Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A Whine About Shipping Costs

Author Topic: A Whine About Shipping Costs
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-14-2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else have something like this happen?
I ordered a new door gasket for my fridge.
They sent it in a box that 65x23x2
I go to put it in and discover it is the wrong size.
I call and get an RMA and they order me a correct size.
The RMA rules are I have to return the item in the original container.
Since it is an odd size the cost of returning it via UPS or FEDEx is more than the cost of the gasket.
I call and ask and they say, yes, you have to use the original container. They suggest USPS. I also cancel the replacement gasket.
USPS is about 4 times the cost of the gasket.
Shipping to me was $8.99 FedEx ground. Return is close to $50.
Looks like I will have to eat the cost of the wrong sized gasket (their mistake, not mine).
Anyone dealt with this before? Anyone have a workaround?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-14-2015 04:04 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Chop up the original container down to a reasonable size. Wad up the gasket and put it in the container with the chopped up pieces of said original container. Liberally apply tape. Return. They didn't say it had to be in original condition. [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-14-2015 09:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they only charged you $8.95 for shipping it out, I would call them and ask them to send you a returning label for $8.95. They may not be able to do it though -- their deal with UPS or Fed Ex may only apply to their bulky containers of outgoing shipments, but it might be worth a shot.

Most large companies (like Amazon) will send you a return "RS" label that will automatically deduct the shipping from your credit.

Either way I would work my way up the managerial ladder, since it was THEIR mistake. I'd bet the final resolution will be, they'll credit you for the wrong part and tell you to junk it.

Just as an aside, I ran the package measurements through our UPS account and it came up with a shipping cost of $23.61 from here to Chicago (which I picked as a random location since I don't know where your box is going). So the post office is a SERIOUS ripoff in this case.

If you do decide to ship it back, avoid places like grocery stores that ship via UPS for the public unless you know they don't jack up the rates. Some will charge double the UPS published rates. If you ship it at "The UPS Store" you'll get cheaper rates, although it still might be more than what I quoted above since we have a regular daily pickup account at our store.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2015 07:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute...how was it their mistake? Did you order a specific part and they sent you the wrong part? If so, that is all on them. You aren't any more liable for paying for their mistake than if they randomly sent you something...just because...and then wanted you to pay for it.

Now if you ordered part xyz and they ship you part xyz but you find you needed pdq...well, then that is on you.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2015 07:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said. But if it was their fault (part shipped not the same as part ordered), you could always do a credit card chargeback or a stop payment order on the check. If they want the incorrect part back, they can send you a prepaid shipping label. Otherwise, wait six months and toss it.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-15-2015 08:44 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered the part their website determined after plugging in the information on their part calculator. It was about a half an inch too long. When I called about it they said that part had been discontinued and it should never have been on their web page, much less sent to me. And that there is a different part now. So, I'm calling it their fault
The extra pisser about all of this is I don't need a new gasket. Two repairmen who looked at my fridge for other problems (Bosch fridges suck, apparently) failed to diagnose the reason for all of the humidity in my fridge. One said it was normal, the other said it was a bad gasket. Turns out the door was not properly adjusted. Figured that out on my own (and adjusted it) after ordering the gasket.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: