Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » STAR WARS The Force Awakens getting great reviews (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: STAR WARS The Force Awakens getting great reviews
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-16-2015 04:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rotten Tomatoes gave STAR WARS The Force Awakens a 94% favorable rating and Brian Truitt of USA TODAY gave it a four star review. On top of that, many after the world premiere showing said it was great and lives up to the tradition of the original trilogy. With All of these great reviews,the film now awaits the general public's reaction to the film and I am confident everyone will feel the same way. With the critIcal acclaim and expected favorable reaction to the movie,STAR WARS The Force Awakens could become the highest grossing film topping AVATAR.

I will wait a couple of weeks before seeing it and when I do, I will see it in IMAX 3D and I hope the converted 3D will be great and it results in making people once again flocking to see the movie in that format like AVATAR did

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2015 08:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I noticed earlier that the best reviewer at RogerEbert.com was on tap for this one, Matt Zoller Seitz, and he gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars.

I, however, didn't read much of the review because I don't want to know too much!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-17-2015 01:16 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-17-2015 03:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STAR WARS The Force Awakens was just added to the lists of "Best Film of The Year" nomination by the American Film Institute along with SPOTLIGHT, MADS MAX FURY ROAD, CAROL, THE BIG SHORT BRIDGE OF SPIES, INSIDE OUT, THE MARTIAN, ROOM and STRAIGHT OUT OF COMPTON.

Along with all the technical Academy Award nomination the Star Wars film is assured of getting, THE FORCE AWAKENS also has a good chance of being nominated for a Best Picture Oscar based on the great reviews the movie has received.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2015 04:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While Star Wars: The Force Awakens does have an impressive Rotten Tomatoes, Tomato Meter score (95%), that score doesn't really get into whether the positive reviews are saying the movie is freaking great or if it's just a reasonably decent movie. That's the weakness with the Tomato Meter.

The movie has an 81 score at Metacritic.

I haven't read too deep into any of the reviews (don't need any spoilers). But I'm under the impression this new Star Wars movie is trending in a fairly standard 3-star zone.

As far as Oscar-potential goes I wouldn't expect it to do more than win a few technical awards. And even there I think Mad Max: Fury Road was likely a bigger accomplishment, given all the practical non-CGI effects in that movie.

It's worth noting J.J. Abrams' two Star Trek installments earned very good Rotten Tomato scores. 95% for the first movie and 87% for the "into darkness" sequel. Lots of Star Trek fans hated the shit out of both movies for the liberties Abrams took with the material. He toilet-flush the Star Trek canon in the first movie and had the second one turn The Wrath of Khan into a trivial bullshit joke.

The only way to tell if the new Star Wars movie is really any good is to see it yourself (and give the Mouse House some of your money).

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-17-2015 04:43 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For entertaining reading up to the preview shows, follow the #StarWarsTheForceAwakens Twitter hashtag for hundreds of absurdly fake spoilers, followed by hundreds of Star Wars core nerds replies that say "You're not funny."

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-17-2015 06:14 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
While Star Wars: The Force Awakens does have an impressive Rotten Tomatoes, Tomato Meter score (95%), that score doesn't really get into whether the positive reviews are saying the movie is freaking great or if it's just a reasonably decent movie. That's the weakness with the Tomato Meter.
This is a very good point. Star Wars is currently at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average score of 8.2. By comparison, Inside Out was 98% with an average score of 9.0. By this metric, I think the 94% for Star Wars definitely represents people truly liking the movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2015 06:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
see it yourself (and give the Mouse House some of your money).
You say that like it's a bad thing.

quote: Justin Hamaker
I think the 94% for Star Wars definitely represents people truly liking the movie.
That sound you hear is thousands of theater owners breathing a sigh of relief.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2015 12:10 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I don't know what Carmike Theaters Policy is in other states about wearing masks/costumes to the theater; but ours(SHILOH 14) seems to be saying "Wear what you Brung" All the
tickets were soldout clear up to the 10:30pm showing and I'm sure there gone now. There going to run the Movie back to back for 31hrs. Some of these Die Hard STARWARS Fan's were at the theater at 6:00AM to wait in line. About 20 degrees above zero. Some of these Fans would risk Pnenomonia to get those first tickets. This Guy thinks he'll get a Discount coming like this...Think again Pal, this is Carmike [puke]

-

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-18-2015 01:31 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really weird here -- our first night crowd last night was about as expected for a big Thursday opening, but tonight we are only about 1/3 full. I don't know what's happened. I'm thinking of a few factors:

- There are high school basketball games tonight
- People are waiting for our matinee tomorrow
- There is a high school wrestling tournament going on
- People think we're sold out
- A lot of people are at Christmas parties
- People didn't buy advance tickets, but think they needed to buy advance tickets
- People are waiting for family members to arrive home for the holidays
- People are hoping to avoid the opening weekend mob

All of which could lead up to us getting unexpectedly slammed one of these nights. I guess we'll just need to be ready whenever it happens.

At least I HOPE it happens! Or it's going to be a very long holiday season around here.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-18-2015 09:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar thing here Mike. We're plenty busy, but not sold out busy. I'm sure many of those factors come into play.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2015 09:53 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure how the weekend played out. I went Friday night after Thursdays opening thinking it may be futile but what else am i doing? I went to the 9:30 show and there were maybe 30 people, and perhaps double that for the first show at 7. Last time I went to this particular theater they just about sold out of 400 seats for avengers. I was shocked to see this opening night on Star Wars. But many people I know said there was no way they were going to attempt going on opening weekend and were going to wait for the crowds to die down. Sounds like a lot of people had that plan...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-20-2015 10:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah when everyone was talking ticket pre-sales and whatnot I was like "Screw this, I'm not gonna even get close to a theater for at least 2 or 3 weeks after it releases." A lot of people might be thinking similar thoughts just due to the excessive hype. Saw it Friday night at 10:30 and the auditorium was maybe 2/3 full at most. Small auditorium in 2D. I can't even imagine seeing this movie in 3D (as in, it would be inferior in 3D).

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2015 10:57 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well just heard off AP- Box office: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' opens to record $238M for cosmic $517M global launch...

Some reviews : If you don't want to see them then look no Farther [Roll Eyes]

Ray•about an hour ago

Star Wars the Force Awakens is only a remake of the original Star Wars movie rewritten. The Star Wars bar scene, the death star “planet” on steroids, the father vs son conflict were directly taken from the original movie or fourth installment in the franchise. This movie didn’t give you anything new. Positives, the visual effects were state of the art. Acting…OK. Negatives, Script…horrible, very little originality. Wait for the DVD. On second thought buy the bootleg. I didn’t hate the movie I just didn’t like it as much as I wanted to and I’m a Star Wars fan.

mike* about an hour ago

Saying a movie set any record is bogus, Prices have skyrocketed since any really good movie has been made and there are millions of more seats available worldwide and the worlds population has gone from 4 Billion to 7.5 billion in 30 years. No comparison can be made this way.

mary* about an hour ago

Not worth the 14.00 Ticket. Only winners here were the actors The Audience Got Spamed again. What a crappy Script, And who the hell the Giant Hologram dude and when did the 1st eners show up.

jerry* about an hour ago

How much is that in real worth terms. When you can charge $20 for an adult ticket vs. the $1.75 of the 70's

Mike•about 2 hours ago

So, wait...The Single Day total includes Thursday and Friday. That's two days. It's bad enough that they don't adjust Box Office records according to inflation and upcharges (like 3-D). Now, they're just coming up with whatever formulas they want as they go along.
Look, the thing can be measured by asses-in-seats and still impress everyone. But, that's got nothing to do with quality. Why do they keep on insisting I should care about some rich corporation's money?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: