptably bad that even customers who know very little about technical presentation notice the digital artifacts, walk out and complain.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-18-2015 10:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...have you actually compared a DCP of a 70mm title to a 70mm title? It isn't really a close call. Pristine 70mm print or not.

What is worse is that the bar is being systematically lowered. There is NO excuse for not releasing the proper sound files..that is what VERSION files are for!!!!

As for the picture, again, why not do C-220? It is no worse than a scope print if shown in Scope and better if show full-frame.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-19-2015 02:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too many people are considering digital to be perfect without taking into account all the ways digital can be done wrong in all phases of production, post production and exhibition. They're not really objective in judging how good or bad digital really looks.

This is especially true when comparisons are made between digital and film. They'll remember all the specific hang-ups that can happen with film production and exhibition and conveniently omit all the negative compromises that are routinely being made with digital.

I have yet to be impressed with the visual quality of a d-cinema show. The main problem is soft focus. I've never seen a d-cinema show with focus dialed in as sharp as I have seen with film. Most shows have blurry looking titles and end credits. If the image is shown on a really big screen too often it seems lacking in resolution. Is the problem with the image size & resolution on the DCP? Does it have something to do with the screen (like moire issues due to the screen perforation pattern)? Or do the optics on the projector actually stink? I can't help but wonder about that. Some d-cinema projection lenses are huge. The Konica-Minolta lenses on the Christie projectors at our local Carmike theater are gigantic compared to the Schneider Super-Cinelux lensees that were on their Simplex 35 film projectors. Are those big d-cinema projector lenses just overpriced, over-sized Coke bottles?

Right now there's all this buzz about increasing contrast ratios and color depth -like the hype going on with IMAX' new laser projection system or the impending roll-out of Dolby Cinema branded theaters. Crap like HDR and claims of 1 trillion to 1 contrast ratios won't be worth diddly squat if the image can't be shown in tack-sharp focus in the first place.

These guys really need to be doing something to address basic image quality problems than making cropped HDTV-styled images more colorful.

Regarding a movie with a 2:1 aspect ratio, what the hell difference is it going to make if the movie studio encoded a 2K DCP with a 2048 X 1024 pixel image? Is that really going to hurt anything? Just about all these d-cinema projectors have zoom lenses and many of them are projecting the image at a common width screen equipped with no movable masking.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-20-2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...have you actually compared a DCP of a 70mm title to a 70mm title? It isn't really a close call. Pristine 70mm print or not.
The only title I've had the opportunity to do that with is Lawrence, and even then the two screenings were several weeks apart. But it was a 70mm print vs. a 4K DCP, projected actually in 4K, on the same screen. My impression was that the 70 was slightly crisper, but that the dirt and scratching was a noticeable distraction. With the audio, though there was really no contest - the uncompressed LPCM on the DCP revealed the higher end of the frequency range (e.g. the flute solo in the entr'acte music) in a way that made the DTS on the DCP sound muddy and undistinctive. That is no criticism of DTS/Datasat, simply a reflection of the fact that in the early 1990s, when the system was invented, that amount of compression was necessary, but not now.

If I'd been comparing the DCP to a pristine mag print it might be a different story, but taking everything into account, then personally and subjectively I preferred the DCP.

What is worse is that the bar is being systematically lowered. There is NO excuse for not releasing the proper sound files..that is what VERSION files are for!!!!
There I agree with you - almost all the DCPs I encounter with multiple audio versions on them duplicate the entire DCP on the hard drive, rather than have the same video with multiple audio, configured by package. I once had a 2TB CRU drive show up with something like 7 or 8 foreign language dubs of the same 200GB movie, with all the image data duplicated. About the only version-differentiated DCPs I've had have come from smaller, indie-type post houses (actually, Indie DCP seems to do this) - Technicolor and Deluxe don't seem to do them. Presumably there have been problems in the past with projectionists ingesting the wrong audio, and the decision was made to go down the idiotproofing route.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: