Looking for manual: Strong Copper Oxide rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for manual: Strong Copper Oxide rectifier

Does anyone have a manual for a Strong copper oxide rectifier? This is the one they introduced circa 1936, using the then-new copper oxide stack, to replace rectifier tubes.

A schematic is fine, too. This is just for my leisure, so don't spend a lot of time searching if you don't have anything at hand. I ran a pair of these as a kid, before I knew anything about electronics. Now that I'm retired, I'm curious to know more about what was a mystery to me back then.

If you would, please just send a scan to Brad so it can be preserved in the Warehouse section. Thanks! .

Originally posted by Tim Reed View Post
    Does anyone have a manual for a Strong copper oxide rectifier? This is
    the one they introduced circa 1936, using the then-new copper oxide stack, to replace rectifier tubes.
    One of my old RICHARDSON's Projection books, dated 1935, has this picture & circuit diagram of an
    un-named copper oxide rectifier. I can't imagine there were that many differences between them back
    then. In the early 1970's, I worked with one that looked just like this, which was made by Westinghouse.
    I could tell the Cu2O stacks and fan had been replaced at some point, but the coils, etc were original.

CuOx_DC1.jpg

The circuit is nothing fancy- - but notice no filtering. I do recall the output went through a couple of large
    choke coils before going to the carbon arcs- - and I always assumed these were to remove residual ripple .
    CuOx_DC2.jpg
    The power was controlled by a 110v contactor type relay which, in that booth was wired so
    that you couldn't start the rectifier unless the arc-exhaust fan was running, and, as you can
    see from the circuit diagram, there was also an air-flow switch for the rectifier's internal fan.
    I don't recall the thing putting out that much heat, but I guess those copper stacks would
    overheat pretty quickly without some forced air ventilation.

> At this particular theater, which dated back to around 1917, they still had one of those old
    "Frankenstein's Lab" mercury-vapor rectifiers in place as an 'emergency' DC power back-up.
    I fired that thing up once or twice- - it was pretty scary!
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 10-10-2022, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Jim! Yes, that looks like the Westinghouse rectifier. The Strong unit did operate the fan, which in turn energized the contactor. The knife switch on our machines controlled the fan. I don't remember ours ever getting very hot, either, but copper oxide rectifiers had a time limit of operation. They didn't like anything more than about 20 minutes on at a time.

I'll keep this, thank you. If anyone has literature on the Strong model, I'd be grateful.

Comment

tim, can you give me the 'type' designation off the nameplate? i most likely have an original manual

Comment

Hi, John. Unfortunately, I don't have the type number. It was this one.... open spoke hand wheel, round fan opening on top, and STRONG on the nameplate (they had one with a solid wheel and squarish fan opening that said MOGUL on the plate).
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
          X