Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help bringing a DTS XD10 to "current" software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Sir are correct. It's been a long time...

Comment

I have always burned my DTS CDs at 4x. I had trouble with discs burned faster on the 6D players. For XD10s, discs not reading in the DVD drives is the 2nd most common issue I've had - first being worn out belts. For hard drives, I've not gotten drives over 1T to install correctly. 1T work great. 2T do not get past the partitioning stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaine Young View Post
        I have always burned my DTS CDs at 4x. I had trouble with discs burned faster on the 6D players. For XD10s, discs not reading in the DVD drives is the 2nd most common issue I've had - first being worn out belts. For hard drives, I've not gotten drives over 1T to install correctly. 1T work great. 2T do not get past the partitioning stage.
        Thanks Blaine. I have two DVDrw PATA drives and an 80gig ATA drive to test with shortly. Might just be a belt on those OEM DVD ROMs as you said. If all comes to pass we'll spring for a larger storage drive assuming the system will use it for soundtracks before they start rolling off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher View Post

Thanks Blaine. I have two DVDrw PATA drives and an 80gig ATA drive to test with shortly. Might just be a belt on those OEM DVD ROMs as you said. If all comes to pass we'll spring for a larger storage drive assuming the system will use it for soundtracks before they start rolling off.
          An 80g drive will yield around 52g of feature storage after adjusting the pre-show video size down to 3g. Probably around 50 hours of storage.

Comment

Something you should be able to do is to load a Live-CD Linux OS with a GUI. You'll end up on the desktop and you can see the HDD and the CDs. At that point you can test things in a more user friendly environment. You could also check the SMART table of the HDD to see if it's happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
              If you call DTS, they will send you a factory disk. They sent me one not too long ago...
              I actually tried this earlier this month and Amplifier Technologies wrote back that they no longer have them or offer any support for the DTS/Datasat XD-10.

Like Ryan, I have a couple of XD-10s on old software (2.00.43) that don't want to read the ISO of 2.2.06 that was burned to a DVD+R disc with CDBurnerXP. They display "Loading Discs..." and then "Ejecting CD-ROM" seconds later. One has the same model disc drive as the PC used to burn the ISO, so it shouldn't be a drive or media compatibility issue.

Can anyone advise on the specific settings in CDBurnerXP one has to use for the hardware/OS in the XD-10 to recognize and launch the upgrade process? Or is there something one has to do on the XD-10 itself to start the upgrade besides simply inserting the disc?

Comment

Insert the disc and cycle power as soon as the tray closes. It needs to boot from the setup disc to run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Zarits View Post
                  Insert the disc and cycle power as soon as the tray closes. It needs to boot from the setup disc to run it.
                  Doh! Thanks, that did the trick.

Comment

Many months later I'm happy to report a DVDR drive swap brought mine to a status where it will read discs again.
                    Worn belts was most likely the failure mode.

It became quite the project, as the X10D was trapped in an old in-wall rack by the installation of the freestanding digital rack which overlapped it by an inch.
                    One angle grinder and four 6in relief cuts in the rails at the bottom of the old rack and we were able to pass it out the back side. LOL

After I create the upgrade discs that will be my next task, writing OS to an alternate IDE drive. Will repeat everything to a larger SSD w/adapter if all goes to plan.

Cheers!

Comment

Good to hear that!

Comment

And voila! DTS v2.0.26 loaded on my testing drive! Confirmed USB content loading works! (I forgot how slow USB 1.1 is though, discs are faster if they are available for sure).

Having a monitor plugging in during install made it much nicer experience, constant fedora core progress bars as packages loaded and post-install scripts ran etc.

Now I think I need to hook up the old drive again and notate our setup settings, offset etc. There was no way I saw to save them using a utility, as the 1.2 save config utility said it was for later versions than 1.0.x. No licenses to transfer in our case, just basic settings to match.

Finalized when I get the theatre to order me some non-personal DVD-ROMs and 1TB SSD + SATA adapter, and we should be cooking with gas again.

Then maybe start booking 70mm again! (well one of the system issues is past us anyway).

Thanks for the tip in the forums about resizing the preshow vs feature storage allotments, would have completely missed that.
                        Cheers for the patience and help. I'm sure we'll have more to ask later.
                        Ryan

Comment

Cheers again for the assistance folks.
                          Got the parts this week and now the DTS XD10 is happily purring along with 1TB of SSD storage and v2.2.06 installed.
                          Replacement PATA DVD drives on the way too (has mine in it for now).

My desire to fix it starting last year was the correct one, cause now we are back to DTS capacity for the intended 70mm bookings end of summer. I'll no doubt be pinging Brad for ST downloads once I know the schedule, we did not have enough of them on the old drive to justify attempting to migrate (I say until I can't find one of those somewhere else).

Comment

Working...
                          X