Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » App for Drive in radio stations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: App for Drive in radio stations?
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know of a App that can be used at a Drive-in movie theater?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-25-2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what purpose?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for customers to listen to the sound from the movie while sitting in there cars, rather then using there car radios

Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 03:57 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A phone app? There are devices that you can buy.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-25-2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most cell phones include FM radio chips but they are not activated and can't be used by the person who owns the phone.

See here for more details on that.

Therefore, you would need to provide the audio as a streaming mp3 or ogg from a streaming audio server.

Yes, this could be done.

No, it couldn't be synchronized consistently with the action on the screen.

The powers-that-be would likely require that your streaming audio server be accessible only from within the area of your drive in. Again, this could be done but your customers will be competing for some pretty limited bandwidth through a standard wifi hotspot. Six AP's would be about the maximum you can use at one location; I don't know how many clients each one could support -- that depends on the quality of the audio (bitrate) you're trying to stream to them.

Maybe you could do something with bluetooth; I don't know enough about that to be sure.

But either way you'll still have a synchronization issue that is, as far as I know, unsolvable.

I used to run the streaming audio server for a radio station and the stream was always somewhere between 20 and 40 seconds behind the live signal by the time it arrived at the client's device.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2016 06:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great answer.

Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 07:59 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No my question was from the original question. When he says app is he asking is there a phone app?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 11:52 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, phone app

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-26-2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've actually had several customers at the 99W ask for that. Our response as to why that's not happening reflects Frank's comments about restricting the audio access withtn the property, and streaming sync issues.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-26-2016 04:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why the technology shouldn't work, in theory.

You can buy a media streaming encoder for a few hundred dollars. You would also need to set up your own Wi-Fi network. I have seen a media encoder that has a Wi-Fi built in.

I think it should be possible for customers to log in to the Wi-Fi network (use a password if security is an issue) then open the stream's URL from whatever browser the user has on his mobile device.

In theory, this should work.

Now... There are lots of potential problems...

First is the delay which everybody has already mentioned. I don't know if there is a way to eliminate it. It might not be possible.

Second is how to make a Wi-Fi network with enough power/range to cover a whole drive-in. I'm sure it's possible but at what expense? I'm sure that several Wi-Fi's could be set up as a network. I've seen it done in other places. I'm sure it's expensive, though.

Third is how reliable it is. What if the customer's device fails, malfunctions or some other unforeseeable circumstance. Will this work with all browsers? How do you ensure compatibility across platforms? I suppose you could create an app that automatically connects to the stream.

This should be doable but there are a lot of "gotchas."

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2016 04:42 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These folks only want to do "everything on my phone!" Simply put, the phone is not the way to enjoy a multi-tracked and wide band dynamic sound recording. It can be done but only for the thrill of "having it in an APP on my phone!"

Put the phone in your pocket and enjoy the movie from your fine stereo radio. That is already a compromise from how it sounds in a hardtop.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-26-2016 05:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the latency issue could be solved (unlikely), what would be the advantage vs. FM broadcast? Clearer reception? Potential for better quality sound for people using fancy headphones? Sound for people without car radios (but who happen to have fancy telephones?!?)?

I could see having an app for your theatre for showtimes and maybe even concession ordering (does any drive-in do food delivery to cars? that might be interesting, actually), but, unless I am missing something significant, I don't see the benefit for delivering movie sound.

Plus, having light-up things in the car in front of yours is annoying at the drive-in. And would the batteries on an ithing even last for a double-feature?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-26-2016 05:37 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
First is the delay which everybody has already mentioned. I don't know if there is a way to eliminate it. It might not be possible.
One of the issues here is different devices are going to have different issues. Plus if someone has other apps open on their phone it might cause delays. Even if we had everything set up perfectly on our end, its just seems like there are far too many variables to make this work. Then you need to worry about having someone knowledgeable onsite every night to deal with the variety of connectivity issues which are bound to come up.

It's basically the same issue as trying to provide closed captioning and descriptive narration at the drive-in. At least with the Visually Impaired Narration you could have an alternate radio station which it is was run through.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-26-2016 08:12 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've asked around, but haven't actually seen one of these things in use. The issue of synchronization, even if a phone can process FM, is really the first one that needs to be addressed. If it can't (or won't) be done, then the phone won't work... period.

We've also thought about the idea of purchasing concessions through a phone app, but rejected that as well. Again, too many issues to make the novelty worthwhile.

At a place like ours, there are way too many options available to the customer. You order a sandwich. On our POS system, the system brings up the questions of options... Add Cheese? Bacon? Chili? Fries? No onions (or several other condiments)? Oh... on the fries... Garlic? Cheese? Chili? Crumbled bacon?
Similar options screens exist for just about everything else... Popcorn (flavor shakers), Pizzas, Drinks (hot and cold),

Our cashiers work through those lists in seconds, in organized fashion and with smiles on their faces. The general public would likely find our system a frustrating, confusing mess. And yet, those lists of options largely grew from our experience with the customers at our counters, where they ask for everything imaginable, and where, in a "cook to order" service, they usually get it.

I suppose we could offer a simplified menu, but as soon as the "outside customers" figured out there were options they could only get inside, the whole thing would turn into a gripe-fest.

Then, the issue of successfully punching in your credit card. That's done often enough, I suppose, but added to the challenge of ordering, it's just another frustration.

OK. Order's done... goes to us... is finished and in our scenario, we text or call you to come pick it up (carhops are out of the question). You come in, work your way through the pickup line and probably spend a bit of time, looking at everything to see if we got it right. When your order hit our POS system, does it appear ahead of everyone who's standing in line, waiting their turn?

Our system has a screen in the back, where items produced in the kitchen appear. What is produced by the counter employees out front only shows up on their screens. We'd have to rethink our entire POS system to make this work.

All in all, we don't see the novelty as something that would end up being a positive experience. Actually, people sort of like working through the line. They know there's something good at the end of it, and they see it as a "shared adventure" of sorts. They also see some 15 people behind the counter, busting their chops to get things done, unlike the counter at your local post office!

Nope... Nope... Nope. Oh, we haven't bought into offering wifi, either, though I know other drive-ins do this for their own reasons. No comment on whether it's a good idea or not... we just haven't chosen to do so here.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-26-2016 11:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At a place like ours, there are way too many options available to the customer. ...

The general public would likely find our system a frustrating, confusing mess. ... in a "cook to order" service, they usually get it. ...

I suppose we could offer a simplified menu ... the whole thing would turn into a gripe-fest. ...

Then, the issue of successfully punching in your credit card. ...

OK. Order's done... goes to us... is finished ... You come in, work your way through the pickup line and probably spend a bit of time, looking at everything to see if we got it right. ...

When your order hit our POS system, does it appear ahead of everyone who's standing in line, waiting their turn?

Not to suggest you do any of this but strictly for discussion... Sheetz Convenience Stores have an on-line order system that works pretty well.

https://order.sheetz.com

You can order on-line, tell them what time you want to come and pick it up pay by credit card if you want to. (I always pay at the counter.) You simply walk in and give them your name. (Account User Name) They'll call your name you when your order is ready then you pay for the food at the cashier. (Wait in line if there are other customers.)

The one thing is that EVERYTHING you order from Sheetz food counter is entered from touch screen terminals. The machine prints out a ticket number. You take that ticket to the cashier and they scan the ticket number. Once paid, the kitchen knows it's okay to give out the food. For an on-line order, you give them your name.

The system works well. I've used it many times without a problem. The thing is that it would be quite an expense.

It's a neat idea but I don't think you would ever want to do it at a drive-in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: