Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 60th Anniversary of a historical concert, February 2.

Author Topic: 60th Anniversary of a historical concert, February 2.
James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2019 11:50 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The concert was held in the Surf ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa, and was promoted as the Winter Dance Party Tour. It featured Dion and the Belmonts, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J P "The Big Bopper" Richardson.
Most of you will know this story immediately. Others will have to let this sink in for a moment.
I was not yet born, so I have no recollection.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-01-2019 01:30 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is flirting with the line of a teaser topic... care to elaborate for those of us who don't want to play guessing games? [Razz]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2019 01:33 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It ends with an ill-fated airplane ride, and has been immortalized by Don McLean's American Pie.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-01-2019 02:30 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waylon Jennings gave up his seat on the plane, so didn't die.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2019 03:27 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
La Bamba.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-01-2019 03:44 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best performance every by Gary Busey.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-01-2019 05:51 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago in my radio days, Iowa was looking for a new state tourism slogan and taking public suggestions.

My very public submission, “We Killed Buddy Holly”, was somehow rejected.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2019 08:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of depressing to think that the rest of my life is going to consist of 40th, 50th and 60th anniversaries of my favorite stuff.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-01-2019 09:10 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realized a while back that almost everyone I know is a grandfather. And kids these days.... I use the Pacman theme for the incoming text message notification on my phone. Do you know how many teenagers I've had ask me if that's from a game and if so, what game it could be? "Pacman? Never heard of it."

Humph... Old coot syndrome must be setting in.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2019 11:53 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dion (DiMucci) was also offered a ride on the plane, but turned it down because he didn't want to pay the $35 ($304 in current dollars).

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2019 02:03 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dion also mentioned that, because the bus did not have a radio, they were not aware of the plane crash until they arrived at Fargo at the hotel. When the desk clerk told him, he went back to the bus and sat amongst the belongings of Holly, Valens and Richardson as they asked him to watch over their stuff as there was no room on the plane for it. He admitted it was very unnerving and sad.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-08-2019 10:27 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It's kind of depressing to think that the rest of my life is going to consist of 40th, 50th and 60th anniversaries of my favorite stuff.
Same here. I can add that Oct. of this year will be the 20th year after my father's death.

And so far, this year has not started off well for me at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: