Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Blocking unwanted solicitation filtering through MSIE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blocking unwanted solicitation filtering through MSIE
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-27-2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I use MSIE alot when on FT and searching other sites. I might me sitting here jazzing around on Film-Tech, and some stupid message pops up through MSIE that says, in effect, "You are broadcasting your IP BS all over the world, and we can stop that from happening if you buy our stupid program for $XX.XX"

How do I disable this crap and block these sort of pop-ups? I looked for topics in "Help" and found nothing. Maybe I don't know what I am looking for. I have the security level setting at "Medium", and I don't really want to screw it down any tighter than I have to.

I never have this stuff coming through AOL or Opera. AOL's pop-up fix does work, so I know it is not filtering through them.

Any suggestions on how to adjust MSIE to block this stuff? I never have it happen if I use MSIE through the AOL window...I minimumize it and use MSIE by itself. That way I can run Opera on one screen, MSIE on the other, and once in a while bring up the AOL screen to check email.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 10:49 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Go a google search on "internet explorer popup blocker" (without the quotes) and you'll get links to a bunch of them. Some are free, but most cost $$. Unfortunately I can't recommend a specific one for you though. (I gave up on Opera because there are too many web sites that just don't work right with it.)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-27-2003 10:54 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, do you know if these programs will beat up on each other and crash MSIE, Opera, and AOL's pop-up fix?

Douglas Curry
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Douglas Curry   Author's Homepage   Email Douglas Curry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, installing 3rd party software to fix a problem (in this case an annoyance), has the chance to make other parts of your system worse..

That said, i used to use AdAware, which stops most ADs on webpages, as well as those annoying pop-up ones.

As David mentioned, there's a few of them out there, and in essance, they all do the same thing. The ones you pay $$$ for generally fit better into your system and offer more choices and extra bits'n'pieces.

I've never had any 'side-effects' from using them, however as i'm a pretty picky with how i want things on my PC to run, i don't agree with some of their rules.. i.e. Some of the PopUp blocking actually blocks ALL windows from opening up (apart from your initial window).

Bottom line, Use at your own Risk. It's not gonna nuke your system or anything, but as always with computers, just ensure you have backups and know how to uninstall! [thumbsup]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-27-2003 11:44 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is "Mule Haul" time, I guess. I found a reference to it in Microsoft, and Microsoft implied to simply add those web addresses to the restricted site.

Microsoft also mentioned there are many third party software companies out there that offer this type of protection. However, it goes further to say this:

quote:
"There are many non-Microsoft programs designed to prevent pop-up and pop-under advertisements from opening on your computer. These programs may cause side effects, such as preventing a Web site from opening a new window or other script-related problems. Microsoft does not provide product support for these programs. You can find more information about such programs by searching the Internet."
David and Douglas, thank you for the information. I am also picky on what I jam into this computer.

These are the type of messages I am complaining about:
 -

Thanks again, gang. I appreciate your input.

Douglas Curry
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Douglas Curry   Author's Homepage   Email Douglas Curry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, this type of message is thru a backdoor (not really a back door, it's the not-so-well-known Windows Messenger Service) in windows which allows 'net send' commands to reach your computer. (most anything coming thru like this is simple a MESSAGE -this case advertising -. Give me you IP and i could make one come up on your screen. [Wink] )

A firaly simple fix here, but similar to the popup AD windows.
This time round you'll need a firewall.
Some of the ad-programs may even have a built in Firewall.
I have PC-Cillian 2002 antivirus which has a built in firewall and it handles it fine. Another one i used to use was ZoneAlarm, which also has some ad blocking benefits also.

Good Luck [Smile]

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually paul, you can just disable windows messaging, allthough fire walls are good to have also....

Click Start;Settings;Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight Messenger
Right click the line and choose Properties.
Click the stop button.
Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

and that's it for xp home xp pro is the same except skip the performance and maintence tab.

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fixes suggested works fine if you can do that (i.e. turn of Messenger service, different from MSN messenger), or block it in your firewall/router whatever. Itīs not really necessary, but I work as a system administrator (managing some 17 servers of all different kinds of OS) and we use it for warnings and "in office" dialogue, but since this started to be annoying weīre thinking of redoing that system and shutting down messenger. Typically just another one of those things microsoft puts in, because it might come in handy some day, which someone finds and exploits (not bitter [Smile] ).
Hope you get rid of the problem, and Iīll hopefully get rid of it here too soon. Cursed be good solutions that have to be ablished because someone ruins something.
//Gunnar

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this [bs] going on in my computer (win XP), except the popups I was getting were fairly explicit in nature... not something I'd want showing up in front of the staff.

I just turned off the messenger service & have had no problems since.

.... one good reason to stay with Win98!

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 04:10 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been using w2k for a while. Nothing wrong with that for my home computer. Donīt want to switch to XP just yet, waiting for at least service pack 2... Maybe then. On the other hand, Iīll use whatever client Iīm serving, and I donīt quite sure will switch the whole enviroment and servers for a while...
Sad to say, though this problem is quite easily fixed if you donīt use the service, but I fear there will be more...

//Gunnar

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your system is in a network where there are legitimate uses for the "messenger service", shut it down as described. For a home computer, there is usually no reason to keep it running.
Note that this service is unrelated to MSN messenger and disabling it won't affect MSN messenger in any way.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first tried a pop-up blocker that worked for a day or two then was useless. But Douglas' recommended Ad-Aware program my daughter downloaded free. It roots out the cookies that embed themselves on your hard drives and generate the pop-ups. It scans your drive and lists the offending cookies, and you can delete them selectively, or all at once. I found that used every few months, it does a good job without any complications, and I downloaded it to my office machine as well.

Sean's recommendation sounds good too, and I might try it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-30-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
YadaYadaYada Click Administrative Tools, Double click Services, Scroll down and highlight MessengerYadaYadaYada
Sean, for some reason the messenger option was not present even though I am running W2K. Why, I don't know, but it wasn't.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went in and set mine as suggested and when I got up this morning there were no pop ups to clear away!! GREAT!
Mark

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

That's weird.... hmmmm, I found this on a very reputable web site, open up notepad and paste this in....

@echo off
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
@echo REGEDIT4>%TMP%\RemoveMsgr.reg
@echo.>>%TMP%\RemoveMsgr.reg
@echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express]>>%TMP%\RemoveMsgr.reg
@echo "Hide Messenger"=dword:00000002>>%TMP%\RemoveMsgr.reg
@echo.>>%TMP%\RemoveMsgr.reg
regedit /s %TMP%\RemoveMsgr.reg

save it as a *.bat file, close down internet explorer and outlook before running the bat. then reboot. Tons of other great tips here also... sanx.org

Hopefully that will fix the problem, remember, back up your registry first!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: