No announcement yet.

70 mm Dune part two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a shame they aren't getting a 5/70 print at SIFF Cinema Downtown (nee Seattle Cinerama). It would be a good exercise for their gear and their team.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Jones View Post
      It's a shame they aren't getting a 5/70 print at SIFF Cinema Downtown (nee Seattle Cinerama). It would be a good exercise for their gear and their team.
      They didn’t get a print of Oppenheimer. They’re aren’t getting Tenet on 70mm, and no Dune on 70mm. I get that Dune has an Atmos mix, which the theater is equipped for, but at least a 1 or 2 week run on film would have been a real treat. I genuinely don’t know what they’re thinking programming-wise. Makes me think they just don’t have a 70mm projectionist on staff, which would be really surprising.

Comment

With Dune Part 2 being a digitally-originated movie if I had the choice between seeing a 5/70mm show of it and a d-cinema show with Dolby Atmos audio, I would probably pick the d-cinema/Atmos show. The choice would be even easier if the Atmos-equipped theater had a properly designed sound system capable of rending Atmos tracks adequately. Plenty of Atmos-capable cinemas are pretty basic and disappointing in that regard.

IIRC, the people at FotoKem now have the rights to the DTS Theatrical process. Those guys could have some conversations with the people at Dolby at making it possible to pair an Atmos audio track with a 5/70mm film print using the classic DTS time code. THIS IS POSSIBLE. All it takes is a bit of software work. The classic 4/35mm and 5/70mm DTS film readers used a RS-232 serial connector. IIRC, the cinema processors that can render Atmos tracks have at least one or more USB inputs. Those old Serial to USB converters may not be any good for this application. But then again such a thing might work. In the worst case scenario a new film reader with native USB connections would be needed. And that's not hard to make. We're just talking about something to get the time code data from the film print inserted into the cinema processor and synced with the Atmos track somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Henderson View Post
          With Dune Part 2 being a digitally-originated movie if I had the choice between seeing a 5/70mm show of it and a d-cinema show with Dolby Atmos audio, I would probably pick the d-cinema/Atmos show.
          I generally agree. The digital presentation with 4K Laser and Atmos should be incredible. It’s just this is the only original 70mm theater in Seattle. The only other room even equipped is the AMC down the street that was a platter retrofit for Hateful 8 that’s been kept up for subsequent 70mm releases (except for Dune). Even a limited 70mm run would have been quite the gift to fans of the theater and fans of a traditional presentation, but alas…

Comment

After 50 years of working in the industry ,I am retiring due to my wife's pancreas cancer and she passed a week ago.
            Willow Creek is getting Dune 2 in 70 hopefully the guy Jon that did train underneath me during Oppenheimer but was never trained on setting up a print ,hopefully he pull it off , I might be a consultant on it, haven't decided yet

Comment

David, sorry to hear about your loss. Warm regards from Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
                But unless you get to see the print at its first or second booking, it will likely be scratched to buggery.
                Speak for yourself, friend.

Comment

I'll be running Dune 2 at the Varsity Toronto. They also play Tenet the week before and leading up to Dune 2.

Comment

The 70mm rerelease of Tenet features a preview of Dune Part Two before it.

if the print I saw of Tenet at Cineplex Varsity is any indication of the final product, it’s going to be a bit of a whiff. The Dune footage was letterboxed to 2.39:1, but also had black bars on both side of the image. Not quite into the 1.85:1 image shape, but bars on all sides nonetheless which made for a disappointing preview. Besides that, the image was soft in all the wrong ways.

Hopefully this was just for the preview. Those who are receiving 5/70 prints, please report back with final info.

Comment

> Does anybody know if there are also any 35mm prints of DUNE II, like there were
                      for O-HEIMER & OUATIH?
                      ("Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" for the aconymically inept)
                      A customer asked me this last night and I really didn't know the answer.

Also, for those who haven't seen them- there are really unique custom HEAD & TAIL
                      leaders on the 70mm D-2 prints. O'Hiemer had custom leaders too, but not this nice.

DuneLeaders_V.jpg
                      Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 02-28-2024, 08:54 AM. Reason: Too Much Coffee

Comment

Jim! You've got the print in hand!

Did it end up being 2.39:1 or full frame 2.20:1??

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haller View Post
                          I'm running 35mm thru tonight, so I haven't handled the print yet except for unpacking and
                          rewinding it. I won't be able to do my 35/70 conversion until around midnite tonight, and I
                          probably won't actually run a couple of reels till early Thurs morning. Since I believe in
                          handling the print as little as possible, I didn't actually stop the reels & look at the image
                          while I had it on the re-wind bench. Brad Miller could answer you better. In an e-mail to
                          me, he did mention something about the image being printed slightly undersize, but I
                          don't want to mis-quote him. Hopefully Brad can chime in and answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haller View Post
                            looks like 2.39 to me.

I had the same experience with the preview in front of tenet in Seattle. It was smaller onscreen and letterboxed compared to the tenet presentation that was clearly full 2.20.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                              In an e-mail to
                              me, he did mention something about the image being printed slightly undersize, but I
                              don't want to mis-quote him. Hopefully Brad can chime in and answer your question.
                              Man that stinks, as that was exactly what I saw during the Tenet re-release. Letterboxed AND under sized. Gross. What a waste.

Comment

Am I incorrect in saying this appears to be Fotokem's standard way of producing 2.39 70mm prints? I am curious as to why they would not size the image to the full width of the frame.

Prints of Roma and Napoleon appear the same as Dune Part Two. Roma was 5 years ago in Dec 2018. Prior to that, Wonder Woman in June 2017 was blown up and cropped to 2.20 for its 70mm release, so maybe something changed in Fotokem's formatting during that 18 month span.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X