Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't remember where I took this picture of an old Motiograph
    about a decade ago. I like how they had the little seat attached
    for the projectionist to sit on while he cranked the machine.

MotiographSeat2.jpg

You can also see the seat (folded down)
    in this 1918 Motiograph advertisement.

MotiographSeat.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post

None of the 8 sets I brought back from Canada had chain drive. That would encompass 6 Model 21 and two Model 20. I even had the original pedestals for most of them.
      Oh, Markie Poo, your advanced age is showing.

John specifically said EARLY models, i.e. 7, 8 etc.

I do believe that they would have later shifted to belt drives for takeups, following suit with other manufacturers so the models you encountered are indeed post-chain drive era.

Comment

I had them going back to 1948...They were a post war projector. They also made VistaVision projectors and had some 35/70's under test. Dick Vaughn, told me it was the 35/70 that sank them

Comment

jim, thats a nice picture of a motio 1A, it has the seat, front shutter and dual flywheels, made from 1915-1920 or so, the motio #1 had only the conical shutter and one flywheel and the stand is the same without seat, i have two of them. was that dick bartels machine? i sure miss him.he had quite a display at ghirardelli square for several years. mark, tony is correct i have seen chain take ups on the pre 1930 kalee silent heads, my 1914 simplex manual touts that the chain tu was recommended for small (2") hub reels no larger than 12" diameter, belt take ups ere recommended for 4 &5" hubs of the B&H design. my machine has the small magazines, it was also noted the chain drive was accepted by ire underwriters in chicago, new york, boston and othe large fire jurisdictions. (in 1914!)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bandiera Jr View Post

Oh, Markie Poo, your advanced age is showing.

John specifically said EARLY models, i.e. 7, 8 etc.

I do believe that they would have later shifted to belt drives for takeups, following suit with other manufacturers so the models you encountered are indeed post-chain drive era.
            I had sound reproducer serial number 188. Is that old enough for you?

Comment

early british silent machines were fitted with 'pull through' non sprocket driven awhsh01.jpg bafsh01.jpg k7psh01.jpg k11we206a.jpg k12mi9030a.jpg sound attachments like the AWH, Klangfilm, etc. thus existing takeu drives were retained. WE/ERPI u-bases as well as WE206 and RCA PS-24, MI-1040 and MI-9030s were also fitted to many early Kalee, Gaumont, and Ross projectors.

Comment

heres a couple machines showing chain tajeup drives and an early Kalee fitted to a WE Uniersal base k803ub.jpg k802ub.jpg kamm009.jpg bth007.jpg

Comment

John, That's a BTH, not a Kalee. And as I mentioned above, I have more interest in the postwar European equipment. I also have a couple of very nice FP-7s here. But overall my interests transfered to DC once it came out.

Comment

no kidding...thats a kalee 7 on the u base they had chains and belts on silent kalees i will have to fing those pictures, these were scanned from fotos i took years ago...

Comment

Working...
                    X