Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Great Projector Bargain on Ebay ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Great Projector Bargain on Ebay ?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2015 09:40 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised this isn't flying out the Door. Some of these people that sell items on Ebay, aren't playing with a full deck [Roll Eyes]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-16MM-Sound-PROJECTOR-65-25-Antique-/271773460061?hash=item3f46f5e65d:m:mnyi5AuCwz_xEou9SXKNzEQ

|  IP: Logged

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that flies out the door then I'm listing mine for sale

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 04:24 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this one comes pre-fritzed by plugging a 110V projector into 240V mains. Impressive.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 08:35 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one just like this an 1952 (the year) model still runs (noisy) but works, I converted from photo electric cell to solar cell, still have tubes... the 16mm film my dad had is long gone, $11K...what a bargain !!!

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 09:59 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the Ebay post I had originally intended to post before I came across the 11 grand jewel. This is almost as bad as that one.This has been on Ebay at least 18 months that I'm aware of and probably longer. You would think these guys would get the message but I guess there hoping for that non-informed Sucker to come along...

I have collected Vintage 16mm projectors since the early 70's. I have 5 of what he is showing. A Bell&Howell model 185 which appeared in 1949. They were an excellent projector and carried a lifetime warranty. Probably the last model before B&H started deducting parts and the nice appearing crushed velvet type interior. Anyway I have one that is as close to new condition as you'll ever find; probably had less than 20 minutes total running time and I believe I got it for $75.00 years back. I have bought projectors on Ebay where I ended up paying more for the Shipping than the projectors. As far as the rare 1930's Cartoons....Old Vintage CASTLE FILMS which I also have a Ton of... [Roll Eyes]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-vintage-cartoons-original-16mm-with-projector-and-speaker-/321192862332?hash=item4ac896227c:g:fLEAAOxytQxSGRMk

-
If you give me 6 Grand for one of my 185's I'll even throw in a dozen or so Vintage Castle Films [Confused]

Rex Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2015 12:29 AM      Profile for Rex Oliver   Email Rex Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I should dust off my B&H 185 that I originally bought for $25-came with an 8' screen,too-wonder if mine would be worth 6 grand???Sorry-no cartoons but I have an old first aid film,unknown films I bought from a swap shop.The beast has been thru a few moves-but still works!

Jacob Delaney
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2015 03:05 PM      Profile for Jacob Delaney   Email Jacob Delaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've attached to electricity and it torn on but immediately shuts down.
We noticed that electricity is 110V, and 220V by mistake we've put together for.
I guess I need to replace FUSE.

I wonder if it even has a fuse. lol

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2015 09:36 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is another listing of the same type Projector that the Guy is asking 11 grand....Even this price($225) is too much for it's condition. They aren't a rare projector and they shouldn't be selling for more than $50.00 in that condition. Depending on location; Like I said before, your more than likely going to be paying more for shipping than the unit. Those old vintage projectors, which actually had more metal than plastic are quite heavy ... [Wink]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Victor-Model-65-25-16mm-Film-Projector-/201361571683

Check out this pair of SIMPLEX Portables. not sure how rare these were. Price seems pretty high ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Working-Vintage-1940s-Simplex-35mm-Projectors/252037116641?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33862%26meid%3D63c66b123ae54f84b8285720447e48cd%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1 %26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D201361571683

Jacob Delaney
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Jacob Delaney   Email Jacob Delaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Simplex portables show up on Ebay for around $100-2000.

How about newer projectors like this one?
It's beat up and been sitting outside waiting to be rained on and rusted until they give up and throw it out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRONG-35mm-Projection-System-HIGHLIGHT-II-Simplex-Projector-HIGHLIGHT-IIA-/321894826775?hash=item4af26d4317:g:qtUAAOSwYHxWIHnH

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2015 04:08 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really a shame to see what's happening to previous 35MM Projectors/Equipment. I know one case in our City; the owner after installing all new Barco Equipment in the only outdoor double Screen Drive-in in Montana proceeded to haul all the Previous Equipment(Century H projectors,Strong Lamphouses,related Sound Equipment, etc. to our local landfill;simply because he didn't have any other place to store the equipment. This seems to be the case not only in projection equipment but almost anything. If there is no more storage area than things that you couldn't imagine be thrown away are ending up in the Dump / Landfills! Pretty Sad [Frown]

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the sentiment but am guilty of it as well. I personally believe 35mm film projection was probably the best engineered and most reliable long-serving system that was ever produced. I enjoyed it and took good care working with it. The previous owner of our drive-in was a bit of a pack rat though, and not only our screen tower but also booth was chock full of dead 35mm equipment and accessories. The booth had "trails" of floor open to navigate through the old stuff to the "new" (1952 XL with platter) and so those old gold Kalee's and arc lamps (the Kalee's being the heaviest things I ever have or will moved) got pushed off the roof and into the dumpster, we simply weren't capable of anything else. The screen tower "archives"? Haven't done much yet, but every year that passes I'm tempted to rent another dumpster. I just don't know who would ever want it again. Our XL is still operational, in theory, the platter is gone but we have plenty of magazines up in the tower we could use.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-12-2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, here is a real deal on a solid 16mm projector...

Telex projector, new military surplus

I bought two of these a while back when they were on sale before...one ended up at UCI, the other is my personal machine.

One of the machines developed a problem with the rewind clutch..I contacted the seller and he sent me a replacement projector at no charge..AND told me to keep the bad one for spare parts.

They work as advertised, very smooth and quiet, and pretty gentle on older prints.

Jacob Delaney
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2015 07:59 PM      Profile for Jacob Delaney   Email Jacob Delaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Kodak Pageant is having trouble starting and It'll be needing a recap on the amp soon. I hate doing that. I don't know how I feel about buying from them again after they ruined a lamp house I bought.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2015 12:35 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably have more Kodak / Eastman Projectors than B&H or any others in my collection. Going back to the FS-1O-N,Clear up to the last of Kodak's in house built Pageants(250S). Always had Good luck with their AV Projectors and my Eastman 30 which I bought new in 1968 still runs flawlessly since the day I bought it [beer]

-
1940's FS-10-N KODASCOPE (Mint Condition)

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2015 12:15 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've owned, at one time or another, most of the machines that have been pictured
in this post. My favorites, are definitely B&H models 185 & 285.

I've had a 285 that I bought in the 1970's that's still going strong.

Fortunately, in the late 1980's I worked at a shop that was an official B&H
authorized repair station. When they went out of business, I was able to
stock up on a number of parts that were going to be trashed, and
I still
have enough 'spares' here to keep both machines running for quite some time.

Yes, they're heavy, and noisy and eat a lot of AC power, but they're
still my two favorite machines.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: