Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Lie-Max" coming to Montana (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Lie-Max" coming to Montana
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2015 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Carmike is bringing "the Imax experience" to Montana by not enlarging two of their theaters.

Get ready to see holiday blockbusters in Imax at Shiloh 14 in Billings

By Jaci Webb

If plans go as scheduled, Billings movie fans will get to see holiday blockbusters in the “Star Wars” and “James Bond” franchises in Imax this fall at Shiloh 14.

The final installment of the “Hunger Games,” “Mockingjay Part 2” could be the first Imax film shown at Shiloh 14 when the film is released Nov. 2. It will be quickly followed by “Spectre,” featuring Daniel Craig as James Bond on Nov. 6, and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” on Dec. 18.

Directors like JJ Abrams, who is directing the “Star Wars” film, work with Imax cameras to expand the video and sound to fill the screen and create a more immersive format for moviegoers. Imax theaters are specially shaped, and seats are set around a wall-to-wall curved screen.

An announcement was made Tuesday about the first commercial Imax theaters coming to Montana this fall. The partnership of Carmike Cinemas Inc., which is based in Columbus, Ga., and Imax Corp. of New York, announced plans to open the Imax theaters in Missoula’s Carmike 12 and in Billings.

A spokesman for Imax said Wednesday that the Billings project to create an Imax theater at Shiloh 14 will begin in September. It should be completed in November.

“In addition to providing cutting-edge projection and sound and a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling Imax screen, Imax works with each filmmaker to remaster the film specifically for the Imax format — enhancing both the image and sound for playback in Imax theaters,” the spokesman said.

Shiloh 14 will not be expanded, but an existing theater will be remodeled to accommodate Imax.

Carmike expects the Imax format to increase attendance, which could in turn lead to additional staff members.

Carmike Cinemas will have 24 Imax theaters when the new theater systems are complete.

Billings Gazette article

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2015 01:49 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, they can post nothing about the upcharge and gouge Steve for non-hit movies on the IMAX screen.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2015 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what Carmike is thinking. The Wynnsong 10 theater has their old multiplex building that has been vacant now for a number of years and is only about 50 yards from the main theater. It would be a perfect complex for IMAX.Because the Shiloh 14 is newer and part of a Mini mall is probably why they
decided to go with that multiplex. Now you'll pay 15 dollars to
sit in the same size theater that had the old miniature screen [thumbsdown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-09-2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Billings Gazette article and I posted my usual Liemax warning with a clear explanation of how inferior it is to film IMax and it got quite a few "likes".

Mark

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sure the seats will be set "around" the screen. LOl, I think they got "around" confused with "in front of".

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2015 11:44 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot handle the mouth diarrhea these clowns spew.

quote:
“In addition to providing cutting-edge projection and sound and a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling Imax screen, Imax works with each filmmaker to remaster the film specifically for the Imax format — enhancing both the image and sound for playback in Imax theaters,” the spokesman said."
Mark you ought to link that... I tried to find it and only found two articles... one with no comments and one with some dumb bitch that said "About time [Smile] "

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-10-2015 10:40 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting more and more suspicious about this apparent binge Carmike now has with IMAX. This would mean they have at least 4 or 5 IMAX-branded theaters in some process of planning or construction. Carmike is building a new multiplex in Albuquerque that will feature an IMAX-branded screen. Another such complex is getting built in Manhattan, KS. They're building a new 14-plex here in Lawton that will have an IMAX-branded screen. And now they're announcing two conversions to IMAX-branding in Montana.

The thing drawing my suspicion is IMAX' own plans of rolling out new laser-based digital projectors. I think chances are slim to none that IMAX will install any of those new (and extremely expensive) laser-based 4K projectors in any of these new Carmike theaters.

What I suspect is going to happen: these Carmike locations are going to get old, used 2K Xenon projectors taken out of other theaters for conversion to "IMAX with Laser".

I'd like to be proven wrong on this, mainly because the really high ticket prices for any IMAX theater demands a hell of a lot more than a HDTV resolution image blown up to blurry proportions and plain 5.0 audio.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 02:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
The Wynnsong 10 theater has their old multiplex building that has been vacant now for a number of years and is only about 50 yards from the main theater. It would be a perfect complex for IMAX.Because the Shiloh 14 is newer and part of a Mini mall is probably why they decided to go with that multiplex.
The old building (the World West) might have a big enough "footprint" for an Imax but since it's two auditoriums side by side, it would need extensive remodeling and it's not tall enough, plus it doesn't have stadium seating either.

The way they're doing it, they can just put a new (or used) projector and sound into their existing Big D auditorium, raise the prices and presto, it's an Imax!

Mark G - I can't find where you commented either, post a link please!

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2015 05:03 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what it will end up Looking like [Confused] And only 15 Dollars for this Spectacular Expierence [Roll Eyes]

-
I'm believing alright; That I just got Ripped Off [puke]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-2015 05:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I just love the little "tv branding" logo at the bottom of the screen. It helps me to feel like I'm at home watching tv.

The design of the room is also quite amazing. After all if anyone has Kramer hair, it will get into the image.

And nothing beats having can lights on in front of the screen to help wash out the image.

Just a spectacular design all through. [Roll Eyes] At least they finally opened both eyes and found the "scope" ratio.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-12-2015 06:19 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how many different "Big Screen" formats does Carmike support?
They built their Chantilly 13 last year here with their Big-D theatre, supposedly 80ft wide. Do they only use Big-D where someone else (in our case AMC remodeling a theatre in the old RAVE) has the rights to IMAX?
Shows lots of confidence in their own brand, doesn't it?

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2015 06:58 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's image needs to have a letterboxed picture, without masking, and have an exit door, with an intrusive sign, in the far wall.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-12-2015 08:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

While I have plenty of criticism for IMAX and the negative things the company has done to the movie-going experience in recent years, the image Steve posted is pretty misleading. That's not for commercial cinemas. That is an image promoting IMAX' very expensive system for home theaters. It's something for the ultimate douchebag to add to his McMansion.

quote: Martin McCaffery
So how many different "Big Screen" formats does Carmike support? They built their Chantilly 13 last year here with their Big-D theatre, supposedly 80ft wide. Do they only use Big-D where someone else (in our case AMC remodeling a theatre in the old RAVE) has the rights to IMAX?
As of one of their most recent press releases Carmike has 29 Big-D screens, 16 IMAX-branded screens and two MuviXL screens from their takeover of the Muvico chain.

I have a little trouble making sense out of how Carmike is pursuing the premium big screen theater market.

Some of the IMAX-branded screens Carmike has are from theater acquisitions, such as RAVE locations. They had been pretty tepid on building new IMAX-branded auditoriums, opting to build Big-D houses instead. Carmike even shut down an IMAX house in Myrtle Beach, SC and converted that into a Big-D.

Carmike's press releases for Big-D talk about 4-way speaker systems from QSC and the sound systems being 7.1 but upgradeable to 11.1. Why even mention the 11.1 at all? One of their Big-D houses in Georgia is equipped with Auro 11.1 and one of their Big-D houses in Illinois is equipped with Dolby Atmos. The rest are all regular 7.1.

IMAX must have made Carmike some kind of really good offer because now Carmike has at least 5 new IMAX-branded screens in the works. Going by the math from the press release about the Montana locations that number of new screens should be 8. They say by the time the Montana IMAX-branded screen come on line Carmike will have 24 such theater screens.

To me, if the don't have 4K laser-based projection systems the whole affair will be much ado about nothing.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2015 10:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The location they are converting has one "Big D" screen that is supposedly wall-to-wall/floor-to-ceiling. I'm sure they are just doing whatever tweaks they have to to the sound, and will just change the signs to say "Imax."

What's funny about the picture Steve posted is, even if it IS for a TV set-up, it makes it seem like the screen is tiny! Compared to what, four rows of seats? That screen looks smaller than the one in my own, decidedly non-Imax theater.

What ever happened to Imax touting the fact that they were BIGGER? Guess they are de-emphasizing that, since it's not really true much anymore.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-12-2015 10:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The location they are converting has one "Big D" screen that is supposedly wall-to-wall/floor-to-ceiling. I'm sure they are just doing whatever tweaks they have to to the sound, and will just change the signs to say "Imax."
Maybe so. It might be the least expensive thing from a cost standpoint and therefore the most likely outcome.

Carmike does have at least one theater in their chain, a multiplex in Tyler, TX, that has both a Big-D screen and IMAX-branded screen. So there may be an outside chance this theater in Montana could end up with the same kind of setup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: