Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Corpse Bride (2005)

Author Topic: Corpse Bride (2005)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-23-2005 03:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Nightmare Before Christmas sucked. This was no different. I suppose if you liked Nightmare that you will cream yourself over this stupid thing though. [Roll Eyes]

1 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film, 4 stars [Razz]

Very "Oz" like with the transition from a black and white look to color. fun stuff.

Not as good as "nightmare" though.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-23-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I sorta liked it... I'd give "Corpse Bride" 2-1/2 stars outta 5.

It certainly was MUCH better than his other attempts at film-making like "Mars Attacks!", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", or the ***BARELY*** watchable "Edward Scissorhands".

His BEST works were "Beetle Juice", "Ed Wood", and the shorts "Frankenweenie" and "Vincent".

ALL the rest of his stuff is C R A P!

BTW Danny, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was not under Timmy's direction...he only "suggested" the script story.... Real crap as well! [Wink]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going into this movie...knowing what it IS...I enjoyed it. Its a great halloween time type movie. I don't expect to see it nominated for anything, but still, 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 09-24-2005 07:28 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw a few minutes of the film (or, I should say "film", because it was the DLP) but the scene involved the two characters playing a duet on a piano. As a musician, I was impressed at the technical achievement alone in the animation because the notes you hear, and effectively the performance as a whole, are actually accurately portrayed! ... not something that live-action stuff even cares to get right most of the time. I mean, who cares if what you're hearing completely clashes with the actors' horrid attempts at miming a performance? I do! It's one of my pet peeves in movies when it really stands out. I thought that scene was well done. I've yet to see much more than that, though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-24-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on Brad's review, I predict a major hit.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-24-2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be Mike. I knew going into it that it wasn't my cup of tea, and I wasn't disappointed. Mileage will clearly vary on this one. [Big Grin]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-25-2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Subject header of this week's Century showtimes e-mail: "You're not dead you're married!" That is SO true.

I arrived a half hour ahead of the show, so I got my ticket and headed to the arcade. Man, can I milk a dollar in tokens. I was almost late to the auditorium due to pinball. I thought I was going to have to abandon my game.

I am not a fan of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" for purely selfish reasons. But I liked this one. The two piano scenes were wonderful. The end was just beautiful.

There's a giveaway to the ending about 45 minutes in that left me sure I had it, but I was only partly right.

[ 09-25-2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Sam Graham ]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-12-2005 12:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bumpies...

Rob Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Rob Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Nightmare Before Christmas when it came out, and I can still enjoy it on repeat viewings now. But this movie was such a pathetic reattempt at striking gold twice. It just wasn't going to happen. The film was pathetic, as very well expected.

Why do people keep letting Johnny Depp and Tim Burton make films together? This is the second in a row that has been UNWATCHABLE. Ed Wood was good. Edward Scissorhands was good. Even Sleepy Hollow was watchable. But no - this is the icing on the crap cake. screw this movie.
[fu] out of 5

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: