Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Carmike opens New Imax today ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Carmike opens New Imax today ?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2015 01:06 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought IMAX meant you were not only going to have a much wider picture but also the height would be way up there also. Another Bogus Carmike Fraud; People that have seen True Imax Theaters will be rolling their eyes at this! [Roll Eyes]

http://billingsgazette.com/entertainment/movies/carmike-opens-new-in-your-face-imax-friday/article_068a3e75-7701-5c3b-80c9-44a96ea47ef3.html

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-05-2015 02:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by that picture, the image is roughly 50 feet wide and nowhere near a proper 2.40:1 aspect ratio for scope. What's interesting is that IMAX has always been about height with their almost-square image. Now they appear to be cropping the height of the scope image (if that picture is indeed accurate and not photoshopped).

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2015 12:18 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not Photoshopped, That's the Theater. Any Idiot that would pay another 8 dollars to watch a 3-D film there is the same Duh that pays 13 dollars for a Medium Popcorn and Coke. [thumbsdown] [fu]

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2015 07:39 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's something wrong with that photo - just look at the presumed scope ratio of the screen and then the Mockingjay image on it is still letterboxed. So the image is stretched horizontally, meaning the normal Liemax 1.85:1 is in use.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-05-2015 08:03 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope those stairs don't really light up like that.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2015 10:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pity that it's not 4K laser.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-05-2015 11:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a sham! But then wasn't this a conversion job done on an existing theater screen rather than something built entirely brand new? It looks like there's no more than maybe 150 seats in that modest sized room.

Edit: reading further into the article, this theater has 311 seats and was a former "Big D" house.

I have plenty of complaints about IMAX Digital, but at least the IMAX branded house they have at the new Carmike recently opened here in Lawton is pretty big, and even boating a significantly higher than usual seating capacity for IMAX labeled houses, nearly 600 seats. That's roughly the same as the Moore Warren IMAX, which is one of the biggest IMAX digital houses in operation. The screen is still rectangular though, not the square-ish shape of a true 15-perf 70mm film based IMAX theater.

quote: Bill Brandenstein
Pity that it's not 4K laser.
For the ticket price being charged it's a shame IMAX isn't converting ALL of its 2K HDTV resolution screens to dual 4K laser. The new one here in my town has the old 2K variety of projectors (and a lot of old Doremi servers for the standard priced screens too).

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2015 12:20 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what this outfit is thinking. For that Screen Height,they could have used their old Vacant 3 plex theater that is only a 100 or so yards away from Shiloh 16 and probably had double the seating capacity. The way they talked at the beginning of this project in the summer was that the Screen would dwarf the Big-D Theater...Yeah Right ! [puke] [thumbsdown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-06-2015 05:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This conversion job reminds me of comedian Aziz Ansari's blog post about Lie-MAX:
http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/106587114

That post got quite a bit of publicity. But apparently IMAX, Carmike and others involved this conversion job just don't care. A regular sized movie theater screen bearing an IMAX label and IMAX ticket price is a big middle finger to customers. Not cool at all.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-06-2015 10:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No - it's a big cash vacuum, which is why they do it.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2015 01:04 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just reblogged it on one of my tumblr's, the post regarding Lie-Max. Which is like pissing myself while wearing black slacks, nice warm feeling but no one notices. My followers don't go to many movies anyway...

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2015 08:50 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry for being negatory - but you convert a former prime auditorium to IMAX which seals you into a deal with what IMAX distributes/releases - and not just pony up to invest/install a 4K DLP (or laser) system and Atmos instead? that's kind of dumb.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2015 10:23 AM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine its because of the IMAX brand name more than anything else. Movie goers in my area don't care that they're going to see 2K 3D projection and limited content, they want the "IMAX experience."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-07-2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
The way they talked at the beginning of this project in the summer was that the Screen would dwarf the Big-D Theater...Yeah Right
They never said anything about the size of the screen or the auditorium in the articles I've read, only that the screen would be floor-to-ceiling. From the looks of this the screen is the same, they just changed out the projection and sound. In other words a typical "LieMax."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-07-2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical "Lie-MAX" but there's no lie about the IMAX-sized ticket price.

Here is a visual comparison of the new IMAX branded screen in Billings versus the one Carmike opened last month in Lawton. The top image is of the Billings screen and the second one is a kind of bad smart phone image I snapped at the Lawton location.

-

The news article says the Billings theater has 311 seats. The one is Lawton has 598 seats (I want to confirm that on another visit because it could actually have more). Both theaters are charging in the same price range, yet one auditorium is much bigger than the other one. Through marketing we're led to believe all IMAX theaters are the same (same booth hardware, same huge screen, better presentation than anyone else can deliver, etc.) when you enter the auditorium you'll find out you paid for something different.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: