Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » light switch orientation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: light switch orientation
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-28-2015 06:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a dumb question, but I have never seen a good explanation of it.

In the US, light switches are normally installed like this

-

such that the "up" position of the switch turns the light on. In the picture above, both switches are in the "on" position.

In the UK and possibly elsewhere, switches are normally installed so that the "down" position turns the light on:

-

In the picture above, the switch is also in the "on" position.

Why is this? It doesn't matter so much that "up" or "down" should indicate "on" or "off," but why are there differing standards for this?

Are there any electricians here who can explain this? And is "up"="on" a code issue in the US, or is it just common practice? Most (non-3-way) US switches have "OFF" and "ON" printed above and below the lever, respectively, so these labels would be upside-down if the switch were installed the other way, so maybe that explains the US orientation. None of this is really a big deal for light switches, but I could imagine that a switch in a non-standard orientation could be dangerous if it controlled a power tool or some other motorized device.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 09:17 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another way of looking at it is that they are "stuck out" at the top in both the US and UK for on?

Though having said that, I do have to say that when I go to the US that they feel to me that they are upside down compared to ours!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-28-2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, isn't there an association with something being "up" meaning on? Is your server UP?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-28-2015 09:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to burst you bubble Steve (interesting that 3/4 of the posters on this subject, thus far, are named Steve too)...

In the US, "Decora" switches, a rocker switch, pressing in on the top is "on." So the bottom stuck out would be on.

With conventional round-hole toggle switches, the slot goes on the bottom. If you get a plate for that switch that has the labels on/off...it will presume the slot is on the bottom for it to read properly. On will be up.

It wouldn't surprise me if the rational for the difference in the light switch is along the lines of why the UK drives on the wrong side of the road too.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 10:21 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that the US practice of up for on and down for off came from safety with big industrial switches. Supposedly, if you leaned against the switch and accidentally switched it, you'd accidentally turn something off instead of on. I guess to pull those up takes force and intent where if it is up and you take a rest against the wall you could push it down. Who knows if true but there is some logic there.

Of course with a 3-way (or greater) circuit, there is no standard on (or off) position.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever provides a reasonable answer to this should also tackle this one.  -

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the ground pin up, if a plug is loosened there is a possibility of the ground pin disconnecting first, thereby leaving the load ungrounded, if only momentarily, until the other pins disconnect.

With the ground pin down, if a plug is loosened, the ground pin will be the last to disconnect, a safe practice.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-28-2015 12:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
It wouldn't surprise me if the rational for the difference in the light switch is along the lines of why the UK drives on the wrong side of the road too.
The latter was an Empire/Commonwealth thing, which is why India and Australia also drive on the left (steering wheel on the right side of the car). I believe that Canada once did, but switched, to make cross-border traffic easier. AFAIK, the only major country that drives on the left but never had any significant political or economic ties to the UK is Japan.

The light switch thing confused me for months after emigrating from the UK to the US; driving much less so, because you're doing it along with everyone else and so driving on the right just comes naturally. But if you're operating a toggle switch in a room on your own, there isn't any "peer pressure" to help you do it right!

I can't for the life me remember what other European countries do for light switches. When I was UK-based I visited France, The Netherlands, Germany and Denmark several times, but simply don't remember anything about their light switches. I'm guessing that they're the same as Britain's (up = off / down = on), because if they were the opposite, I think that would have stuck in my mind.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 12:55 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about 3-way switched circuits? If the switches are all installed to expose "on" in the up position, then one of those switches will have to be installed upside down.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 01:08 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They all should have a " top " indication on one side showing the direction it should be installed in.

In a three-way switch situation, one side is always going to be " wrong side on ".

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up = On. How many of you guys pulled dimmer handles down to raise the lights? Zero I suppose.

There really isn't any specific code relating to outlet orientation.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-28-2015 02:06 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, we have the same issue in airline flying. If you fly Boeing big iron, you are used to "up = on", If you fly McDonnell Douglas big iron, you are used to "down = on". Don't remember how Lockheed, Convair, Fairchild/Fokker, Martin, or any of the Canadians, Brits, EU, Brazilians, Russians, Kiwi/Oz, and Asians configured theirs... [Smile]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, does this UP/DOWN issue extend to electronic equipment with toggle switches?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 03:44 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Weigel
How about 3-way switched circuits? If the switches are all installed to expose "on" in the up position, then one of those switches will have to be installed upside down.
With a 3 way (or more) circuit "on" and "off" positions don't exist for any switch. A change in position of any switch will change the state of the circuit.

The upside down outlet I will never understand.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-28-2015 03:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turn the lights UP, turn the lights DOWN.

If you think of it this way than up/down becomes intuitive. I don't know if this is the reasoning, but it seems logical to me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: