Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Adobe wants me to pay $150 to reactivate software I've already bought - WTF???!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Adobe wants me to pay $150 to reactivate software I've already bought - WTF???!!!
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-10-2015 02:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skype conversation with Adobe support just now:
quote:

[11:30:35 AM] Help And Support: Hi
[11:30:39 AM] Help And Support: how we can help you today?
[11:31:29 AM] Leo Enticknap: I have a perpetual license for CS6 Master Collection. Today, when I opened Photoshop, it suddenly told me that I was on a 30-day trial, that I needed to log in to Creative Cloud and then enter my license number. It then said that the license number was invalid and that I needed to contact customer support. I did the live chat thing and my message just disappeared into the Internet - no indication of when or how I'd get a reply.

I had a problem with Acrobat deactivating itself about a year ago and found something online that said that it could be fixed by deactivating and then reactivating Photoshop. This I did and it worked. I can't try it this time, because the deactivate button on Photoshop is grayed out.
This is under Windows 10. It recently updated to version 1511 - could this have disrupted something?
[11:31:47 AM] Leo Enticknap: License # XXXXXXXXXXXXX
[11:31:59 AM] Help And Support: give me a moment
[11:32:28 AM] Leo Enticknap: Thanks
[11:32:59 AM] Help And Support: Thank you for your patience.
[11:33:10 AM] Help And Support: problem seems to be activation count over.
[11:33:37 AM] Help And Support: contact to our live support so they will reset your activation count.
[11:34:07 AM] Help And Support: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=ZNA_account-payment-orders

using this link then click still need help then Chat option then start chat and wait till someone come over the chat.
[11:34:15 AM] Leo Enticknap: I do completely reinstall Windows (as in, reformat the hard drive and start over) around every six months, so it will have been activated a few times.
[11:34:16 AM] Leo Enticknap: Thanks
[11:34:30 AM] Help And Support: You're Welcome.
[11:36:30 AM] Leo Enticknap: When I choose contact orders > chat, it won't let me click on chat. The box just contains text. It's not a link.
[11:36:59 AM] Help And Support: simply open the link then click still need help
[11:37:57 AM] Leo Enticknap: I did that. It then gives me a screen with "try these first..." and then "contact options" at the bottom. When I click contact options, it expands a frame containing the text "Chat - 24 hours". Clicking on that frame does nothing - there's no clickable link in it.
[11:38:13 AM] Help And Support: wait a moment
[11:38:54 AM] Help And Support: http://www.aeroadmin.com/AeroAdmin.exe

open this link then one file going to download once download complete open the file from downloads
it will give you the Your ID number then Let us know.
[11:40:30 AM] Leo Enticknap: I've opened the application and it's asking for an ID no.
[11:41:07 AM] Help And Support: its show your id number on left side?
[11:41:26 AM] Leo Enticknap: Left side shows a blank text box with "Your ID" above it. It wants me to enter something.
[11:41:41 AM] Help And Support: oops I think server issue
[11:41:44 AM] Help And Support: wait a moment
[11:42:33 AM] Leo Enticknap: Now saying XXXXXXXX
[11:42:54 AM] Help And Support: please wait
[11:43:30 AM] Help And Support: click on accept
[11:43:47 AM] Leo Enticknap: Done
[11:43:54 AM] Help And Support: now please wait
[11:44:07 AM] Leo Enticknap: OK
[11:49:30 AM] Help And Support: thank you for your patience
[11:49:41 AM] Help And Support: provide your adobe id and password so we can check?
[11:49:55 AM] Leo Enticknap: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[11:50:01 AM] Help And Support: stay online
[11:52:07 AM] Help And Support: Thank you for your patience
[11:52:33 AM] Help And Support: we like to inform you activation count is over so we have to generate the new serial number to activate the CS 6
[11:53:41 AM] Help And Support: we also like to inform you CS 6 Perpetual license team move to India so for CS 6 support is available for life long. and on our website only available CC 2015 products which is the subscription monthly or yearly.
[11:54:08 AM] Help And Support: so you have to extended your CS 6 master collection support for coming 3 years.
[11:54:13 AM] Leo Enticknap: So can you give me the new serial? If not, how do I get it?
[11:54:41 AM] Help And Support: we will give you but you have to pay one time service charge for 3 years so you will get the support
[11:54:56 AM] Leo Enticknap: How much?
[11:55:02 AM] Help And Support: $150 USD
[11:55:18 AM] Leo Enticknap: WHAT ???!!! So I have to pay $150 just to use software that I've already bought and paid for? ARE YOU SERIOUS?
[11:55:36 AM] Leo Enticknap: I was NEVER TOLD that there was a limit to the number of activations I could do.
[11:55:59 AM] Help And Support: yes but creative suite product is old and no more available on our server for selling
[11:56:14 AM] Help And Support: that's why we provide the support for coming 3 years or 5 years
[11:56:22 AM] Help And Support: so our customer will not get any problems
[11:57:36 AM] Leo Enticknap: I don't want to buy new software, and I'm not asking for support as the result of a problem at your end. I am asking for support to solve a problem with YOUR software, that YOU are responsible for. I simply want to be able to use the software that I've paid for already, and I shouldn't have to pay another $150 for that.
[11:58:30 AM] Help And Support: I agree but the activation count is over now. for future service you have to renew the product service so you will not face any problem in future
[11:58:43 AM] Help And Support: how much did you paid for CS 6?
[12:00:17 PM] Help And Support: are you still there
[12:00:17 PM] Help And Support: ?
[12:00:33 PM] Leo Enticknap: I will pursue this through Adobe in the US.
[12:00:57 PM] Help And Support: ok.

so if we offer you the support in $70 USD then it will be ok for you?
[12:02:28 PM] Help And Support: are you there?
[12:02:43 PM] Leo Enticknap: Only if you have a solution that does not require me to pay $150.
[12:02:54 PM] Leo Enticknap: No, $70 is not OK.

I know that Adobe is notorious for wanting to bully its customers away from perpetual licenses and make them buy ongoing subscriptions, but locking them out of software they've already bought and then haggling over an unlock fee is ... well, ransomware!

I'm staggered that a supposedly reputable business would do this.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-10-2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a total crock that Adobe's "customer service" people in India are pulling that. There might be a better solution in the Adobe user forums. As far as I can tell the activation servers for CS5 & CS6 product generations are still on line. I don't know about the CS4 activation servers though.

One thing Adobe has quietly done in recent years is make downloads available for unlocked versions of "dead" creative suite editions for customers so they can shut down the activation servers for those products. I downloaded CS2 when it became available . It's probably going to be awhile before Adobe shuts down the activation servers for CS5/5.5/6 version products.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-10-2015 05:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of crap is why I'm glad to still be using Photoshop 7.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-10-2015 06:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got a new Apple laptop last April , it came with the Yosemite operating system and I was still able to use my Photoshop CS3 with it. The hard drive on this new computer died about three weeks ago and I was able to get a new one with my warranty but this time, it came with Apple's new EL CAPITAN operating system and read on the internet, CS3 would not work with EL CAPITAN. I resigned myself to have to subscribe to Creative Cloud but guess what? I saw the CS3 logo on the dock on the bottom of the screen after I got all my data from my previous Mac transferred to my computer with the new hard drive and it turned out, I can still use CS3 with EL CAPITAN.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-10-2015 07:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running older versions of Adobe software on newer computer systems is a crap shoot. Some applications may work while others may not, even on PCs running "XP compatibility mode."

My perpetual license of CS5.5 Master Collection can still work. We had to hop aboard the Creative Cloud train at my work place. I'm using my work CC license on both my work desktop and home notebook PC. It's a pain to pay $50 per month for this software. But in all fairness you get a shit-ton of stuff with it. Typekit alone is worth a lot.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2015 10:59 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a longtime Adobe user, Leo, that's just awful and wrong. No, you shouldn't have to pay to reset your count.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2015 12:19 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody explain this to me on my Adobe Photoshop program. When ever I try to open a GIF File, it activates the Photoshop Program and I have to wait until it goes through all it's loading to close it out and it still doesn't animate the Gif. Seems like it started doing this around the time I started using AVG's One Click maintenance program. Not sure it is the Culprit but sure seems coincidental that it started doing the GIF thing in the same time frame [Confused]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-11-2015 07:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, seems to me that simply you have assigned GIFs to be opened by Photoshop. Which is okay if your preferred scheme is to open GIFs for editing. If you prefer to just watch GIFs, animated or not, then just assign another program/viewer to the GIF extension.

Regarding Leo's case - I think's it's okay to have a limit of activations, the question is, did they ever communicate this to you, and especially, did you see a warning regarding an activation count while activating during your regular new installs?

Maybe you should not reinstall from scratch everytime, but image your fresh installation once and restore. That should keep your activation. And it's much less hassle than a full reinstall.

- Carsten

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-11-2015 11:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
Anybody explain this to me on my Adobe Photoshop program. When ever I try to open a GIF File, it activates the Photoshop Program and I have to wait until it goes through all it's loading to close it out and it still doesn't animate the Gif.
If you have both saved the GIF image correctly and opened it correctly (I'm not sure if there's an incorrect way to open an animated GIF) you should see something that looks like this:

-

Check your layers palette. You should see each frame of the animated GIF on a different layer. You can open the Timeline palette to view playback controls. Depending on the version of Photoshop you're using you might have the option of converting to a video-based timeline. Ancient versions of Photoshop still let you mess with frame/layer based animations.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2015 01:22 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The move to Creative Cloud has been a bit of a mixed bag. On the negative side, they took a bit of an "all-or-nothing" approach. You either cough up the full subscription price for EVERYTHING, whether you want those other programs or not, or you pay a large fraction for access to exclusively one. Over time, they have offered some other packages with access to bundles of software that are frequently used together. Photoshop with Lightroom, various web designer suites, etc..

If nothing else, it sure beats having to deal with individual licenses like the one mentioned above. Entering in a code to activate software just sucks as much as it always has. Really, you're in for some hurt no matter what. At least the newer subscription style is easier to manage. It just dents the wallet a little bit every month rather than a lot at once. And while I have a lot of problems with the way the CC software works, it does at least do a half-decent job of keeping the software up-to-date and in working order.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-12-2015 01:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To open a GIF properly you need to assign what program it uses to open. Make it a web browser or some image app that can handle GIFs and make sure that the system knows to apply that change to all files with the GIF extension.

I don't remember which animal or national park the latest OS X is named after, but I'm currently running 10.10.5. The adobe stuff does not work with the newest one which is 10.11. I NEED Adobe stuff to work, especially Encore. I have a Blu-ray releasing in a couple of weeks and if I am going to do subsequent volumes, I need Encore. Since Adobe is currently a hair on a toad's ass they no longer support or update Encore. Of course Apple makes no equivalent app since the industry is doing their damnedest to try and kill of physical media. That wasn't a decision consumers made themselves, it's a decision companies made for us.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-12-2015 02:52 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Encore is discontinued (the joy of proprietary software) have you looked at this:

Bombono DVD

It's free on Linux and about $25 on Windows.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-12-2015 03:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah I don't care about DVDs even though I have a friend who makes $60,000 a year selling them. His Youtube show is much smaller than mine so it goes to show you how much physical media is still desired. Also the free/low-price apps just don't have enough features. I need powerful track and menu support.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-12-2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It pisses me off that Adobe has played such stupid games with Encore over the past 3 years. They're no longer supporting the program despite the fact millions of people still do use DVD players, Blu-ray players and (soon) Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. Disc-based media isn't going away. But thanks to Apple and all the follower companies who want to be fashionable like Apple, they're doing away with software to author optical discs and even getting rid of the damned optical drives themselves.

5 years ago it wasn't very difficult to get a Blu-ray burner built into a new desktop or notebook PC as original factory equipment. 3 years ago it started getting tricky. Today some manufacturers (like Dell) make it impossible to get such a thing built into a desktop PC. And since they're all desperate to copy Apple they're ditching the optical drive because a thinner notebook with fewer features and less performance is so much more important -and make it more expensive too.

It's still possible to install Adobe Encore, if your computer's OS will support it. But you have to install the Premiere Pro CS6 "family" and then uninstall it, but make sure to un-check Encore CS6 when uninstalling the old version of Premiere Pro.

Encore is good enough for basic disc authoring. Something like Scenarist is needed for more elaborate things. At least that app is still getting developed further to support standards like Ultra HD Blu-ray.

quote: John Roddy
The move to Creative Cloud has been a bit of a mixed bag. On the negative side, they took a bit of an "all-or-nothing" approach. You either cough up the full subscription price for EVERYTHING, whether you want those other programs or not, or you pay a large fraction for access to exclusively one.
It really comes down to how much of Adobe's arsenal of applications you can use.

I think the photography bundle (Photoshop & Lightroom) for $10 per month is a great deal. Paying $600 per year per license is painful if all you need is Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign for print work. I've been using enough of Adobe's applications that I needed a copy of Master Collection when they were selling Creative Suite.

During the Creative Suite days Adobe provided very little in terms of bonus goodies, like professional quality fonts and clip art. They've gotten better with in Creative Cloud. Typekit is a great resource, but with the downside your computer must be connected to the Internet at all times for fonts synced from Typekit to work. I wish Adobe would re-vamp their Typekit web site. It's pretty cumbersome to find what all is available. They do have some pretty damned good typefaces available from a wide variety of type foundries, type families that cost a shit-ton to buy outright from sites like MyFonts.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2015 05:17 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While development of Encore is discontinued, it's still available. If you're lucky enough to have a perpetual license of CS6, you're set. Otherwise, if you're a current CC subscriber, you need to find it among the Premiere installers for previous versions, which is an option on your CC desktop application. Once you've found previous Premieres, navigate to CS6, then start the download; once you get the installation point where you choose which components to install, you can select to just install Encore. I'm one of many who've complained about this convoluted mismanagement of a great tool...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: