Clear All

• "HEAD" (1968)

"HEAD" (1968)
    >5 Reels - Mono Sound
    >FLAT
    (I was asked to run it at 1:85, but it was open matte, so I think it might
    have looked OK if run at 1:37 too)
    > Print Stock: There were no ID or date codes anywhere on the print. It was
    acetate, and although it didn't look or feel like IB-Tech, it had the old style
    Technicolor leaders, and there were Technicolor IDs that had printed through
    from the negative, and it handled a bit like the blank stock that Technicolor used
    for IB. So I don't know what it was, but the color was excellent. While there was
    no date codes on the film stock, info that printed through from the negative lead
    me to believe that this print, or at least the internegative, was from the mid 1990's.
    This title is rarely seen in 35mm, so we had a good turn-out.

TODAY's FUN FOTOs:

It's been a long time since I've seen one of these!
    MPAA-G.jpg

"HEAD" had the 2nd most unusual Columbia Pictures logo I can recall seeing!
    HEAD_ColPixLgoF.jpg

While the print was in great shape, it was shipped on cores, which were in
    lab cans, that were inside of an ICC shipping case, that was in a box, which
    was nested inside another box. . .

2_HEADS.jpg
    Also for some reason, they shipped me TWO complete prints. . .
    (Maybe they believe the old saying that "Two HEADS are better than one! )
    . . and it was it was shipped 'tails-out'- - but do you know how friggin' confusing
    it can be when you've got 10 rolls of film on cores all with the word HEAD at both ends?
    Aggggah! - - I was glad to finally get it outta the booth, even though it took me over an
    hour to pack it all up again.
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 06-25-2024, 05:51 PM.

The Criterion DVD of this title is 1.78:1, which it calls the "director's preferred aspect ratio", although it's pretty unlikely that he composed for that in 1968. It looks fine, though.

I'm a little curious who sent you the prints. Columbia transferred this to Rhino Entertainment a long time ago. I wonder who handles theatrical for it now. I know Quentin Tarantino has a personal copy that screens at the New Beverly now and then, but you're right, it doesn't turn up in 35mm much. I've always been a little surprised that it isn't a more popular midnight/rep title.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ogden View Post
      I'm a little curious who sent you the prints.
      Columbia transferred this to Rhino Entertainment a long time ago..
      I didn't handle the booking on this, but I do recall seeing some Rhino Entertainment
      paperwork in one of the cans inside of one of the boxes that was inside the other box.

Comment

Working...
      X