SDDS DFP-D2000 System OK led not lit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDDS DFP-D2000 System OK led not lit

I'm trying to add SDDS to my home setup, but have run into a (potential) issue. I have a DFP-D2000 and R2000 (would have preferred the 3000 as they seem to be better received and talked about here, but 2000s seem more common), but when I connect them up, and power on the D2000 on my bench, the "System OK" led does not light up.

I haven't had a chance to work out how/where I'm going to mount the reader on my projector, to run film through it, but I thought I should probably investigate this "System OK" issue before I go to that trouble.

So far I have replaced the CR2016 battery (and checked it is measuring 3v), and checked that the "System OK" led does light briefly during power-up, so I know it's not a bad led.

I have also connected to the processor over serial using the SDDS configuration software, and it connects fine. I tried to set the date/time using that software, but no matter what I do, it doesn't take effect, and immediately goes back to the incorrect date/time. Do you have to "upload" or "finalize" any changes you make using the software? I was changing the date/time, then choosing "Disconnect", but it didn't prompt me to upload/finalize my changes. Then when connecting again, if I tried to see the system status, it would show the incorrect date/time.

Do you think these two issues (System OK led, and date/time not holding) are related? Are there any error logs I can look at to see why the System OK is not lit? Any other things I should try?

It's been WAY too long since I've played with one of these to know the answers to your questions. I do recall needing to use the LCD display on the back of the front panel (and its associated buttons) for some things.

They do not like to be hot-plugged and it is possible to cause failures if they are hot-plugged. For some reason, I seem to recall there being a CR-2025 battery but I may be confusing the 2500/3000 series there.

The 2000 series was much more prone to board failure than the 3000 series. I remember having a "cube" of spare boards/fans/power supplies to carry into the field to ensure I had whatever might have failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
      For some reason, I seem to recall there being a CR-2025 battery but I may be confusing the 2500/3000 series there.
      You're right - it is a CR2025, I had got mixed up. I did fit a CR2025, not a CR2016.

I'm hoping the fact that I can connect to it over serial, and it reads the memory contents, is a good thing.

Do you, or anyone else, know whether the System OK led being unlit is a show-stopper? Or could it still work? Basically - do I spend the time drilling and mounting the reader on my projector before this is resolved, or is it worth trying out?

Comment

[EDIT] Removed incorrect information.
        Last edited by Steve Guttag; 05-26-2024, 02:52 PM.

Comment

My knowledge of the SDDS system is very limited, though I do have a 3000 here.

From the 3000 manual:

systemok.jpg

So maybe check that there is no corrosion at the battery socket?

Also this

systemok2.jpg
          Does the head receive power? Does the LED turn on if you turn the sprocket? If memory serves there's a way to connect to the head via serial, which is a small system by itself.

Sorry, not much, I know.

Comment

I've serviced lots of them out west. But only at board level. Once Sony stopped supplying parts for that year long period, I replaced failed 2000's with CP-650's. After a few years those also failed (Power supply). I was also able to re-LED the 2000 scanner arrays after having an LED supply company analyze the Sony LED used in the array's. The individual LED's were a long life hi-intensity type and only cost about .30 cents each in 100 quantity. The 2000 units I removed were used as door stops in some booths. Once D-Cinema came along I was happy to throw the remaining units in the back of the scrap dumpster, often out a second floor equipment access door. The 3000's never gave much trouble except worn out lateral guide rollers in the penthouse. I think all in all I had about 60 2000's and 20 3000's that I serviced and or threw out after installing a 650.

Comment

isn't it funny that in 2024 Sony equipment is AGAIN used as a doorstop in many cinemas?

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Giustini View Post
                isn't it funny that in 2024 Sony equipment is AGAIN used as a doorstop in many cinemas?
                Yes, they seem to have developed a pattern in cinema... But hey... They sound great when they're working. How long they continue to play back a film seems to be inversley proportionate to the condition of the projector film path, and the type of platter system used...

