Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35mm sound tech in The Pacific Northwest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35mm sound tech in The Pacific Northwest?

We are getting ready to run 35mm film again in Spokane Washington at the Garland Theatre (1945). We recently updated our LED on our sound head but we are experiencing “motorboating”. We need an alignment with buzz track…etc.

Anybody in the area that can service us?

Thanks,

Luke Anderson -35mm Projectionist

Garland Theatre

924 W. Garland
    Spokane, Wa

Try calling McRae Theater Equipment in Seattle. They've been around for years and have a lot of experience...

Comment

hey Luke...which of the two 35's did you end up keeping...last time i was there one was a century SA and the other was a ballantyne Pro 35.

Comment

We have one of the old Ballantyne pro 35s from The Newport 8. They put that in and took out the Century projectors when The Newport closed 20 years ago. It was literally powered on all of that time. That’s why we replaced the old LED.

Comment

I'd take the Pro 35's back out and put the Century's back in. Pro 35 is one of the worst projectors ever. It has lots of Nick names, but my favorite is " The original rock and roll projector. It has no lateral guidance of the film at the gate. And if the nylon coupling isn't in good shape then the image bounce adds to the overall effect. But! The Disney versions were excellent, because they threw out the coupling. Only draw back was lack of framing.

Comment

I agree, I loved the old Century projectors. But I was working at other theatres at the time and had no say. Who knows what happened to that those things, long gone.

Comment

Bummer... I hope the coupling is ok...

Comment

There are two techs in Southern California that I could put you in touch with if you can't find anyone closer and end up needing to fly someone in: feel free to PM me if you'd like contact details. Might also be worth asking Northwest Projection out of Portland if they could help.

Comment

does the soundhead have an actual LED assembly or is it one of the units that had a Jaxlight (which would have been plugged in where the exciter bulb used to go)? I don't remember if i converted those before i moved to seattle. Regal was big on the Jaxlights for a while there.

how soon are you planning on running film? I live in Seattle now and wouldn't mind helping out to get you going as long as you could cover some basic expenses to get me over there. my only issue is that a lot of my equipment is in storage and it might take a little while to find it all again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                    Try calling McRae Theater Equipment in Seattle. They've been around for years and have a lot of experience...
                    2nd McRae. My manager at PacSci recommends them and that’s who SIFF uses for their more in-depth 35mm system maintenance.

Comment

Aaron Ridenour is top notch. I can put you in touch if needed.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I believe Tim Androes above, who actually maintained this exact machine for decades is going to make the trip from Seattle to get us sounding right again. Thanks Tim I have emailed you.

Luke

Comment

Working...
                        X