Ben-Hur (1959)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben-Hur (1959)

My wife is out of town for a few days so to kill 2 evenings, I watched Ben-Hur in the theater after the regular shows a couple of nights ago. I hadn't watched it in full in probably 10 years or more, and my wife doesn't really have a big desire to watch it, so I "flew solo."

When I was a kid, I liked the action scenes, and then after growing up I realized there's also a great storyline. So, over the years it became one of my favorite movies.

Some of the acting (especially by Stephen Boyd, who plays the "bad guy" Messala) goes over the top, but he's still a very convincing villain. Ben-Hur's eventual love interest, Esther, is played by Isreali actress Haya Harareet in her first major film role. She's good, but her inexperience shows. Charlton Heston does his usual outstanding job in the title role and the rest of the supporting cast is fine, especially Hugh Griffith, who provides some comic relief in the middle of the movie. ("One God, that I can understand, but one wife? That is not civilized!")

As good as the cast is, the real star of this movie is the filmmaking. There are some 10,000 extras, over 300 sets, thousands of costumes on display. To call this movie a "grand epic" is an understatement. The cinematography is outstanding, especially given the wider-than-Scope aspect ratio.

The two most famous scenes, the sea battle and the chariot race, remain amazing even almost 65 years later. The staging and editing of both of these scenes just leave the viewer breathless. Even knowing how they were going to go, I still found myself completely immersed, even though the sea battle scene is the less-effective of the two by a good bit.

My other two favorite parts of the movie are the nativity scene at the beginning, and Christ's crucifixion scene at the end. Both are beautifully done without words. The nativity has all the joy contained in the music, and the crucifixion is starkly quiet.

I was watching from a DCP I created from a Blu-Ray that has a 5.1 sound mix, which was really good. During the action scenes and the ending storm scene, there was a nice use of surrounds, which I assume wasn't a thing in the '50s, even in roadshow engagements(?). The orchestrations could have used a little more "bass" but that's a common thing in older movies.

I thought it was kind of odd that the movie has an Overture and an Entr'acte, but no exit music -- or at least, none was included on the blu-ray. I wonder if it was always that way or if something got lost? Another interesting tidbit is, this is apparently the only MGM movie in which Leo the Lion is a still image, because director William Wyler thought a roaring lion would detract from the solemnity of the opening scenes.

This is one of the long, long list of movies that would be decent on a TV screen, but will blow you away in a good theater.
    Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 10-02-2023, 10:14 PM.

Earlier this year, I read a book titled "THE WIZARD OF MGM" written by A.Arnold Gillespie, who not only did
    special effects for both the 1925 AND 1959 versions of BEN HUR, but also was the special effects tech on
    such films as The Wizard of Oz, San Francisco, Forbidden Planet, Mutiny On The Bounty, QuoVadis North
    By Northwest and enough other cinema classics that could fill the rest of this page. The entire book is
    incredibly detailed with lots of production stills, storyboards, 'behind the scene' production memos and
    photos, and there is a very extensive chapter on the both BEN HUR's that gives some insight to sweat
    (and sometimes, blood) that went into making those classics. (Also, if you're a FORBIDDEN PLANET
    fan, there's extensive photos, budget breakdown sheets, storyboards and stills from outtakes from that
    film too) - - But I found the BEN HUR chapter (esp the parts about the 1925 production) very interesting.
    IMO the book is well worth the appx $30us price if you can get your hands on a copy.
    I did some quick research and AAG seems to be the only person I could find who worked on both Ben
    Hur's. I'm surprised they didn't at least get Francis X Bushman, who had a major part in the 1925 film
    to do a bit part in the 1959 version. He was still around and appearing in TV shows (like Perry Mason)
    through the mid 1960's. He even appeared with Groucho Marx on "You Bet Your Life" in the late 50's.

On another note- - I worked for two days as a paid extra on "Airport 75". When I first saw Charlton
    Heston walk onto the set, I was initially surprised at "how small" he was. Don't get me wrong- - even
    though he stood 6'3 and and appeared to be in athletically excellent shape for a man in his mid 50's,
    I guess after only seeing him on screen, often shot from low camera angles, in such heroic roles as
    Moses, and Ben Hur, etc, I guess I was just expecting a "giant" man of some sort. That was just my
    first impression when I saw him. While I can't claim to have ever interacted with him other than to
    say hello one morning, he was always a gentleman on the set, and a couple of times when things
    weren't going well, and artistic tempers got tense, he was the guy who said something that 'broke
    the ice' and cracked everyone up, more than once. I recall he seemed to have quite a sense of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
      ...I thought it was kind of odd that the movie has an Overture and an Entr'acte, but no exit music -- or at least, none was included on the blu-ray. I wonder if it was always that way or if something got lost? Another interesting tidbit is, this is apparently the only MGM movie in which Leo the Lion is a still image, because director William Wyler thought a roaring lion would detract from the solemnity of the opening scenes.

This is one of the long, long list of movies that would be decent on a TV screen, but will blow you away in a good theater.
      I could find no mention of Exit Music in the bluray reviews, but the score did have a track for it (see https://www.amazon.com/Overture-Act-.../dp/B015S5EN2M).

That track has been posted on YouTube:

Comment

As like most major silent movies, there was also a musical score written for the 1925 silent
        version of Ben Hur. There were various arrangements available depending on if it was going
        to be played by an orchestra, or a piano or organist. This is frontispiece from the piano version:
        BenHurPianoScore.jpg

(Trivial Trivia: I was once hired to do the audio at a silent film festival- -
        . . . it was an EASY gig! lol! )
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
          I was watching from a DCP I created from a Blu-Ray that has a 5.1 sound mix, which was really good. During the action scenes and the ending storm scene, there was a nice use of surrounds, which I assume wasn't a thing in the '50s, even in roadshow engagements(?). The orchestrations could have used a little more "bass" but that's a common thing in older movies.
          From what I can find, Ben-Hur was released with a 6 track mix when shown in 70mm, so most likely five screen channels and a mono surround. I'm sure the Blu-Ray is a new mix though, most likely from the original stems.

Comment

Correct! I had four reels of it in my collection back in the 80's. Straight mag, and although the color was faded, the mag sound itself was overwhelming. I also owned the 57mm Panatar lens used on the charriot scene and probably a number of other scenes. It was the widest angle Ultra Panavision lens back then. It has since gone to a safer "museum".

Comment

I remember as a kid seeing 'Ben Hur' at the UA Hollywood Egyptian Theatre in 70mm & 6 track stereo. A great place to see this classic roadshow film. I can't remember If It was shown on their Todd-AO curved screen? The same week my grandmother also took me down the street to see 'South Seas Adventure' on the giant curved screen at the Warner Hollywood Cinerama Theatre. At least both of these former roadshow theatres are still standing. The Warner Hollywood Cinerama all closed up still and the UA Egyptian soon to be re opened by Net Flix. No more curved D-150 screen with curtains just a semi small flat screen now. Hollywood is way short on movie theatres now that the Arclights are closed but may open again soon with the Cinerama Hollywood Dome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

I could find no mention of Exit Music in the bluray reviews, but the score did have a track for it (see https://www.amazon.com/Overture-Act-.../dp/B015S5EN2M).

That track has been posted on YouTube:

I'm still not sure if that's legit or not. The last time we played this movie, I did some research and found that most sources indicate there was never an official exit music released for Ben Hur...

Comment

Working...
                X