Comment

I never liked the 3000's magnetic clutch sprocket. It felt like too much tension and the sprocket work out too quick. The 2000's reader was too delicate/temperamental. One could dial it in (very similar to a Dolby Digital reader...but x2 and with way smaller screws that would move things as you tightened). If you changed the factory sprocket for a hardcoat version, the sprocket lasted longer than SDDS did. Like Dolby, I think Sony went a little too lite on the flywheel. With more mass, it should have cut down on the jitter. And, of course, the original SDDS 2000 changeover scheme was absurd...but we fixed that.

Comment

The sprocket on the 2000 was aluminum and could be anodized or hard coated without changing the specs of the teeth enough to matter. I believe the 3000 sprocket was aluminum as well. But there was something special about it that I don't remember exactly, but an off the shelf LaVezzi sprocket would not work on the 3000, nor wold it have been worth having LaVezzi make them.

Comment

I do not remember the system ok light. It's been 2 decades since I was weith Sony Cinema Products. At that time I knew these 2000 systems pretty well in detail, but you seem to forget, for reasons.
                      The battery is 3 V lithium, and only buffers the RTC and, I'm not 100% sure anymore, the setting content. Which I remember was in a buffered RAM.
                      AFAIK the description is in the manual.
                      If connecting with the hardware serial number (the one in the memory, visible on the 2 line LCD inside the front panel) over a zero modem cable (either solder yourself or use a gender changer on a ready made PC on), use a computer (Win XP at maximum), and the "system settings are retrieved" bar proceeds to the end, the system seems to be ok.
                      The RTC is not mandatory for operation.
                      Keep in mind LEDs age at time, and the HP ones originally installed do age quickly, as the legs resonate under the driving frequency, so humidity enters and makes the reflectors dull.
                      New LEDs were Toshiba brand high output red, or the conversion kit for the LED with diffuser used in the 2500/ 3000 system. It is possible to replace these with basic ones from Farnell, RS or any other supplier.
                      The OEM sprockets were warranted to last 7500 hours, and made of a hardened soft metal. Not that durable. Like with their lamps on the 500 series projectors later on, they replaced them within this period for a free new one. We sometimes encountered customers to ask for an early fail replacement, to get a replacement, and thenm user the old one up, replace it afterwards with the new one. 15 k hrs was an ok lifespan we thought, equal to 10 years of usage in normal conditions.

Comment

I guess when you see the SDDS sound cameras for sale on Ebay, you know it's for sure over... Doesn't look quite complete up on top and some rollers have rust on them. But good museum piece...
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                          I guess when you see the SDDS sound cameras for sale on Ebay, you know it's for sure over... Doesn't look quite complete up on top and some rollers have rust on them. But good museum piece...
                          Cool, the old camera system from the 2000 times. There's a revised one for the 3000 system. Still the one one on the image needs the control electronics...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Scholz View Post

Cool, the old camera system from the 2000 times. There's a revised one for the 3000 system. Still the one one on the image needs the control electronics...
                            Stefan,

Turns out this stuff is from NT Audio Visual, the seller has even more stuff... This Westrex sound camera could still be useful it it were all there.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Over the years I did collect sound cameras, we do have 2 galvanometer based ones, for Mono and bilingual tracks, Fougurelle by Rene Picot the brand. One ribbon bilingual with a NuOptics drive amp, a DTS 35 mm exposure unit and timecode generator (unfortunately "enhanced EPROM"), and my SDDS 3000 exposure unit and electronics

What I didn't realize initially, it takes such a lot of experience to shoot sound negatives, let alone adjusting the exposure lamp current might take a couple of the document film cans before it's done right. Not to think of the special sound negative film required for SDDS. Plus the constant developing process. A nightmare to think of, without hundred thousands of feet done in a row..
                              My initial idea, shooting test films required to set up projection systems.
                              Plus, I know many friends that have collected picture cameras, from Arris to Askanias, and Mitchells. None has the opportunity to make sound on film.

At the end we should rely on those that can still do it, and they they do have a lot of trouble getting it right. "It sounds ok over the optical monitoring, but the printed tracks sound sybilant and modulation distorted." has been a question I was asked recently.
                              Then knowing about the low fs of the galvano cameras, even lower for the ribbon, and the tremendous hf boost amount, it is quite clear, this is no future. If sound negative is required it should be done using the laser machines from Japan Radio or Albrecht.

Comment

Working...
                              X