Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » JAWS 4Oth Anniversary !

Author Topic: JAWS 4Oth Anniversary !
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
June 20th will mark the 40th Anniversary of Steven Spielberg's 1975 Blockbuster "JAWS" WOW! Does time fly I can't believe it's been that many years ago when I got the Crap scared out of me along with the other theater Audience from the 2 scenes pictured below...

I'm really disappointed that Universal didn't re-release this in 3D and the latest Sound Tech. This is the Jaws that should have been done in 3D to begin with; not that piece of Crap 3rd Version that never even related to the First 2 Films. If theater audiences got frightened back then from a 2D Film, then a 3D version would really get them jumping from their seats. The Roy Scheider Chumming scene would have been great in 3D back then ...

I think Universal dropped the Ball on this one. I've talked to a number of people that saw it 40yrs ago and said they would pay to see it again just to see if they would be scared again if shown in 3D.....Well, Maybe the 50TH Anniversary will have whatever The Technology in 10yrs will be... [puke]

-
First scene that made Audiences Jump in their Seats [Eek!]

-
Ben Gardner's severed head coming out of his boat scaring the
hell out of Dreyfuss and the Movie Audience [Eek!]

-
Second scene that made the audience Jump. This would have been
an ideal 3D Scene [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 10:33 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being wary of poor quality Fathom Events, is Jaws going to be a 2K (or more) DCP, or just a 1080p consumer quality presentation?

Sean Goodrich
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Sean Goodrich   Email Sean Goodrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Universal DCP has a 7.1 soundtrack. It's 2K.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-19-2015 03:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first thought, 3-D for Jaws seems like a great idea but then looking at those pictures (especially the bottom one) I don't think 3-D would have made much difference. I guess a movie needs to be made with 3-D in mind.

Hard to say though -- the underwater scenes would have been pretty cool, I guess.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 04:11 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's great that they are bringing some of these classics (Jaws, Psycho, Dracula, etc.) back to the big screens. Hopefully, they are doing a good job of the presentations...

Regarding 3D and updated sound, by which you probably mean Atmos:

I'm not interested in any kind of after-the-fact conversion of picture or sound.

I can't imagine how 3D would make Jaws better, and I can think of many ways attempting a conversion would make it cringe-worthy.

According to the IMDb, the movie was produced in mono sound. In 2012, Universal released a remastered Blu-ray for the 100th Anniversary series. The press release for the Blu-ray says:

quote:
Universal Studios Sound team up-mixed the iconic JAWS soundtrack to DTS-HD Master 7.1, optimizing the sound on the Blu-rayTM for the latest home theater technology. The entire restoration process was conducted in conjunction with Steven Spielberg and Amblin Entertainment’s post-production team to ensure the integrity of Spielberg’s original vision remained intact.
This is the only scenario in which sound should be re-created for a movie. The original filmmakers should be involved and/or sign off on the work, or the sound should be left alone.

I wonder what format the TCM Presents Jaws 40th Anniversary showings are in? Does anyone know? There's no mention in the press releases about the shows.

The same goes for the thought of taking a movie and re-creating the sound for Atmos (I don't know if this is where you were going with that or not). It's one thing for me to engage the "70mm Spectacle" DSP mode on my receiver if I wish to tinker with such things (I don't), but it's another for a studio, distributor, or theater to say "let's remix this movie for Atmos" by sending sounds into speakers that never existed when the movie was made, without the attention and approval of the original filmmakers, and then sell tickets to it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-19-2015 05:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Jaws goes, even factoring in the occasion of the 40th anniversary this weekend, I am completely not interested in any 3D conversion. The audio elements are not up to snuff for Atmos treatment either.

I might consider giving the Blu-ray a spin this weekend. I would not bother paying to see any current DCP version of it. There isn't enough of a quality difference between the DCP and Blu-ray to make the theatrical charge worth it. Letterboxed TV style 2K DCP is not 'scope done right.

I'd pay to see a proper 35mm presentation of Jaws, either in a good indoor theater or at a good drive-in. I saw Jaws for the first time at a drive-in theater. A 70mm blow-up print would be worthy of a first run ticket purchase. BTW, the film prints would have to be sourced from original film elements.

If the film prints are merely laser recorded from some stupid 2K source the prints are useless as a presentation medium. They're being duped from a lesser quality, limited resolution source and then going through additional quality reductions in generation loss every stage the film image is duped. Might as well watch the DCP if that's the case or watch it at home on Blu-ray.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 06:45 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
There isn't enough of a quality difference between the DCP and Blu-ray to make the theatrical charge worth it.
I'm sympathetic to this statement and would love to watch a 70MM blow up of JAWS on a 70' screen...

But seeing JAWS in the theater with a crowd is a rare treat, and well worth it. I'll be there Sunday at 2. Just about the only thing that would keep me from going is if it was in 3D.

I saw The Terminator last Sunday at a Century Theater in Lakewood, CO and it was one of the best times I've had at the movies in months. Of course, that one isn't scope, but I assume it was 2K. There was a bit of that digital shimmer, but all in all it was great.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-19-2015 10:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the positive aspects of seeing a movie in a theater with an audience of a bunch of other people. There are downsides to that too. But anyway it is a different experience from seeing it at home.

However that does not excuse movie productions, distribution studios and movie theaters from making compromises to d-cinema standards just to save a buck. They knew more than a decade ago how to do 'scope right in d-cinema and they chose not to do so. They chose to do things good enough.

A lot of restaurants and other service oriented businesses get stung by good enough standards of practice. Pink slime. Microwave ovens used to "cook" your steak. When the public finds out what's really going on in the kitchen or elsewhere out of view they get pretty pissed about it. Then suddenly a service oriented business that seemed to have a strong brand name finds itself in trouble very quickly. The public is surprisingly very fickle and can put major paradigm shifts in business into play pretty fast.

Movie companies, theaters, etc. and their use of !!!DIGITAL!!! technology have been getting a pass on the part of the public for the past 15 years because the average person can't get far enough past the !!!DIGITAL!!! buzzword and the confusion it causes as a result of all the sound and fury signifying nothing. The public can't dig into the details to see just how much better film was in certain respects. The beloved 'scope format that is still so popular in movie productions was a LOT better on 35mm than it is in DCP.

Still. The novelty of that DIGITAL buzzword will start wearing off. And it can totally backfire on the movie studios and movie theaters. If the word DIGITAL is all that counts eventually enough of the public will realize that Blu-ray, Netflix and a tiny ass image of the movie on an iPhone™ is all DIGITAL too.

Ultimately the good enough standards of practice thing that has been going on in d-cinema is an invitation to race to the bottom economics.

If a movie production is going to say it's good enough to produce a movie in fake 'scope versus real 'scope and if movie theaters go along with the fake 'scope thing then it's very easy for someone to say the Blu-ray version is good enough or the 720p streaming version on iTunes is good enough.

The audience adds one ingredient to a proper movie-going experience. But other key things are picture quality and sound quality that cannot be duplicated in the home.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 11:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the only time Fathom has impressed me have been the Sony 4K DCP's of 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'Taxi Driver'. Cinemark's 4K presentation of 'Ghostbusters' last year was a blast - it both looked and sounded great!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: