Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Jim Schultz the problem was never fully fixed

Comment

Congratulations, John, on your new acquisition. It looks like a wonderful find!
      I recently found this photo in a 1930 magazine. It's a fairly accurate & "anatomically
      correct" miniature model of a 35mm projector- - made entirely of wooden matchsticks.

MatchstickProjector.jpg
      The detail is wonderful! It's even got the arc adjustment contols
      and knife switch on the back, and an external shutter on the front.
      It almost looks like you could run film through it. (Although, being
      of 1930 vintage, the thought of running nitrate film through a
      projector made of wood matchsticks is just asking for trouble!)
      Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 03-21-2022, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
        According to Jim Schultz the problem was never fully fixed
        I said that.....

Comment

Yup Jim! They could have made it easier using wooden matchsticks!!! Leo, I measured the reel shafts and they are just under 7mm, so may be imperial, my Ernemann 2 machines are a good 7mm, and my ernemann 10 they appear to be 9mm!!! Boy, standardization really solved a miriad of problems! By the way, I was reading about Edisons UK exploits and I understand in the turn of the century, Edison refused to apply for international patents on his machines, thus many parties in the UK were making knock-offs, Edison controlled his business by making his films available only to those having regestered Edison machines, thus the Motion Picture Patents Company was formed to provide his protection. So it eventually phased out the imitators.

Comment

Oh yeah; the British movie industry was like the Wild West as far as copyrights and patents were concerned. This was all pre-Berne Convention, and so US patents were not recognized in the UK, and vice-versa. Also at that time, UK patents were a lot more difficult and expensive to apply for, and took many years to be granted (hence if you look at ads for any item of British technology from around that time, you will likely see "patent pending" somewhere on it); all of which might explain why Edison made little serious effort to break into the British market. It was also pretty much mature by the late '00s. Paul, Hepworth, Urban, Kershaw, Prestwich, and others had already developed into quite big businesses. The MPPC was initially an attempt to stop the Lumieres from moving into the American market, by closing off the option of using their equipment with Eastman Kodak film stock.

One of my favorite characters from this period was a farmer turned early movie showman, who called himself Edison Thomas.

Comment

leo, that certainly makes sense. the turn of the century was a definite free for all because of the industrial revolution in the late 1880s, it is amazing how much technical achievements were made in only a few decades as compared to before the 1880s. now i am in search of a manual for the machine, the earliest i have is from 1914 and is similar but it shows the full door glass and the 16" magazines...i sure wish prather was around, i would bet he had a copy from 1911 or 1912....

Comment

finally got a minute to get some detail pix...the intermittent is serial #158, the lower pad is only a single roller with the early style arms, the intermittent ishoe is a primative pair of thin curved straps formed to the sprocket! Of course as with all pre 1914 Simplexes, the serial number of the projector is located on a boss just above the lensholder. The D-6 lower door hinges back for ease of theading and it is missing the upper part that covers the intermittent sprocket preventing film from being pushed into the lamphouse, it appears to have been broken, and it is actually different than the 1913 head I have. Oh well, a casualty of being 120 years old! ss479d1.JPG ss479d2.JPG ss479g1.JPG ss479g2.JPG ss479l.JPG On the gear side, the gears are all steel! (Yet it runs very quietly!) It has the chain sprocket attached to the main drive gear the same as listed in the 1914 parts book, the upper vertical shaft is a one bolt mount and is half sized to the later versions, it does have an attachment point in the base plate for a motor drive pulley. (later used for soundhead drives) The fire shutter has no manual trip lever, only the flyweights lift it. Probably made it a little tough to get in frame.

Comment

Well today I got to see John's junque and it was fantastic!! (Get your minds of the gutter you pervs.)

He has quite the collection, and the gem in this thread has to be seen in person to really appreciate it. As John said, it runs smooth and very quiet, especially considering the all-metal gear train.

In addition to all the cool projection stuff, he has a pretty good collection of radios and transmitters, including some beautiful Hallicrafters (which I hope to acquire one of from him soon.)

Anyways, if you can get out his way in Idaho, do contact him and set up a time to come visit. It will be worth it. He is also working on restoring the historic theatre in Wendell, another thing worth looking into.

Oh, and thanks again John for the lunch at the excellent Mexican restaurant across the street.

Comment

It looks like it was chain-driven at some point it its life. Do you think that's original or a later modification?

Comment

the chain drive is for the take-up reel, european machines preferred chain or direct gear drives for the take up. Some jurisdictions in the USA required chain drive take ups due to fire regulations, ( they did not want belt failure causing film to bunch up and feed toward lamp)the lower magazine has a small 12 tooth sprocket and a 1/2" x 3/32" bicycle chain fits perfectly! the chain take up is listed in my 1914 Simplex parts book.

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                        the chain drive is for the take-up reel, european machines preferred chain or direct gear drives for the take up. Some jurisdictions in the USA required chain drive take ups due to fire regulations, ( they did not want belt failure causing film to bunch up and feed toward lamp)the lower magazine has a small 12 tooth sprocket and a 1/2" x 3/32" bicycle chain fits perfectly! the chain take up is listed in my 1914 Simplex parts book.
                        John, All of the Kalee's I had were all belt drive on take up...

Comment

sorry mark, the early kalee machines i have seen like the 7, 8, etc had chain take ups...

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                            sorry mark, the early kalee machines i have seen like the 7, 8, etc had chain take ups...
                            None of the 8 sets I brought back from Canada had chain drive. That would encompass 6 Model 21 and two Model 20. I even had the original pedestals for most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof
                              Some jurisdictions in the USA required chain drive take ups due to fire regulations...
                              I don't think roundthane would have cut it, somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post

I don't think roundthane would have cut it, somehow...
                                Roundthane was definitely a no-no in Chicago till the late 80's and probably in Boston, which also had the strictest fire and electrical code of the entire country, they even required triple roller fire traps there. Chicago, who was the next strictest, because of the Iroquois Theater Fire which killed 575 people, was next strictest. But V-belts and round leather belting was permitted then, took quite a while for the City to allow platters, and two machine booths were common up into the mid 1990's. Having done quite a bit of install work in Chicago, They have not let up on codes and inspections, but I will say that the City people that came by on my jobs were nice and very helpful.
                                BTW: It is because of the Iriquois Theater Fire that all doors now open out. The Iroquois doors open in...
                                Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 04-05-2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X