Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » projector info

Author Topic: projector info
David Guest
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2015 02:12 PM      Profile for David Guest   Email David Guest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can anyone help me please I have been offered today over the phone 3 elf projectors these all have a 100 watt amplifiers as told by the seller I don't know this model, I thought the biggest amp was 25 watt like the ones I have .I asked him for pics but he has no computer can any one help me with a picture or direct me to a link so I can see what they are like thanks for all your help

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-02-2015 12:27 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elf was the brand name with which Eiki sold 16mm classroom portables in the UK from around the late 1960s to the mid 1980s.

If memory serves me correctly, the integrated amps were 25w, too. I wouldn't have thought this was a major issue: the impedance was so low that you wouldn't need much more to power a single speaker in a typical home, classroom or church hall either.

IMHO, the Eiki/Elf RT and NT 16mm machines were the nicest that sold on any significant scale in Britain in the final phase of the 16mm (as a mainstream format) era. For collectors and hobbyists now they are also a good choice, because the life-limited spares (principally belts and bulbs) are still readily available. The optics of the stock 50mm lens were also Japanese engineering at its best. As for the amps, the chances are somewhere between high and 100% that you'll need to replace the capacitors on any used machine you buy now, but the same would go for any other of a similar vintage.

I left Britain in 2013, but up until then I did a bit of refurbishing of classroom Elfs for experimental filmmakers and those sort of folks. At that time, around 50 pounds for a carcass to be culled for spares, up to 300 for a scrupulously maintained example in as new condition was the going rate. Avoid the autothreaders (unnecessary mechanical components to go wrong and damage prints), and especially avoid the slot loaders if poss.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-02-2015 10:13 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there such a thing as a manual-thread classroom-size Eiki? Aside from the larger xenon machines, the models commonly seen in the US are either slot-load or auto-load.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-02-2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RT-1/2/3 and ST-1/2/3 were available in totally manual thread versions - the autothreading components simply weren't installed on the chassis. There weren't that many of them sold and it's pretty rare to see one on Ebay. The absence of those components makes it a lot easier to keep the film path clean. The spring on the film guide/lever below the gate can get worn and/or gummed up with grease (as shipped from the factory, these Eikis had molybendum grease in the bearings and camtank, which tends to leak and end up where it isn't wanted) and cause it to fail to retract totally, thus abrading the film.

Most schoolteachers will not have wanted (or probably even been able) to thread manually, and so these versions weren't made in large numbers. But for a film collector or very small screening room, if you do, I'd say pounce on it. Even though it's a claw-in-the-gate pulldown, they're pretty gentle to film and very easy to maintain. Not having the autothread components in the film path means less to go wrong and potentially damage your prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: