Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone have anything nice to say about Houston? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Anyone have anything nice to say about Houston?
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 08:01 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious because Brad Miller, Dwaye Caldwell, Jeremy Spracklen, Ethan Harper and I do not.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-09-2006 08:23 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hot and wet there, which is nice unless you're talking about the weather.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2006 09:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has that NASA place. I toured it and swiped some important-looking stuff when they weren't looking. Probably shouldn't have as something blew up on their next mission. Oh well at least I have a neat souvenir as a result and that's what really matters.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2006 09:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Stone, of South Park fame, was born in Houston. My brother was born there too, so I guess that cancels out that cool point.
[evil] [Razz]

Jaclyn Smith (of Charlies Angels), racing legend A.J. Foyt, filmmaker Wes Anderson and actors Randy and Dennis Quaid are all from Houston.

I don't know, there must be something nice about Houston. There's only 2 million+ people living within its city limits and millions more in the suburbs. Maybe they all love traffic.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my ex-employees lives there and she's probably one of the best-looking girls in that city. (Kym, if you happen to read this, it is too true.)

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's great abotu the death penalty in Texas? Less Texans... (sorry, Carlin rules!) [Big Grin] [Razz]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-10-2006 12:25 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, been there once, it sucks, smells funny too [bs]

LOL and I live in fargo....

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2006 12:52 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Bobby...it's a great place to be "from". [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2006 02:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from Houston.

With you were here. Wish I was there (anywhere).

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 02:31 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Jaclyn Smith (of Charlies Angels), racing legend A.J. Foyt, filmmaker Wes Anderson and actors Randy and Dennis Quaid are all from Houston.
How could you leave out Archie Bell, of Archie Bell and the Drells ("in Houston, we just invented a new dance called the Tighten Up. This is the music you Tighten Up with!").

I heard an interesting thing about Texas in general once. Apparently in Texas, you can get away with anything, and I mean anything, including banging the mayor's underage daughter on the hood of a pick-up truck on Main Street at high noon, if you are related to the high school quarterback.

Is this true?

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 02:46 AM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard an interesting thing about Texas in general once. Apparently in Texas, you can get away with anything, and I mean anything, including banging the mayor's underage daughter on the hood of a pick-up truck on Main Street at high noon, if you are related to the high school quarterback.

I don't know if you can get away with ANYTHING in Texas. Maybe if you play high school football. High School football is like a religion in Texas. If you're the star quarterback, people treat you like you're the pope.

I've lived in the Dallas area my whole life. I've never been to Houston before. Judging from what I hear about it, that's probably a good thing. I'll try to stay away from Houston.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 08:01 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh... I was born and raised in Houston. It's BIG and TALL. unlike some cities I know. I lived on the west side of
town (Spring Branch). I worked at the Bellaire Theatre (1200
seat house. Now, it's bigger than when I was there (what isn't);
traffic is bumper to bumper; everyone is on cell-phones...mayhem
like anywhere else. I DO miss it, though. GREAT city!! [thumbsup]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 08:11 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never been to Houston, but had the misfortune to spend a week in Waco once. The high point of that week was seeing Howard The Duck in some generic mall multiplex. As a result of that week in Waco, I have never set foot in Texas again.

Good steaks though...

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 09:31 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from NASA we also have The San Jacinto Monument and The Battleship of Texas for historical attractions.
John Manlove, the Mayor of Pasadena (which is basically a part of Houston), is working with neighboring areas like La Porte to expand upon the history of the area and build it up into a big tourist attraction.
Hopefully this will work, but they will need to do something about that Pasadena smell along Highway 225 that people will have to drive along.

As far as recreation, we really don't have squat that you can't find anywhere else.
for the last 7 or 8 years Astroworld was open, it was nothing to get excited about.
we have a water park called Splashtown but it's your average run of the mill water park.

I don't pay much attention to sports, but this city sure does.
I know the Houston Texans are an embarrassment of a football team, but the Astros have done really well the past couple of years.
The Rockets have done well in the past, but I don't know how they are now.

As far as music goes, there is some talent out there, but how you perceive it depends on your taste.
There was a kid from The Woodlands on American Idol this season who was supposedly pretty good.
Destiny's Child is from here.
It seems lately though, that all we have been known for are our rappers. [puke]
We have a handful of actors (Bobby mentioned a few).

Generally speaking, our people are very nice and hospitable.
Remember, just last year, we invited in survivors of Hurricane Katrina and housed them in the Astrodome and George R. Brown Convention Center when their city flooded and they had nowhere else to go.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-10-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin and his family live in Houston (Tomball). He is a geologist at Exxon-Mobil.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: