Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Japan mourns the loss of legendary illustrator Noriyoshi Ohrai

Author Topic: Japan mourns the loss of legendary illustrator Noriyoshi Ohrai
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-28-2015 10:30 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link has reproductions of some of his signature movie posters:

quote:

Japan mourns the loss of legendary illustrator Noriyoshi Ohrai

28 October 2015

By Oona McGee

It has been announced that Noriyoshi Ohrai—the Japanese illustrator best known for producing remarkable poster art for Metal Gear Solid as well as for films including the Godzilla series and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back—passed away from pneumonia yesterday morning at the age of 79.

With a career spanning over half a century and an impressive portfolio of artworks for novels, games and well-known international movie releases, fans around the world are mourning the loss of a great talent and taking a look back at his extraordinary body of work.

Ohrai’s passing has prompted many in Japan and around the world to post touching tributes on social media, including the below comment from celebrated video game designer Hideo Kojima. In the tweet, Kojima says that he grew up enjoying Ohrai’s art on book covers and at the cinema, and one of his childhood dreams was to ask Ohrai to illustrate for him if his games ever became famous. That childhood dream was realised with Metal Gear Solid and ANUBIS: Zone of the Enders.

A look back at the illustrator’s illustrious career reveals the breadth of his work and his exceptional ability to capture the mood, action and romance of some of the world’s most cinematic masterpieces.

Ohrai was the king of Godzilla movie posters, designing for eight titles, including Godzilla vs King Ghidorah in 1991.

Ohrai’s star rose even further when George Lucas saw his art for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope in a science fiction magazine, which led to him being asked to design the poster for the next movie, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-28-2015 09:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing some of those Star Wars 2 posters around the Iwakuni, Japan area back when my dad was stationed there. We rotated back state-side just before the sequel was released.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: