Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My prediction on how the new STAR WARS will open with Disney logo (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My prediction on how the new STAR WARS will open with Disney logo
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will miss the Fox logo with their awesome Alfred Newman fanfare and CinemaScope extention on the new Star Wars film but I think Disney opening wili be more subtle. I think STAR WARS - The Force Awakens will open with both the Disney and LucasFilm logos with no sound. Once the two logos are shown, the original John Williams theme will open the film with the main title and scroll like all the previous films.

- Claude

|  IP: Logged

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Iger has said there will be no Disney logo and that the LucasFilm logo will be played with their new fanfare.

http://screencrush.com/no-disney-logo-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

quote:
Iger spoke to a group of students at Ithaca College’s Roy H. Park School of Communications (Iger’s alma mater) via Skype on October 7. While he obviously couldn’t talk much about Star Wars: The Force Awakens, he did tell the students that there would be no Disney logo on the film, only the Lucasfilm fanfare. When asked why, he said it was “for the fans.”
Here is a link to the new fanfare too!

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 04:12 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Lucas film logo looks cheap for a big studio that does fancy effects and sound. You would think they would have come up with something way better. Maybe they are on a tight budget these days.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas Film is now a part of the Walt Disney Company just like Pixar is and they have a lot of money.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 07:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"For the fans," baloney. They're doing it the same way they're doing the Marvel films and the Touchstone films, leaving the Disney name off of it. But at the end it will say "Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

They know that the Disney logo isn't appropriate for this film. They save the Disney logo for their family films.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 09:36 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney does not own Marvel. They only distribute their films. Disney also does not own Dreamworks Pictures but they are now distributing their pictures. Touchtone pictures like Hollywood Pictures have been a subsidiary of Disney for years and Disney owns them. I see nothing wrong with Disney putting distribution credit at the end of all the movies they distributes. . Pixar movies are the only one that open with the Walt Disney Logo before the Pixar Lamp logo.

-Claude

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 09:57 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's going to be very strange not seeing the Fox fanfare at the beginning of a Star Wars. For me the two are forever linked.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 10:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
isn't Dreamworks part of Fox, well for the animated movies I thought.

It's too bad, Marvel and Pixar don't have more say in how their movies are released on bluray from Disney - Disney's reluctance in not releasing Atmos mixes on bluray is bonkers. Hope LucasFilms has some weight in mandating the blu of 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' includes the Dolby Atmos mix.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2015 12:33 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Disney does not own Marvel. They only distribute their films. Disney also does not own Dreamworks Pictures but they are now distributing their pictures.
Actually Disney does own Marvel; they acquired Marvel Entertainment (which included among other divisions Marvel Studios) in 2009. Much like they now also own outright Pixar and Lucasfilm.

quote: Jonathan Goeldner
Isn't Dreamworks part of Fox, well for the animated movies I thought.
Confusingly there are *two* different DreamWorks. DreamWorks SKG produces live-action films. They have bounced around with different distributors over the years; currently Disney distributes their films domestically.

DreamWorks Animation is a totally different company (publicly traded, actually), with Jeff Katzenberg as their CEO. Fox distributes DWA titles both theatrically and for home video.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2015 03:50 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not for the fans

Seriously, it's a pathetic, cheap, quick, and dirty attempt. I really hope Iger doesn't know what he's talking about and JJ surprises us with something much better.

If all else fails, once it his Blu-ray, fans are going to add the Fox logo and Fanfare on to the beginning of the film. I know I probably will.

AJG

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2015 04:13 AM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no pleasing some people. Iger's decision to have only the Lucasfilm logo at the beginning *should* be a good thing but I have a feeling a lot of people complaining about this won't be satisfied unless there is literally a FOX logo with the FOX fanfare at the beginning which, of course, is completely unrealistic.

Just remember that it's the Fox fanfare, not the Star Wars fanfare.

Also, why should we assume the hacked together fanfare they used on a digital-only release recently will be the same one used at the beginning of The Force Awakens? Surely they will clean that up a bit at the very least but I'd put my money on hearing something completely different that John Williams has put together specifically for the new Lucasfilm productions.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2015 09:13 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ it's just that the two have become so symbiotic - the fanfare, slight pause... dah-dah 'Star Wars theme.. oh well

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A different intro is the least of my worries about this new Star Wars film. J.J. Abrams has made some really baffling creative choices in his previous 4 directorial efforts, 2 of which involved crapping all over the Star Trek saga. Hopefully Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt (who co-wrote the script with Abrams) have been able to limit the nonsense.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-02-2015 12:32 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like getting everyone hyped up to see the movie, sitting them down in the theater with all of their excitement, and then immediately starting the movie off on the wrong foot. Nice job, Disney.

LICENSE THE FAN FARE MUSIC FROM FOX.

It's not that hard. Make a phone call.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-02-2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the hell should they do that? Like somebody stated above, it's not the Star Wars fanfare. It's the Fox fanfare. Why should Disney pay to put somebody else's name on their product?

If anything, Fox should make the phone call and offer to pay Disney to put the logo on "for the fans."

If it wasn't for the Internet, this wouldn't even be an issue. People getting all worked up over absolutely nothing. If not for the internet, the movie would start rolling and after it was over a couple of people would say "Hey, it didn't have the Fox logo and music." Their friends would say "It didn't??!" and maybe a few would see the movie a second time to check it out.

It would be a simple matter though for any movie theater to get a Star Wars Blu-Ray and make their own Fox fanfare DCP to play ahead of the movie. (and pump up the bass on that, while they're at it.) Disney would be powerless to stop that.

quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Pixar movies are the only one that open with the Walt Disney Logo before the Pixar Lamp logo.
Right, because Pixar movies fit in with the Walt Disney Pictures brand, whereas Touchstone and Marvel (and now Lucasfilm) movies don't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: