Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, CA taking title suggestions for their 10th Horrorthon

Author Topic: Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, CA taking title suggestions for their 10th Horrorthon
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-08-2015 08:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This came across my Facebook feed from the American Cinematheque's Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, CA today:

quote:

It's time to play "Suggest the Aero Theatre Horrorthon"! The 10th annual Horrorthon will take place on Saturday October 24th. You may have to to dig deep for your suggestions this year as we have screened 56 titles over the past decade and will not repeat. Hit us with your classic titles as well as the gems which are never screened in LA! Films we have already shown include:
  • Alice Sweet Alice (Aka Communion)
  • Amityville II: The Possession
  • Basket Case
  • Bloody Birthday
  • Burial Ground
  • Candyman
  • Castle Of Blood (La Danza Macabra)
  • Cemetery Man (Aka Dellamorte Dellamore)
  • Christine
  • Creepshow
  • Day Of The Dead
  • Dead Alive (Aka Braindead)
  • Deathdream
  • Demons (Demoni)
  • Don't Look In The Basement (Aka The Forgotten)
  • Freaks
  • Fright Night
  • From Beyond
  • Gargoyles
  • Hell High
  • Hellraiser
  • House By The Cemetery
  • Just Before Dawn
  • Kingdom Of The Spiders
  • Last House On The Left
  • Let’s Scare Jessica To Death
  • Maniac
  • Motel Hell
  • The Night of a Thousand Cats
  • Night Of The Creeps
  • Night Of The Living Dead
  • Pet Sematary
  • Phantasm
  • Pumpkinhead
  • Re-Animator
  • Return Of The Living Dead
  • "Society,"
  • Terror
  • The Beyond
  • The Brood
  • The Car
  • The Children
  • The Deadly Spawn
  • The Devil’s Rain
  • The Fly
  • The Gates Of Hell (Aka City Of The Living Dead)
  • The Living Dead Of Manchester Morgue (Aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
  • The Manitou
  • The People Under The Stairs
  • The Pit
  • The Sentinel
  • "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part Two"
  • The Thing
  • Tourist Trap
  • Videodrome
  • Zombie Holocaust

|  IP: Logged

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2015 09:04 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if they would show one of Wes Craven's horror movies (specially New Nightmare) in honor of him.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2015 09:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Curse of the Queerwolf

Bonus points if they can run it in it's original true film format...Super 8mm.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-08-2015 10:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can only do 35 and 70 (pair of Norelco Mk. Is), plus digi (NEC 3240S with Dolby 3-D) at the Aero. A 75-foot throw to a screen that is only around 15 feet across in 1.33/7 makes any sort of small gauge there very difficult to look even remotely reasonable. The Egyptian actually has a longer throw (92ft), but an image that is more like 25ft across in 1.33 enables 16mm on our FP38-ES to look very respectable, especially if the print is a nice one. The fact that it uses 35mm lenses (and therefore the 16mm frame goes through the center part of the lens and magnifies with next to no distortion) helps, as well.

Even with one of those heavy duty Fumeo S8 projectors with a xenon bulb, I don't think it would be possible to show S8 at the Aero with even a remotely viable light level.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2015 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gotta get creative Leo. I've put a 2k lamp behind a Beaulieu with a Schneider f1.0 lens and gotten amazing images out of Super 8. Sure it took a number of modifications to the projector, dual heat filters and one heck of a lot of force air, but it worked. The Super 8 image area isn't that much less than 16mm. The real problem is most Super 8mm projectors are made out of plastic.

Not that Curse of the Queerwolf has anything other than horrible photography, it's the awesomeness of being able to say you ran it. Phil Hill would've been proud. [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2015 11:04 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
...with a Schneider f1.0 lens...
I guess an aperture that tiny, even in a lens designed for small gauge, would give you a chance of of an evenly crisp image with the typical size and throw of a typical modern 35mm house. If memory serves me correctly, the lens we use for 16mm on the FP38-ES at the Egyptian is f1.2. That has a 6K lamp with water cooling, and although the film feels a little warm as it comes out onto the take-up reel, it's no more so than on any other 16mm machine I've used.

At the Aero the 35/70 film projectors use 4K bulbs, and the digi projector 3K for 2-D and we put in a 7K bulb for 3-D shows. So our hypothetical Super 8 projector would need at least 3K at a guess. Seeing if it would be possible to achieve that without melting the film would be an interesting science experiment for someone to try, I guess!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2015 11:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds as if you could do 16mm at the Aero with a 2kw xenon and (if I did the math correctly) almost exactly a 2" lens (well, 47mm-ish).

Is the issue more with the size of the picture than the projection system?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-09-2015 12:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, my suggestion is COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE and THE RETURN OF COUNT YORGA. Both films are very creepy

-Claude

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2015 04:41 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to show some Christopher Lee. "The Horror of Dracula" for sure.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2015 08:07 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
House Of Wax in duel 35mm film 3-D in Warner Phonic Sound!!!!!

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2015 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Dr. Phibes movies.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-10-2015 02:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the xenon Elmo super 8mm projectors
and still have the remains of a Marc300 Fumeo super8
they actually put out a lot of light

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-10-2015 07:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's the list for the Aero's 2015 Horrorthon: [Smile]
  • HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH
  • DEATH SPA
  • ANGUISH
  • SPOOKIES
  • DEAD AND BURIED
  • PIECES
  • THE NEST

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2015 08:03 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have suggested Rubber, arguably the best movie ever made about a killer tire.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-12-2015 10:52 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Is the issue more with the size of the picture than the projection system?
Long before my time there was an Eiki pedestal 16mm machine at the Aero. However, it was a claw-in-the-gate pulldown design, and after a couple of incidents in which it caused perf damage to some shrunken prints, the decision was made to withdraw it from use. Shortly afterwards, the porthole it was using was occupied by the digital projector. The Aero's booth only has three projection/viewing port pairs, and realistically we're not going to be able to reinstate any sort of small gauge capability there without serious construction work on the upper floor.

I have never attempted to project Super 8 on a full-sized theater screen (except using an MWA Flashscan telecine hooked up to a video projector, at a Home Movie Day event many years ago), but for 16, having now been spoiled by having the opportunity to use an FP38-ES, I'd be reluctant to settle for anything less.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: