Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difference from strng type R switcher and non R type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference from strng type R switcher and non R type?

the title is pretty much the question, I have a 1-3k switcher but its labelled 'R'? looks just like the ones I have without the "R' in the model number...is it maybe reverse polarity for use in the xenon super trouper? model 6290100-R V1

Good question! If they have MS connectors you can open.them up and see if the red and black DC wires are reversed at the connector. However, it could mean "Revised". Is this the wrinkle black, Version 1 suitcase type? Or a compact type? The Compact could be either wrinkle black or gray hammertone. If it's a compact beware that they were derated to 2.5K.

Strong Lighting is still in business, but run as a seperate entity. You could call them.and ask if they might know what the "R" means if you can't determine anything else.

Comment

thanks Mark, it is the compact wrinkle black one label says 'R' TYPE SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY V1 so I would think it is the downgraded one revised from the larger suitcase model...i'm definitely going to check the terminations!

Comment

The "R" might have also stood for "Remote"? Perhaps relating to the ability to remote the current control trim to the console?, or the "Remote Master" feature when having additional slave supplies configured with it? If that was their first time to introduce such features?

Comment

Or Duh... could it just have stood for "Receptacle"... to reference the MS Connector units? I have a variety, I'll have to check.

I know it did not reference the existence or non-existence of the "Spot/Console" mode switch. Have a couple "R" series both with and without that.

Comment

I'm pretty sure an "R" was "refurbished" or "reconditioned". As in it came back to Strong and was worked on.

Comment

Thanks guys! Steve your suggestion is probably the one, like Mark said the early black versions were having a lot of failures by running 3kw loads...makes sense, I forgot that I had three different ones fried and were exchanged by Strong, I never paid attention to the replacements...

Comment

Working...
              X